The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Converted to the game... with great glee

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
Koey
Koey's picture
Playtester

josul0215 wrote:

Koey wrote:
Tempest and Wraith are one of the few that can heal :) not sure how valuable that is in this discussion.

What about Legacy, Bunker, Argent Adept, Redeemer Fanatic, Nightmist, Absolute Zero, and Haka?

Oh I was referring to AWP's post.

Whoops forgot Wraith only heals herself. I meant it as in group heal*.

Think the only heroes capable of group heal is All 3 Legacy (Greatest best at healing),  Tempest, Argent Adept, do not remember about ReedemeerFanatic and someone i probably forgot.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I will concede to your point, Awp: Expatriette is one of the weaker heroes. Truth be told, I've never had her be the "star" of any game.

Does that mean I don't like playing as her? Not at all. I'd love to play as her more and maybe have a few good games with her. I mean, I hate Absolute Zero, but I see his value. I guess it just depends on who you like.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

I have seen some amazing improvement on Fixer's deck over the past few villains that have been released, and I can only imagine that Expatriette's deck will get a similar treatment as the game grows.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Cosmonaut Zero
Cosmonaut Zero's picture

I don't necessarily think that comparing heroes to Wraith and having them come up short means that the hero is weak, considering how OP Wraith is.

I mean, Expatriette feels a little unversatile compared to a lot of the other heroes. If I had to rank them by effectiveness I'd put her on the lower end, but it's not like she doesn't pull her own weight. I've had games where Hairtrigger Reflexes alone was worth bringing her along. Considering that the villains are clearly meant to vary in strength, as long as they're fun to play I'm kind of okay having the heroes vary in strength as well.

This is a Greater than Games forum signature virus. Copy this text, add one to the generation, and replace your signature with this one so that this may take over the multiverse of forum signatures.
Generation: 1

Greonhal
Playtester

Does anyone else feel a little bad that someone's "I'm new to the game! Hi!" thread got hijacked for this debate?

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

A little bit, yes.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

awp832 wrote:

I didn't say that.    Actually I fully agree with your statement.   Some of the best heroes IMO are Legacy, Visionary, and Argent Adept, all of which have low personal "dps" but high potential team benefits. 

Well thats comparing DPS to Healers and Buffers - my smilie breaks down at that point.

awp832 wrote:

But in Expatriette's case,  what does she do besides damage?  The answer is not much.   She doesn't have any cards that directly help other players.   The best she's got is RPG launcher.  so in other words, Expatriette is a nearly pure dps character, with 3 ongoing destroyers in her deck.   In this case, DPS is actually a VERY good judgement of how strong this character is.     Compare Expatriette to Wraith:   Wraith has either 3 or 4 ongoing destroyers in her deck, I forget how many grappling hooks there are.   Anyway,  so she's on equal footing or maybe slightly ahead in the ongoing/environment control department.    Since that is equal, Expatriette can claim no advantage.   So then who has the higher dps?  Wraith does.   Therefore; Wraith > Expatriette.      And that's utterly ignoring the fact that Wraith DOES have team utility in her deck, in the form of Eyepiece and Smoke Bombs. You can do the same with Tempest.    Expatriette has 3 RPG launchers, Tempest has 2 flash floods and 2 ball lightnings.   Roughly equal in terms of ongoing/environment control.    So who has better DPS?   Tempest does.    Expatriette loses big time because again, Tempest a lot of useful non-dps things in his deck which Expatriette simply lacks.   He has villian control, he has team healing, he has card drawing, he has trash retrieval.   So Tempest > Expatriette.

She has some great utility. its masked into her damage.

Nitro rounds can save your team from quite a bit of damage - especialyl if you dump it on Submachine gun with a lot of minions in play - potentially saving a lot of damag ea turn. 5 villian targets doing damage? 5 damage saved. If any of t hem hit multiple targets? +1 for each target. It can easily reach up to the double digits in saved health. In this game where damage is so prevalant Damage Reduction/Prevention is much more powerful then healing.

