The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Custom card templates

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester
Custom card templates

What's the policy on posting custom Heroes/Villains/Environments on the forums? I thought I had read something before but can't seem to find it anymore.

Focusing on template design on BGG now.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/813176

Here's some box art for anyone that stores their cards in those white cardboard boxes.
http://www.mediafire.com/?e4wyyd2oel3wq

Created these templates using Adobe Illustrator CS5 but saved as CS4 so even more people can use them. If you have CS4 and can't open these correctly, please let me know, there may be times I'll accidently save as CS5.
http://www.mediafire.com/?jb7rr9dbr95j5

Updates
05/06/12 - Updated Hero and Villain Cards. Forgot to add the stroke weight to the HP values for the Hero and Villain cards as seen in the 6th picture.
05/07/12 - Updated Villain and Hero Character Front. Updated each digit for HP as seperate, and centered so when you change one it still looks right. Also a slight change to the Villain name on Villain Chaarcter Text.
05/08/12 - Updated Hero and Villain Cards. Replaced symbol clipping masks with actual halftone textures built into Illustrator.
05/08/12 - Updated Hero and Villain Cards. Replaced the halftones with an improved clipping mask and the description and text bubble areas are improved as well. Tested this on photo paper and looks nearly identical to the actual cards, compared them to the Rook City ones. Aslo combined the Villain character templates into one and created a copy on a second artboard so you can edit the villain all together and even print it out easily and did similar thing to the Hero character templates.
-Update part 2 - Went back and changed the coloring a bit on the description and text bubbles of the Hero and Villain cards, think I've got it just right now. Looks a lot darker in the program than what it printed out as on photo paper, other types such as plain paper and cardstock may print differently.
05/10/12 - Reorganized the Hero and Villain Cards, made the base pieces of the cards into symbols so that I only have to modify one to change them all. This also clears up a lot of clutter for people editing these cards and helped me fix a few minor issues. I've also added Environment Cards.
05/12/12 - Did some fine tuning on the Hero and Villain Character templates. One thing was the picture frames were supposed to have no fill but accidently had white fill so fixed that so now the picture layer will show through, easy fix for anyone familiar with Illustrator, but still needed to fix the templates themselves. Another was to fix the text boxes on all templates so now you can just type in them and it will wrap itself inside the box as you type.
05/24/12 - Decided to just convert these all to CS4 files for more ease of use for everyone, since it doesnt seem to change anything for me to open them in CS5 if saved as CS4.
06/02/12 - Added Hero, Villain, and Environment deck templates for easier editing of an entire deck of cards. Also updated the Villain Character file and made the villain name into a symbol so you only have to change 1 to change it for all the cards for that villain.
06/07/12 - Made a copy of some templates, the ones with a pattern in the text area, changed the coloring of the text area on the cards to a lighter color, better for printing on paper, the current ones look best on photo paper. Put them in a new folder named "Lighter Text Area".
07/05/12 - Improved the templates even more, easier to cut out, squared the border, and choice between light and dark text areas as a toggle. Combined Hero, Villian, and Environment cards into a single template, just toggle which cards you need, decks are still seperate.
07/12/12 - Made and merged a B&W version of Hero Deck with the improved one for even better use. Can now go from a playtesting a deck to printing in full color without having to retype stuff, just toggle the cards, the text stays. I also added a B&W option to the Cards Template file.
07/17/12 - Rebuilt my templates and improved them. Added B&W toggles for all of them now, cept for the small ones that don't need really need it, such as the Hero and Villain Character files. Added improved Photoshop Files, including B&W ones. I've also added PDF files of the templates for those that want to print out some for playtesting and just write on them or if they have another way to import them into a program they use.
11/15/12 - Made Oversized Villain template. Minor adjustments to other templates.
01/04/14 - Changed Deck templates to use 3x3 grid. Replaced environment card footer image with the correct image. Also some minor tweaks to some existing files.
01/15/14 - Tweaked my templates a bit and added an optional "Print Border" that you can activate from within the card symbol, to make it easier to print using a place like Printer Studio. Working on a list of tips and techniques for using these templates.
01/18/14 - Tweaked my templates more, changed some colors after comparing them to printed cards, altered size of a few things to match the official cards more.
01/27/14 - Fixed B&W keyword box, embedded new icon image.

