The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Custom Issues with the Multiverse

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
ericoftheverse
Custom Issues with the Multiverse

Hey there,

because I (as a laaaate backer) can´t post on the kickstarter page and I didn´t receive an answer

to one of my last 3 mails to GTG I´ll try it this way.

I was one of the guys who jumped late on the Sentinels Train and I went all in at the Obliveon Campaign as a late backer/preorder guy (444$ including shipping)

Two weeks ago I was really happy when I got a mail from fedex saying that a big bunch of the sentinels stuff was on it´s way.

Just to inform you, I´m not one of the guys who allready received that stuff in 2016, for me it was the first shipment of all the goodies and I was(am) really

exited.

Last week on monday the first bummer : Fedex called me that they need some information regarding the package because it´s stucked at cologne airport for customs stuff... They gave me 5 days to solve the problem.

I checked the KS page and found out that I´m not the only one with that problem... I wrote to warehouse@greaterthangames.com as suggested here in the forum

and I got a really fast answer! GTG send me an Invoice regarding the value of the package and I send it right away to fedex. Hope arised.

Two days later bummer number 2: The Invoice wasn´t enough for fedex. They wanted some sort of payment information from me.

Here are the problems:

I can only accsess they payments of the last 12 month only on my credit card. To get older bills they would have to send them to me via post. 4-6 working days.

The second problme is, that I only have a bill for the whole package "444§". That would be over 100$ customs + extra handling.

I´m sure I read on several ocasions and locations that the campaign would be EU friendly and everything would be shipped from the EU warehouse...

So I wrote GTG another 3 mails regarding the problem with customs and Fedex but got no answer.

I would, with a grain of salt, pay the customs for the 194$ package waiting at cologne but fedex need some partial payment confirmation from GTG.

By now I´m not even sure if the box ist still at the airport because fedex is also not responding to my mail... Game may allready be on it´s way back (5days are over).

So how will I get the stuff that I payed for? Are some people getting 2 sets of the bundle and some other unlucky ones none?

And again: why no eu-friendly shipping?

Sorry for my bad englisch

greetings

Eric

Hankroyd

On their defense, I guess it's more a problem with German Custom and/or FedEx.

This is the third package I receive for this KS, I can confirm this is EU friendly.

French customs didn't have problem with the package, and I got the impression that all people having that custom problem were German.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I ship to Germany a lot for my job.  They always present extra challenges compared to much of the rest of the EU.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Eric,

I'm really sorry that you are having this problem and that German customs doesn't believe us! I'll let Jodie know about this continued problem and see what we can do to help.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

RobK

From what I learned from e-mailing with Jodie and calling FedEx here in Germany, the following caused the customs issue:

FedEx made errors when processing the packages for international shipment and attached a wrong (or even made-up) commercial invoice over $19. When the package arrived in Germany, it was applied for local customs by FedEx.

German customs needs to know the cost of goods to calculate the customs amount. Of course, they doubted the value of $19 as per invoice for such a big package. Also, as far as I know, €22 is the amount of customs exemption, which makes it even more dubious. Jodie sent me correct invoice, after I explained her my issue.

I sent the correct invoice to FedEx. But FedEx now has the procedure of asking for a proof of payment, as the invoice is in doubt. The responsible clearance broker was very stubborn. He did not understand that there was no proof of payment but kept asking me for one, since it seems to be FedEx standard procedure.

The solution was to call FedEx and specifically asking for re-applying the package for customs with the correct commercial invoice I've sent them earlier per e-mail. This worked out for me at least and today I received the package.

Additional information: FedEx told me that they contact the sender of an international shipment first, before they return a package. So I guess, there isn't so much stress behind this "five days or else" rule.

I still feel bad, since I already received all the contents and have a strong feeling that I pledged way less on kickstarter, than what I have received or will be receiving from you. Not to mention all the time and work you put into this. I will contact one of you today or tomorrow, because I want to somehow correct this.

ericoftheverse

Hey Paul,

thanks for the answer... I hope Jodie can help somehow.

@RobK: thx for the information! Its quite hard to get in contact with anybody at Fedex who can think outisde the box... They still don´t believe me and want

a proof of payment ( and I don´t have one)

So I´m not sure if it would be the best if the games go back to GTG... Some guys on the ks-comments write about horrendous custom charges

and I honestly won´t pay any additional shipping/custom charges for a box that was supposed to ship from the EU-warehouse and no the US one...

Did you have to pay for customs  @ RobK?

RobK

@ericoftheverse, no I did not pay for customs. As far as I was told, GTG will pay the fees.