Shock rounds though not the best ammo in her deck, is a nice way to dump an area amount of damage on her off a single attack gun. Give a damage buff or two and you can wipe the board with a single shot of Pride or Prejudice

Pride+Prejudice means you can do both a specialty shot for utility (Nitro for isntance) and damage something. You can also reliably hit two targets with armor with these two. The combination of this and Unload? Means you can play an ammo even on the turn you Unload (Unload, have x powers, but to activate pride and prejudice you only use one power activation. Therefor you can use Load to play an ammo on one of your other guns. These two guns give her a ton of utility in how she applies her damage to targets. Yes Wraith has Throwing knives+targeting computer to reach similar damage, but she doesnt get to use the utility that ammo can provide in the same situation.

I would indeed like to see an overall Damage per Game chart with expat. I did that once in a DnD4th game where i was getting made fun off cause i wasn't doing the big hits everyone else was. Turns out I was putting out more constant overall damage every fight thent hey were.

I'm willing to bet that she will be putting out comparable damage in most sitations, and in the right ones (Against minion decks) she can put out a lot more.

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Greonhal wrote:

Does anyone else feel a little bad that someone's "I'm new to the game! Hi!" thread got hijacked for this debate?

It happens. This is a real forum experience. Tangents!

You're free to do whatever you want to.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

hehe I was just thinking that myself.

But I also am thinking I may be going a step further than necessary. I bow out for this one. I respect your opinion awp and keep to mine!

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Alex
Alex's picture
Playtester

lynkfox wrote:

Shock rounds though not the best ammo in her deck, is a nice way to dump an area amount of damage on her off a single attack gun. Give a damage buff or two and you can wipe the board with a single shot of Pride or PrejudicePride+Prejudice means you can do both a specialty shot for utility (Nitro for isntance) and damage something. You can also reliably hit two targets with armor with these two.

You just reminded me of something that came up in a solo game with Expatriette...

SO, y'know how an Ammo card's bonus takes effect when a gun card's power is used to damage a target, and is destroyed after the power is used? So, f'rinstance, Liquid Nitrogen Rounds weaken every target their gun damages? Well, by that same logic, are Shock Rounds actually the most powerful bullets if put in a gun that hits multiple targets? Let's say there are 5 non-hero targets out. She shoots them all with Submachine Gun loaded with Shock Rounds. That means she zaps all non-hero targets for each of the 5 times she hits one of them! In other words, she doesn't deal 1 projectile and 1 lightning to everything— she deals 1 projectile and 5 lightning to everything! Give her a +1 to damage, and that's 2 projectile and 10 lightning! I wasn't sure if I was thinking about this the right way at the time, so I just had the Shock Rounds go off once. But thinking about it now, I think Expatriette just got a lot more interesting. I gotta try this...

I make games! Here's one of them! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/626169

BoardGameGeek interviewed me about my contribution to Shattered Timelines, Kismet! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/17671/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shat...

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

I've made the same mistake, too.

Shock Rounds is written differently from the ammo cards. It's subtle, but there is a difference.

Incendiary Rounds increases damage for every instance of damage that gun does.

Hollow Points increases damage for every instance of damage that gun does.

Liquid Nitrogen rounds reduce damage for every thing it hits.

Shock Rounds do 1 damage to everything on the field then are destroyed.

Detailed here:

https://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/forum/topic/expatriette-shock-rounds-and-submachine-gun

"Defeat by Hippocalypse is no shame, Sentinel. For against Hippocalypse even the strong must fall."

Alex
Alex's picture
Playtester

Oh. So the freezy rounds work this way because they say "AFTER that card's power is used to damage a target..." but the Shock Rounds don't because they say "WHEN that card's power is used"?

Awww... that's no fun. sad

I make games! Here's one of them! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/626169

BoardGameGeek interviewed me about my contribution to Shattered Timelines, Kismet! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/17671/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shat...

Pages