The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Completionist Guise question.

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Taeraresh
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 5 months ago
Joined: Aug 24, 2013
Completionist Guise question.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked/answered before, but I can't find it if it has.

For Completionist Guise, is there anything stopping him from swapping heroes back to variants he's already added to his collection?

There's nothing I can find saying whether his collection is considered in-play, out-of-play, 'in the box' or anything else.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

You can freely swap back and forth on a variant.  Only item to keep in mind is switching from one version of Sky-Scraped switches all size cards not just the individual one.  


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
dwetuski
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 3 months ago
Joined: Aug 05, 2013

What happens if Completionist Guise chooses his own character card to replace?  I'm guessing it gets replaced and everything after the first sentence of Impressive Collection just doesn't happen because the Completionist Guise card is no longer in play, with Completionist Guise and his collection going back in the box because there's nothing better to do with them?

In OblivAeon mode, can Guise replace an active hero character card with a variant card that is in play as an incapacitated hero?  If so, a player could theoretically stick with the same hero deck regardless of how many times they were incapacitated.

In OblivAeon mode, can players choose from the variant cards under Completionist Guise when replacing their hero?  I haven't done the math, but I figure the players would lose before Guise could hoard all the variant cards and deny other players the chance to select a hero at all... probably.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

dwetuski wrote:

What happens if Completionist Guise chooses his own character card to replace?  I'm guessing it gets replaced and everything after the first sentence of Impressive Collection just doesn't happen because the Completionist Guise card is no longer in play, with Completionist Guise and his collection going back in the box because there's nothing better to do with them?

You are correct    You would replace him and then the power would end   

Quote:

In OblivAeon mode, can Guise replace an active hero character card with a variant card that is in play as an incapacitated hero?  If so, a player could theoretically stick with the same hero deck regardless of how many times they were incapacitated.

I would say no.  Both character cards are already in play. 

Quote:

In OblivAeon mode, can players choose from the variant cards under Completionist Guise when replacing their hero?  I haven't done the math, but I figure the players would lose before Guise could hoard all the variant cards and deny other players the chance to select a hero at all... probably.

The OblivAeon Rules say to pick a character from the box and thus ones under Guise wouldn’t be an option. 


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Playtester
Joined: Oct 29, 2015

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I would say no.  Both character cards are already in play. 

I'm not sure about this one.  He can replace a card with a card he's already added to his collection, can't he?  It just says "Replace a Hero Character Card in play with a variant of that Hero."  Unlike the OblivAeon replacement rules, it doesn't specify where the new card has to come from.

Although it occurs to me that incapacitated hero cards are technically "hero character cards in play."  That'll have to either be a fireside clarification or one heck of an abuseable interaction.

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

The OblivAeon Rules say to pick a character from the box and thus ones under Guise wouldn’t be an option. 

However, once Completionist Guise is incapacitated, he can remove character cards under him from the game.  IIRC they get returned to the box in this event, and would be eligible for re-selection.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Aug 08, 2011

MindWanderer wrote:

I'm not sure about this one.  He can replace a card with a card he's already added to his collection, can't he?  It just says "Replace a Hero Character Card in play with a variant of that Hero."  Unlike the OblivAeon replacement rules, it doesn't specify where the new card has to come from.

Although it occurs to me that incapacitated hero cards are technically "hero character cards in play."  That'll have to either be a fireside clarification or one heck of an abuseable interaction.

Per previous rulings, cards under him aren't considered in play. But yeah, the ruling is going to have to clarify how incapped heroes are handled...


"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Playtester
Joined: Oct 29, 2015

Rabit wrote:

Per previous rulings, cards under him aren't considered in play. But yeah, the ruling is going to have to clarify how incapped heroes are handled...

Wait, really?  Because just last week, MigrantP was schooling me on how cards under Guise were considered to have "powers in [Guise's] play area" and thus could be modified by Uh Yeah I'm That Guy on Applied Numerology.  And he should know.  Unless they're considered to be in his play area but not in play?  Which would be one of the weirdest technicalities I've run into in the game (which is saying a lot).

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

dwetuski
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 3 months ago
Joined: Aug 05, 2013

It's been a while, but wasn't there some ruling that cards underneath other cards are still in play?  Like, the face down cards under Savage Mana still count as Villain Cards and Environment Cards and so do trigger Ammo Drop and Dominion when destroyed by Savage Mana's power, but are not considered targets and have no game text because they're face down?  By that logic, if the hero cards go under Completionist Guise face-up, then they are in play and have game text, which would explain why they're modifiable by Impressive Collection and Applied Numerology.  I guess they are not considered targets, though, because even though they have a max HP printed on the card, they do not have any current HP value...?  At least, that's the most consistent explanation I can think of offhand.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: Feb 26, 2016

Yeah, that's in the fireside chat errata somewhere. Unless a card says otherwise, cards underneath it have no game text but are considered in play. This is why, for instance, End of Days can destroy Projections underneath the Dreamer if you're not careful about when you play it.

I would think Applied Numerology is applicable because Guise is using the power, and the power comes a from that's now in his play area, which is the criterion for the numerical adjustment to go off. Despite the fact that the character card itself has no game text once it's under him, you still have to know what the text was to be able to use the power... or something. c.c God, why is Guise such a headache?

Blackfang108
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Playtester
Joined: May 31, 2016

Because he's sponsored by Big Asprin, and they're trying to drive sales.

Guise
Guise's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: Jan 14, 2015

When you need to get rid of a heroic headache pull out Sentinel Comics branded Big Schspirin.    Just look for the bottle with the giant G on it :D

 

Disclaimer: Sentinel Comics does not actually produce Big Schspirin nor is it affiliated with it.  All proceeds go to Toupees for Bald Eagles


We're going to fight EEEEEEEVIL! Because, you know, EEEEEEEVIL!

Trajector
Trajector's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

"It's aspirin, with the 'a' and the 's' scraped off."