And I read the comment on Kickstarter about custom fees for a horrendous cost of goods. It sounds like the person was unable to get the correct invoice through and customs estimated the amount. As far as I read their previous comments, they already have the contents of the package. Why they then still insisted on having it processed is beyond my understanding. And they did not receive a customs bill with the package (which is normally the case, if you have to pay customs), so I doubt they have to pay them.
Their sentence about "[GTG's] shipping mistake might end up costing [them] more than it costs [GTG]" sounds like irresponsible scaremongering in my ears. Firstly, because ~20 % of €350 = €70 custom fees against actual ~€200 cost of goods, and secondly because this person probalby does not have to pay the fees. I'm rather afraid that their mistake of having the cost of goods estimated instead of reapplying the package for customs with the correct invoice will cost GTG even more.

Mosch

I think I might be the person you're talking about. You know, since you quoted me and all wink

First of all, let me be clear that I doubt that anyone will pay the ridiculous amount Fedex quoted me. That said, I am now somewhat sure that this courier service in particular is staffed by slightly moistened socks.

Let's get to the numbers first: Fedex told me that customs estimated the goods to be worth 350€. This was despite me sending them the invoice - first the wrong one (GTG accidently sent me the wrong one and I did not bother to double check - that's on me), then the right one. I never asked them to estimate the value. It would later turn out that nobody at Fedex has even read my emails ( I was told that on the phone by a custome service agent who also insisted that any contact should be mail only), so them estimating the value kinda made sense. This would have put me at a customs bill  of ~96€ (RobK is right in that there is 19% tax, but in additional there is a 7% customs charge to be paid). But, and that's a really cute one, customs charges have to be calculated including shipping - which, for reasons I can not fathom, Fedex told me would be roughly 250€. My potential bill is now suddenly ~165€. If you're feeling cheeky, consider adding the random processing and warehouse fee that Fedex (unlawfully, apparently) demands and you might understand why I was (and, to be honest, still kind of am) freaked out about this. Yes, 165€ would be a nice price for the game, but I already have all of it. It would be wasted money.

Now why did I even have it processed? Surely I could have just denied accepting the parcel?

It's a combination of lack of information and, bluntly put, lies. First of all, well, I ordered something via kickstarter from GTG, GTG sends me a parcel, checks out. Why would I deny that? I only learned later that this was an error on GTGs part. When Fedex calls and tells you they have a parcel for you that's stuck at customs, it's from a company you ordered something from and you need to allow them to process you parcel and send them an invoice - and if you don't, it will be send back at your expense - of course you'd have it processed. If you wouldn't, well, clearly I'm not quite as clever as you are.

Of course now, after properly checking all the facts, I know I should have just denied accepting the parcel. I know I would not have had to pay the cost of having it returned. I know that I have a right, by law, to deal with customs myself. I know that the people I have talked to were either ignorant of how importing with their service works - or maybe they lied to me on purpose.

However, in the end, I agree that all seems to be well for me. I have received the parcel and I learned a lot about how dealing with customs using a third party works (it's "Oh god, just do it yourself"). I also learned to stay the hell away from Fedex. I have learned how I should react when something like this happens and I have learned a little something about actual customs law in Germany (did you know we're not allowed to import bats with nails in them?). And last but not least, I got a mildly interesting story out of it that will doubtlessly regale my friends for years to come. I've got to admit, I'm still a little anxious about Schrödinger's customs bill, but you know what? If I ever get one, I am now armed with dangerous half knowledge and prepared to deal with it when it happens.

As for the duplicate games... most of it will go to some friends to complete their collection. I suppose the rest will go up on boardgamegeek in the math trade. Dunno, really, for now it's just a box taking up space in my basement (that I should really clean out, dammit, everything's in the way).

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Mosch wrote:

That said, I am now somewhat sure that this courier service in particular is staffed by slightly moistened socks.

I'm sorry, I know this is a serious thread about a definite problem, but I have to just highlight here the greatest insult I think I've ever read. XD

ericoftheverse

Just to inform you all:

The package arrived today at my doorstep without any new information or message from fedex!

I haven´t done anything from my side to get them....

Thx Jodie, you must have done something right!

Also no custom bills for me right now.

So everything went well & I´m happy to finally delve deeper into the multiverse!

Thx again to Jodie, the GtG-team and everyone who answered my post with tips and suggestions!

Until next time

Eric

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

TakeWalker wrote:

Mosch wrote:
That said, I am now somewhat sure that this courier service in particular is staffed by slightly moistened socks.

I'm sorry, I know this is a serious thread about a definite problem, but I have to just highlight here the greatest insult I think I've ever read. XD

Sooooo I'm a driver for FedEx.

And I can tell you, all the grunts who do the actual leg work think the exat same of customer service. The things they tell people that we hear about when delivering packages...

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Blackfang108
Playtester

lynkfox wrote:

TakeWalker wrote:
 Mosch wrote:

Sooooo I'm a driver for FedEx. And I can tell you, all the grunts who do the actual leg work think the exat same of customer service. The things they tell people that we hear about when delivering packages...

A friend of mine is also a driver, and agrees with this assessment.