Need these fonts to make the templates look right.
http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/forum/topic/sotm-fonts

Here are some sample images (Currently outdated))

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I actually had a topic deleted because of such.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

I know I can post on BGG since that place isn't part of >G, was just wondering what I can post here. I have templates made for Villain Character + Cards and Hero Character + Cards. Was wondering if it'd be safe to post those here if I didn't post any actual character info on them.

Card Templates

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Koga wrote:
I know I can post on BGG since that place isn't part of >G, was just wondering what I can post here. I have templates made for Villain Character + Cards and Hero Character + Cards. Was wondering if it'd be safe to post those here if I didn't post any actual character info on them.

What do you mean by templates? if it's just lines and boxes, I doubt it's a problem. Custom art? Maybe not.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Gnipp
Playtester

I would love to see some templates....  Even if they just happened to be me :)

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Added a link to the templates in the first post.

Card Templates

cgrater
Playtester

From what I understand, and from the way most game companies approach things like this, posting the *templates* is fine.  Posting custom *content* is what is frowned on.

This is mostly for legal protection.  Imagine you post your custom character "The  Castigator" an ex-FBI agent who hunts down criminals, and then four months later >G announces a hero called "The Punisher", an ex-cop.  You could argue in court that >G had stolen your concept and thus owed you royalties.  In order to prevent situations like this.

I personally believe that the few times it happens are pure coincidence, but considering how litigious society has become, companies have no choice but to be proactive and avoid situations that could lead to lawsuits even under bizarre circumstances.  (Some restaurants now leave Wet Floor signs up at all times, because a drink might get spilled and lead to a lawsuit before the sign could be brought out and set up).

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm not the last word on this, but I think the templates are fine.

Basically, the issue comes down to: could it be claimed that >G got the idea for _______ from you? Since the templates are practically the same as assets already in use, posting these alone should be ok. However, what you do with them should generally be relegated to places that aren't the official forums. SotM fans are all great so far, so I wouldn't expect any shadiness from anyone at all, but IP law is pretty tricky, so it's kind of a better safe than sorry sort of thing.

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Having not yet downloaded the cards, I'm curious how easy it would be to use them.  I don't have Adobe Illustrator, but I do have Expression Blend and Expression Design, which are supposed to be able to use Adobe Illustrator files.  If I can just take the HP numbers and just modify it to the number I want by typing, that would be great.  Not sure how possible that would be though.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

I could alter the templates so each digit for HP is seperate, that way you could just type in the number. But only for the hero and villain character cards, the regular hero and villain cards HP has different size for above and below double digits.

EDIT: Got the new files updated with each digit for HP on the hero and vilian character cards as seperate, and centered so when you change one it still looks right.

Card Templates

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Unfortunately for me, it appears that Design completely destroys the templates on import (no textures, lots of black squares), and while Blend seems to do a perfect import, it converts all text to paths, making it extremely difficult to change any text (I would have to remove the text paths and recreate the text).

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Just updated my files a lot and been learning a lot more about Illustrator thanks to making these templates. So many things exist that I didn't know about.

Next on the list is Environment cards. Those will take some time as the footer graphic is different and is an actual picture and each Environment has thier own style HP box.

Card Templates

Gnipp
Playtester

This is where I normally hint about someone smarter and more programey than me looking into the strange eons program to make the templates useable by all.

http://cgjennings.ca/eons/

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Just added a file for Environment cards, found a decent picture online to use for the bottom of the card. As for the HP boxes, kept the regular ones in it, if someone does create their own Environment, then they'll have to make their own HP boxes if they want something other than the basic ones.

