The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Custom cards/decks and cons?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
HikariStarshine
Playtester
Custom cards/decks and cons?

This's more a question looking for clarification re: the 'don't post custom stuff in the forum' rule than anything else...

Is there a similar rule regarding showing custom content to the >G guys at a con, so I'd have to keep anything I came up with on my own limited to other players and any future villain contests that happen?

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

HikariStarshine wrote:

This's more a question looking for clarification re: the 'don't post custom stuff in the forum' rule than anything else...Is there a similar rule regarding showing custom content to the >G guys at a con, so I'd have to keep anything I came up with on my own limited to other players and any future villain contests that happen?

Not any sort of official response here, but for legal reasons I'm going to bet the answer will be "thanks, but no thanks." One of the big issues is, say you've got some cool custom hero that has some gimmick where you add and remove tokens to a resource pool for various effects. Christopher sees this while working on Vengance. Then Setback come along. You could make the argument that Christopher used your design, and you're entitled to compensation for that. Sure, they can probably prove that they didn't steal it from you, but now there's all these legal hoops that could have just been avoided by not looking at outside submissions in the first place.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Sadly I doubt they will ever do a design a deck contest again.  There is a big enough custom deck community going now that they'd get crushed with submissions.

HikariStarshine
Playtester

Well, if they wanted to just crowdsource a whole expansion and save themselves a bit of the work... ;)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

If you haven't visited BGG Variants forum, you should.  (I have a feeling you have. . .)

HikariStarshine
Playtester

Oh, I'm quite aware of the Variants forum. :)  Getting ready to order a full Cauldron set off of PS, actually, along with a few other decks.  But that doesn't mean there's no reason to wonder if the >G guys wouldn't consider doing more contests in the future...

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'm hanging on til late May to get the rest of the Cauldron. That should give the designer guys enough time to do any more tweaking that's needed, because I don't fancy a third order just for inevitable errataed cards. If you're good with that, go ahead!

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Yeah, there are some other decks that need tweaked, but it is happenning, hard to pull off stuff like that when it's a one-man show.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Well it's actually a group doing the designing - at least three of them. Just one guy doing the art and wording though. 

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

j1hopki1

I haven't looked at the BGG custom decks, yet. I am kind of saving that for after >Games releases the last Sentinels expansion. They've said they only have two or three left. After that I figure I'll be needing a fix of new stuff at some point so I'll order the Cauldron cards or whatever there is available to keep my addiction going. :)

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

j1hopki1 wrote:

I haven't looked at the BGG custom decks, yet. I am kind of saving that for after >Games releases the last Sentinels expansion. They've said they only have two or three left. After that I figure I'll be needing a fix of new stuff at some point so I'll order the Cauldron cards or whatever there is available to keep my addiction going. :)

That's exactly my thought, also. By then, I figure more of the bugs will be worked out of the Cauldron, too.

Besides, between playtesting and just plain-old playing, I don't need more options - I can't even playtest the one villain I created! frown

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)