The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Craziest game so far (also on VG)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
riff.freelance
riff.freelance's picture
Craziest game so far (also on VG)

So last night I'm wanting to brush up on Fanatic so I'm playing the video game and using random to find an interesting match. I get Chairman in Atlantis vs Legacy, Fanatic, AZ, SS Tachyon, and Tempest. I'm thinking this will do, Legacy is a great buff and I love Tempest, I'll get to pratice Fanatic with what looks to be a good team backing her up.

I start the game and all is going well. I loose AZ to a bad Thermal Shockwave play because I forgot about a few +1's no big deal, just a setback. I get the Chairman to flip and start to wail on him. I've got the Chairman out and about 20 hp left on the Operative when the environment goes crazy and takes out my team minus Legacy. Now I can't remember the exact order they were played, but these cards were out: Pillars of Hercules, 2x Phosphorescent Chamber, and Toxic Seaweed. Legacy had a great setup out: 2x Next Evolution, Danger Sense and thank god Motivational Charge. 

This was looking hard, but win-able when I encountered what I presume to be a glitch, as I have no idea how it happened: Chairman flipped back to 1:Alive with full HP, and 2: Master of the Underworld side. I've gone back and looked at all the cards in all the in play decks and can't see what triggered this, but there it was. So with incap plays and environment gone mad, Next Evo kept Legacy immune to Melee, Danger Sense nulled the Environment, and Legacy slugged it out. Chairman kept drawing Perfect Specimens so this too longer than I wanted, and I had to kill thief on sight as a lost ongoing would be fatal, but fun was had and almost the entire environment deck was in play by the end. It was almost Legacy vs Chairman and Atlantis vs the Mob. I ended up winning with near perfect health for Legacy at 30. 

All in all crazy fun, but I'm a little concerned by the Chariman respawn. Was that supposed to happen? Has it happened to anyone else?

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

That is certainly not supposed to happen.  There should be no way in the game for the Chairman to return to his first side once he has flipped.

Did you manage to get any screenshots that might be useful for shedding light on the situation?  There probably wasn't much to see, but every little bit helps.  Also, send an email to Handelabra using the feedback button on the credits page of the app.

Congratulations on beating the Chairman even when he was cheating, though!

riff.freelance wrote:
I loose AZ to a bad Thermal Shockwave play because I forgot about a few +1's no big deal, just a setback.

No, Setback won't arrive until they release Vengeance.  

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

The Chairman coming back is perfectly legal. Since The Chairman goes into the trash upon his destruction, he can be played again and thus cause all kinds of trouble. Just be sure to take out The Operative first or before the trash is put back into the deck.

riff.freelance
riff.freelance's picture

Nah, no screenshots. Just guessing: it was likely a semi reset caused by reshuffling his deck and "low ram" caused by how much was already going on in the game. Near as I can remember by that point Legacy had out ~5 cards, Environment was stacked, +6 cards, and Villian had >9 cards out. It did happen at the time of a reshuffle.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Good point. But that doesn't count as flipping back. And I don't think that's what happened here, as he had about 20 hp when he flipped back.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

riff.freelance
riff.freelance's picture

Ronway wrote:

The Chairman coming back is perfectly legal. Since The Chairman goes into the trash upon his destruction, he can be played again and thus cause all kinds of trouble. Just be sure to take out The Operative first or before the trash is put back into the deck.

I bet this is what happened. He came into play as if the game had just started. This actually makes a lot of sense and can be tested with the right team.

aawood

Yeah, looking at the Handelabra forums, this came up and the response was as Ronway said; the card goes in the trash when he's destroyed, so if you take so long to finish that the villain deck runs dry and gets replenished from the trash, he can come back with full health on the unflipped side if his card comes up. At least in the app, this is intended behaviour.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I would have thought he stayed in play but went into negative hit points until you finally took out the Operative.  Meaning he would still do retaliatory damage, activate cards that list him, and still heal up from his cards to the Fence. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I would have thought he stayed in play but went into negative hit points until you finally took out the Operative.  Meaning he would still do retaliatory damage, activate cards that list him, and still heal up from his cards to the Fence. 

He isn't indestructable, destroyed cards do not stay in play.

Powerhound_2000

Yes but this is the villain character card not a normal card in his deck.  If you aren't playing the app you know when he will come up.   Even worse if you are playing oversized cards.  

Edit:  I'm not saying that what has been discussed couldn't be the case but moreso that it just doesn't seem right.   This is the primary villain we are talking about not just a normal card in his deck.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

It is consistent with everything else. When a card is destroyed, doesn't matter which card, it goes to the trash. If it doesn't, there will be a rule that specifically says what to do. When hero character cards are destroyed, they flip. When Omnitron is detroyed, he is removed from the game. Now, all villains should go to the trash, except that the game ends as soon as they are destroyed. The only corner case is the Chairman. Since it doesn't say what to do when he is destroyed, and since the game doesn't end, he follows the same rules as all other cards, and he goes to the trash.

EDIT: I knew Christopher mentiioned this ruling, but I couldn't remember where. Mcbehrer confirmed that is was mentioned during a Google Hangout.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Powerhound_2000

I understand the point Pydro and I agree it is within the rules.  It just doesn't feel right especially if you played with Oversized cards.  

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, I'm keeping my original (normal-sized) Chairman text card under the over-sized card, in case this happens, so I have a card to shuffle.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Note also that Savage Mana can prevent this situation!

Christopher shrugged

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!