I also just made my own boxart for the box I keep my cards in, it uses images made by >G so I believe it's okay to post here. It's one of those long card boxes so had to make it so it could fit and found the way, just sliced the logo down the middle and then put the 2 halves together. That way I could make it long enough for the entire box.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e4wyyd2oel3wq

Card Templates

logan_mann

Could you post a copy of these like you already have posted above that are just pictures, only with no text on them?  I can get those fonts and recreate the text over them as a picture, but i don't have the right programs to open the templates you've made.

Also, could you post a villain card with and without the HP spot in the corner?

That would be awesome if you could.

This is awesome by the way.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

logan_mann wrote:
Could you post a copy of these like you already have posted above that are just pictures, only with no text on them?  I can get those fonts and recreate the text over them as a picture, but i don't have the right programs to open the templates you've made.

Also, could you post a villain card with and without the HP spot in the corner?

That would be awesome if you could.

This is awesome by the way.

If you want to get rid of the target symbol, just hide the layer representing the target symbol.

logan_mann

I don't have a program that can open or use these templates...so I can't adjust the layers....hence my request for blank pictures of all these over which I could just add my own text.

They are illustrated files are they not?  I don't have that.  I have photoshop, but asfar as I can tell that won't translate correctly.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

These templates are saved as Illustrator CS5 files and don't look like they can be opened without anything but that latest version of the program.  I've tried opening them in Illustrator CS4 and Photoshop CS4 and it doesn't work.  Might be a good idea to save them as an earlier version of Illustrator or even as a Photoshop file that maintains the layers so that they're usable by more folks.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Here's the templates in Photoshop, removed the text so you can add it in with Photoshop since I don't think you can remove the text from the Illustrator file while it's in Photoshop. Had to create a blank template for villain character and the back of hero character, as depending on how much text you add the boxes could be a different size which you can't alter if i had kept them in when converting to photoshop. Also got rid of the box for the front of hero character card as that could also be different sizes depending on the text. Should be easy enough to make the boxes and add in text in photoshop. Made 2 Environment files, one with the type box and one without as only some environment cards have a type, such as the rats and vats in Pike.

These have been updated and added more versions.
http://www.mediafire.com/?pq07lohfyf4nv

EDIT: Since I've changed the main files to CS4, I removed the special CS4 folder.

Moved images to main post.

Card Templates

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Supposedly both Inkscape and Krita (both of which should be open source free software) are able to import Adobe Illustrator files.  Not sure if they can open CS5 or not.  If they can be exported as a more open format, such as SVG or such, it would have more support with other applications.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Those new files worked for me.  I can open them in both Photoshop and Illustrator CS4.

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Illustrator had the option to save as SVG files so here they are for those that want them, wasn't sure what settings to use or if I needed to change anything before saving as I don't even know how SVG files are used. If they need changed, I think someone else may need to do it that understands SVG more.
http://www.mediafire.com/?4pj2kjc6k64mf

Card Templates

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Thus far, I've only tested the IE SVG renderer.  Images seem mostly okay.  Header text may be too large (probably needs the font condenced).  I'll test an actual editor when I have time later.

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Updated the main files to be saved as CS4 files for more ease of use and so I don't have to update 2 sets of files.

Card Templates

logan_mann

Thanks so much for all this Koga.  I've finally got them all lined up with the text so i can start putting these to work.

While working on them I realized some environment cards have HP and the template doesn't show that.  Then I looked at Rook City to see how they use the template (can't wait to see the enhanced environments) and realized that they each have a unique little background pic for HP, instead of the basic explosion that most target HP is written in.  Kind of cool.  So I guess if i ever make an environment i'll just find a thematic pic to use for the background on HP.

Thanks again Koga.  Very cool.

Gnipp
Playtester

Gnipp wrote:
This is where I normally hint about someone smarter and more programey than me looking into the strange eons program to make the templates useable by all.

Hmm, I'm quoting my self.  However, there's a lot of talk of all these great templates using programs I don't have.  So, wouldn't it be great for there to be a plugin for this free program I'm linking to?

I think so....

