The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Core environments remastered?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester
Core environments remastered?

It actually took a while for me to realize what was different about the new environments: they have pictures (how I didn't notice this immediately, I'll never know). But besides me missing that obvious fact, it got me wondering, will Adam be making new pictures for the core environments, and then a remastered version of the core environments with those pictures be released for purchase in the store? I'd totally pay $12 (assuming prices of environments in the store don't change) to have new, prettier core environments.

Oh, and I almost forgot: besides the wonderful new pictures on the business end of the cards, maybe they could also have new, uniform backs for the entire deck, like how the RC environments have a shot of the actual area and the name of the environment on there. Something like (for example) a shot of Atlantas in the mid and background, and a fallen archway with "Atlantas" on it in the foreground.

I know the core environments already do have custom uniform backs with fancy titles, but that doesn't mean they can't be spiced up, since they all have the same backdrop.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

They sold out of the original prints of the core game, so presumably they'll need to print more.  Maybe when they reprint it, they'll update the environments with the new look, which'd be great.  In fact, if they reprint the core set, they would presumably make everything with the new higher quality cardstock, which would make me want to re-purchase the core set even though I already own it.  Diabolical.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Yeah, there was a thread started somewhere on BGG, and most people agreed.  If they re-printed the core set with the better card stock, art for the environments, and fixes for the errata-ed cards, most people would buy it, even if they already own it.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I don't know if I'd buy an entirely new core game, but I'd for sure order those environments. Then again, I'd have to rearrange my storage solution, which fits perfectly in the box, but with no extra room, so those thicker cards might be a problem.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, I have to admit I'd buy a reprinted set. If for no other reason just to support the company.  :D

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Gnipp
Playtester

This is a no brainer in my opinion.  Cards w/art are better than cards without art.  I find myself leaning towards using the Rook City environments instead of the core ones because of the art.  Even though the Rook City ones have a nasty tendency to completely mess us Heroes up.  Especially Rook City.  "Scum & Villainy" & "Ambitious Racketeer" have quickly become some of my favorite cards to hate.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The key to having art on the cards is to be able to easily recognize the card from a distance - which is very important in a game like this, where every card has odd and variant effects... :)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Another area where I expect I'm in the minority -- I don't really care that much about the art. Don't get me wrong, I love it to death and it makes the game more fun and at times it's helpful to recognize cards at a distance, but it's frosting and doesn't influence which environments, villains, heroes I choose to play.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

So, I'm assuming by now that everyone has seen the new info on the kickstarter about the remastered game... I swear I had no personal insight that this would happen. I was actually wondering why none of the developers had said yes or no... Now I know.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

And knowing is half the battle!

The other half is violence.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gnipp
Playtester

I heard that due to inflation knowing is now 9/16 the battle........