The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Dark Watch Harpy Variant Unlock

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Andy7675
Dark Watch Harpy Variant Unlock

Starting this out cause it doesn't look like there's a variant discussion yet.

could be in line with the unlock condition for Heroic Luminary.

as someone less familiar with the lore, any theories as to the story progression of Harpy?

Alternatively it could be similar to the Dark Watch variant unlocks?

Let's get this variant!

"Wait, i have to do WHAT to unlock that? How the heck did the community figure THAT one out?"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Well, if it's similar to Luminary, I'd guess the first game is "win a fight against The Matriarch in Rook City without The Harpy on the team."

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Andy7675

Tried beating Matriarch in Rook City with Tacyon dealing the final blow (not using Harpy or any Dark Watch heroes.)

then tried winning a game with Dark Watch (minus Harpy) in Rook City.

now screwing around with Harpy plays in rook city. 

As yet no unlock.

"Wait, i have to do WHAT to unlock that? How the heck did the community figure THAT one out?"

The PayneTrayne
Playtester

It's not beat Matriarch in Rook City, then beating Skinwalker Gloomweaver in Realm of Discord with Harpy dealing the finishing blow.

Addendum: Beating Apostate in the Realm of Discord with Harpy delivering finishing blow didn't get it either.

Andy7675

I will save you all the time of doing this one-

beat Chairman in Rook City using full Dark Watch plus Harpy.

ugh.

No unlock, but could be prereq as i have not played since.

Fixer dealt final blow, Nightmist handicapped (if it matters)

Blackfang108
Playtester

My assumption is that, if this is a multiple level unlock like Luminary, the final step wil include "without Nightmist" because story.

statue345

I tried fighting Apostate in the Realm of Discord with Harpy and no Nightmist and had Harpy destroy all of Apostates relics. No unlock.

NyxFSSD

Got myself an unlock! Discussion in Discord lead to the potential of it requiring a different difficulty, so I've been playing games on Advanced and Challenge. Don't know if it's important. Also had comments about going from 5 bird to 5 magic, to represent her gaining control over her magic, so I did that ASAP and kept her at 5 magic after that. Tried a lot of games in Realm of Discord and only two in Temple of Zhu Long (including the unlock, though I didn't keep logs of all my attempts), so potentially it *can't* be in Realm of Discord? Or I just managed to do something in Zhu Long that I hadn't in RoD.

Would seem odd if it can't be RoD, since that's where she ran into Gloomweaver, but Gloomy might also be a fluke of relation to the unlock.

https://puu.sh/DgTXV/26c982c265.png

https://pastebin.com/r7uMR5PT

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Had you previously beaten the Matriarch? If so, where and with whom?

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

NyxFSSD

Yes, but it's irrelevant. No entries are shown in the registry to indicate other conditions, which shows this is a single battle unlock.

Andy7675

So it happened at the end of the game in a game with Tach, Leg, Nat, AA, and Harpy, against Gloomweaver in Zhu Long.

time to start the grind.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The community has discovered the official unlock condition for Dark Watch Harpy.

Defeat Advanced GloomWeaver in the Realm of Discord with The Harpy on the team. Flip all control tokens to avian, then all to arcana. After that, they must remain all arcana until the end of the game. The Harpy must destroy at least one villain relic, and may not be incapacitated.

NOTE: There is a bug where you can unlock the variant in any environment. This will be fixed in the next update.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

well heck :O

It sounds like a good strategy might be to go full bird until you take the relic out, then go arcana bit by bit before the win.

JimB
JimB's picture

I can't get either Harpy or Luminary to show that they have variants available on my iPhone. Anyone else having this problem?

Kupo.

FearLord

JimB wrote:

I can't get either Harpy or Luminary to show that they have variants available on my iPhone. Anyone else having this problem?

Harpy wasn’t showing a variant available on my iPad this morning, but it still gave me the unlock.

FearLord

TakeWalker wrote:

well heck :O

It sounds like a good strategy might be to go full bird until you take the relic out, then go arcana bit by bit before the win.