And if I knew how to do it I would, but I don't so I will continue to tell others  ;D

Which, by the way already has a plugin for the LOTR LCG which works well along with the Arkham Horror that it comes with.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Gnipp wrote:

Gnipp wrote:

Hmm, I'm quoting my self.  However, there's a lot of talk of all these great templates using programs I don't have.  So, wouldn't it be great for there to be a plugin for this free program I'm linking to?

I think so....

And if I knew how to do it I would, but I don't so I will continue to tell others  ;D

Which, by the way already has a plugin for the LOTR LCG which works well along with the Arkham Horror that it comes with.

Unfortunately, I've been a bit busy with other things, like making a generic card inventory program to keep up with my Star Wars cards, and this weekend will be very busy this weekend, with typical game night Friday, high school reunion Saturday, and birthday party Sunday (with possible shopping for birthday party Friday and Saturday).  Eventually, I may have to take a look at this thing.

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Added Hero, Villain, and Environment Decks so that those that want to can place all their cards in one file to see at once. This way your cards aren't spread across several files and can easily rearrange how many copies of each card you want. Figured out how to use multiple artboards in Illustrator to allow this and they'll still print just fine.

Made the villain name into a symbol so you only have to change 1 to change it for all the cards for that villain. For the Villain Deck, if you want extra character cards for that villain besides the normal amount, such as The Chairman having The Operative, then you'll just have to use the Villain Character file. I've also used the extra card that was in the Villain Deck template as a placeholder in case someone wants to make a card like Spite's Safe House.

I also improved the color I was using for the quote area on the Environment cards.

Card Templates

logan_mann

Can I just say thanks again for sharing these resources.  A friend and I have been formulating some home made material and are finally at the point where we can start to use these.  Really appreciate your work on all these.

The_Densetsu
Playtester

Thanks a lot for your efforts, Koga. I am using your (photoshop) templates (which work for my education edition of CS2) to create a custom hero of my own. :)

Edit: I think it's complete except for the artwork and playtesting. Anyone game?

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

I've corrected the Villain Deck a little, pertaining to the extra card. I re-counted Spite's cards and Safe House is his 25th card, not his 26th so it's part of the regular deck count, not an extra card. So I added a reminder in the template.

Improved the templates a lot:
Rebuilt for better dimensions of the cards, easier to make changes
Easier to cut out
Squared border (looks better in sleeves)
B&W playtesting option added. (This also means that making templates for future playtesting of the official cards could be made easier.)
Added in the lighter text area from before as the default and allowed the darker one able to be toggled on.
Added the rounded corners for HP and the boxes on character cards. (These were barely noticable.)

Added Cards Template that includes choice between Hero, Villain, and Environment. Have the Hero cards as the default setting, simple instructions on how to change them are provided within the template.

Moved the older files into the folder named "Old Files".

Updated Photoshop files.

I'm also still looking into other programs to make these templates in that may be more readily available for download so that everyone can use them.

« July 22, 2012 »

Found out that I hadn't prepped the Hero Deck file with the correct indenting for use with powers since I rebuilt it, just fixed that. I also included the indenting in the Cards Template file so that those making hero cards in that can have the correct indenting as well. It's easy enough to just hit the Enter key to make a new line without the indenting that powers use.

I've also gone back and fixed some previous posts, such as when I posted 2 times in a row and condensed them.

Card Templates

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Added some B&W PDF files so anyone that can't access these templates can still get a taste for them. These are better for playtesting as well, they can just be printed out and written on. I kept the boxes for the character cards as a basis to start from. I included file for Hero and Villain decks and a file for those cards with the HP graphic. I included files for all 4 variations of Environment cards. I also added color PDFs in case anyone wants those. If anything seems to be missing, please let me know.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yh1sm95nwi1ih

EDIT:
Slighty altered the stroke weight of the headers in my templates. It was slightly too thick before

Card Templates

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Finished making an Oversized Villain template. Also made some minor adjustments to some of my other templates.

Card Templates

lugaru
lugaru's picture

Those look really super... I built one today too for photoshop users (CS4) but I used all the fonts you found to make it look good.

I cannot wait to see some new challenging alternate villains, I have a busy weekend but by monday I will be posting an alternate Voss at least.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I have to say these templates (especially the Illustrator templates) are awesome. I created a custom villain and environment over the past few months, and just converted them to these. They look phenomenal. Had to learn a few Illustrator tricks (as I have no experience with it), but it was worth it.

Many thanks, Koga!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Added a Custom Deck file, It has the cards in a 3x3 grid on the pages, both hero and villain character cards and if you want to change the card type between hero, villain, and environment you'll need to hide/unhide the correct parts of the card base and keyword box graphic symbols. This file is for those with more experiance with Illustrator. It includes more than enough cards, just delete some to get down to the correct amounts for the decks, especially the small environment decks.

It may be a while until I convert all my files to the 3x3 grid so it uses less paper but I figured it's get this out there for now. I know some printers have different maximum printing margins, which is why I made them 6 cards to a page before so any printer could print them, some older printers will cut off the edges if 9 cards are on the page. Even after converting I'll save the older files in case anyone has any problems with the new ones.

One reason for this change is that I'm also working on a new hero, which I'll be posting on BGG when it's done and ready for testing. One of the new Vengeance heroes uses a concept I was trying to do a while back but never quite figured out, now I have something to help with making mine.

Card Templates

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You might want to wait to post the new hero until Vengeance goes public to avoid causing any issues.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

It's probably going to be a while before I get it ready anyway, I'd posted about this same concept on BGG about a year ago and just now starting to work on it. I just couldn't figure out how it would work until now. Will need some testing with my friends at Gamer's Guild before I post anything as the mechanic is unique, while borrowing a little from something else. Will be a tough hero to finish and stay balanced, only have 3 cards besides the character card thought up so far and even those 3 cards are only about half done.

I'll wait to publicly post my new hero on BGG though. Will still be able to use privately with friends, they also help me playtest Vengeance.

Card Templates

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Has anyone thought about using this to create custom cards for SotM:  http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

It seems really flexible and able to do all the things that we're hoping for!

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

I've seen it before, I just need to figure out how it works.

Card Templates

PlatinumWarlock

While playing around with it, I went ahead and created my "Heroic Arsenal" cards in a fairly-generic M:tG template.  

It's a really gorgeous little program...

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

If only some wonderful person could create a SoTM template for MSE, that would be amazing! ;)

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MSE?

PlatinumWarlock

Magic Set Editor, which I linked earlier in the thread.  It's a gorgeous custom card creator for Magic, YuGiOh, and a few other games.  

I've played around with it a little, but I don't have the expertise necessary to build SotM templates for it.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ah! Thanks - sorry. Didn't make the connection to the acronym. blush

ellindar

I work with Photoshop quite a  bit, newer to Illustrator though.  I think I have everything figured out except how to put an icon into the Hero Card.ai templates.  If I just paste a picture it does not go "underneath" everything else so just what fits in the circle would show up.  How do I do this?

Spiff
Spiff's picture

You can make a new layer, put the icon on that layer, then move that level to the bottom of the layer stack.

ellindar

that doesn't seem to work :/ the picture doesn't show up then.  Somehow there needs to be a mask? or something for the icon circle so that the white area will show what's beneath it but only the white area?

Spiff
Spiff's picture

If you could email me the file you're talking about (spiffworld@gmail.com) I could take a look.  I'm just sort of guessing at solutions here because I can't see what we're talking about.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, I gave up on it. I couldn't get the image in the template to work, either. I ended up putting the "H" in the text, change the font of the "H" to CrashLanding BB, and drop the circle on top of it. It isn't perfect, but it works.

ellindar

Rabit wrote:

Yeah, I gave up on it. I couldn't get the image in the template to work, either. I ended up putting the "H" in the text, change the font of the "H" to CrashLanding BB, and drop the circle on top of it. It isn't perfect, but it works.

yeh but everything works except for the damn icon!  so frustrating

Spiff I'll send ya the file i'm working on but its the hero card.ai file from this thread.

Pages