I just played a couple of one shots to get to full bird straightaway and then quickly got set up to full Arcane and kept it that way - only dodgy point was when the environment played the Ghostly Apparitions thing which could have played a one shot and flipped some tokens, but I got lucky!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I did it, and didn't unlock it... Turns out, it's because she doesn't show that the variant is available for unlock. I even redownload the files, and it's still not there. What do I do?

Edit: I had to close the app and restart it. Now I should be able to do it.

Edit 2: Did it. Pretty easy with Legacy, TLT, Argent Adept, and Harpy (in that order)

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

JimB wrote:

Two things I’d suggest.  First making sure the app is up to date.  If it is, force close the app and relaunch the game then try. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ensign53
Ensign53's picture
Playtester

App is up to date, tried twice, can't get the unlock for DW Harpy. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Attachment(s): 
FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

Ensign53 wrote:

App is up to date, tried twice, can't get the unlock for DW Harpy. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Found it! After you flipped all your tokens from Avian to Arcana, it looks like you started flipping them back to Avian.

You have to go Full Avian, then Full Arcana, then never flip tokens for the rest of the game. 

Ensign53
Ensign53's picture
Playtester

I swear I didn't think I did that... I know I went full arcana before I went full bird, then went back to full arcane.... Was something flipping them that I didn't control?

FearLord

Ensign53 wrote:

I swear I didn't think I did that... I know I went full arcana before I went full bird, then went back to full arcane.... Was something flipping them that I didn't control?

I haven’t looked at your log, but Uncontrollable Flock flips one Arcane Token to Avian at the start of your turn with no choice. Conjured Aura lets you change them out of turn when you take damage, but the game offers you a choice for that.

RySmith6
RySmith6's picture
Game DesignerPlaytester

As a warning, I had all three relics in GW's trash, then Ghostly Images played Direct Strike from Harpy's deck during the Environment Turn before the Villain Turn that would have ended the game.

Make sure that you have at least a little deck control to make sure that doesn't happen to you, intrepid explorers!

"But dice are dice, and Dice are Fickle"

Internet Pseudonyms: PseudonymTwitch, PseudonymTweetr, PseudonymGamer

Blackfang108
Playtester

After the time I faled to get an unlock because the Naturalist insta-killed Voss instead of killing him via HP, I never use instant win conditions to unlock variants.

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

Ensign53 wrote:

Okay, I went back in and tracked all of the flips, and... uh... I'm not sure what's going on but it's something.

Harpy starts with 3 Arcana, 2 Avian
Magical Bequest turned it to 4/1
Conjured Aura flipped it back to 3/2
Mystic Outburst flipped two to to make it 1/4. 
Tenuous Focus flipped you to all Avian tokens.
Then you started the flip back: 
Tenuous Focus flipped you to 1/4
Magical Bequest took you to 2/3
Magical Bequest took you to 3/2
Magical Bequest took you to 4/1
You accidentally killed the book with Huginn and Munnin, and undid the end of the turn. 
Huginn & Muninn took you back to 3/2
Then we get the following line:

While in preview mode, a decision made the result unknowable.

I think during that time you jumped up to 4 Arcana, 1 Avian, because: 

Mystical Outburst is listed as flipping three tokens to Avian.

Huginn & Munnin added another flip to Avian, making things 5 Avian.

Conjured Aura flipped one token to Arcana.

Magical Bequest gave you a second Arcana.

Huginn & Munnin gave you a third Arcana.

Magical Bequest gave you a fourth Arcana.

Magical Bequest filled your Arcana. 

My guess is that the condition wasn't filled because you went full Avian, started on the path back to Arcana, then doubled back and filled Avian again before you went full Arcana. The condition might not allow token flipping once you've filled one side. 

Powerhound_2000

elius wrote:
<p>I have made further progress. I just beat Baron Blade on Mars with Luminary, Unity Termination, Super Sci Tach, Cosmic Inventor Writhe and Omnitron X.</p>

That's not related to this unlock 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Looks like a spam post.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Powerhound_2000

Yep and suddenly random links are in the post now.