The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Complete Victory!

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Complete Victory!

Gloating Time!

We played on Tue and had a complete victory over Baron Blade on Mars in Advanced Mode. Heroes were Tachyon, Legacy, Tempest, and Young Legacy.

I supposed it could be argued that this wasn't an official game since we used both Legacys, BUT IT WAS STILL AWESOME.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

ketigid

What is a Complete Victory? Sorry...

Off topic a bit, will you give me a list of Legacy's cards, using your interpretation, that affects both Legacys? Only 1 Legacy? I'm interested in running a 2 Legacy game but not quite sure about the cards effects based on previous discussions here on the forum.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

ketigid wrote:
What is a Complete Victory? Sorry...

Apologies, the correct term (as seen in the Story Challenges -- http://greaterthangames.info/wp-uploads/2011/09/StoryChallenges.pdf) is actually 'Flawless Victory'.

Quote:
Flawless Victory: Win the game with all heroes at full health

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

ketigid wrote:
Off topic a bit, will you give me a list of Legacy's cards, using your interpretation, that affects both Legacys? Only 1 Legacy? I'm interested in running a 2 Legacy game but not quite sure about the cards effects based on previous discussions here on the forum.

Generally, we decided to play that anything that mentions Legacy refers to both Legacies. This is pretty overpowered, which is why maybe it's not really a legit way to play. On the other hand, anything where Legacy dealt damage tended to only happen by the current Legacy playing.

We didn't see every card on Tue, but the following is my current assessment of how to play each of Legacy's cards:

No mention of Legacy, so no decision needs to be made:

• Bolster Allies[/*]
  • Inspiring Presence[/*]
  • The Legacy Ring[/*]

Attack taken by and/or targeted to current Legacy only:

• Back-Fist Strike[/*]
  • Flying Smash[/*]
  • Heroic Interception[/*]
  • Motivational Charge[/*]
  • Take Down[/*]
  • Thok[/*]

Modifer that affects both Legacies:

• Danger Sense[/*]
  • Fortitude[/*]
  • Lead from the Front[/*]
  • Next Evolution[/*]
  • Superhuman Durability[/*]
  • Surge of Strength[/*]

A less broken way to play both of them would be to consider them completely separately, such that they could both play The Legacy Ring, but they wouldn't both be strong just because one of them played Surge of Strength. My main problem with doing such is that thematically is seems wrong for there to be more than one Legacy Ring in play at a time.

ketigid

I see. Thanks for the guidelines, I'll try it the next time.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

First, here's a previous thread on using two Legacies.

arenson9 wrote:
Generally, we decided to play that anything that mentions Legacy refers to both Legacies. This is pretty overpowered, which is why maybe it's not really a legit way to play. On the other hand, anything where Legacy dealt damage tended to only happen by the current Legacy playing.

We didn't see every card on Tue, but the following is my current assessment of how to play each of Legacy's cards:

• Bolster Allies[/*]
  • Inspiring Presence[/*]
  • The Legacy Ring[/*]

• Back-Fist Strike[/*]
  • Flying Smash[/*]
  • Take Down[/*]
  • Thok[/*]

• Danger Sense[/*]
  • Fortitude[/*]
  • Next Evolution[/*]
  • Surge of Strength[/*]

A less broken way to play both of them would be to consider them completely separately, such that they could both play The Legacy Ring, but they wouldn't both be strong just because one of them played Surge of Strength. My main problem with doing such is that thematically is seems wrong for there to be more than one Legacy Ring in play at a time.

Quick clarification: If something was Limited, we declared it Limited for both Legacies. This prevented us from getting out two Inspiring Presences, for example.

Also, if we'd played Take Down or Heroic Interception, both Legacies would have taken damage, but those cards didn't happen to be played.

Really, I think we mostly obtained the flawless victory because we got very, very lucky in the cards. Blade didn't do much at all before he flipped, and after that it was almost too late, as we'd gotten set up very nicely by that point.  8) We didn't have much more boost than we would have had with one Legacy (since only one could Galvanize and we could only have one Inspiring Presence out), but I do think having two heroes with the nemesis bonus made a difference. ;)

Rabit

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

ketigid

arenson9 wrote:

• Bolster Allies[/*]
  • Inspiring Presence[/*]
  • The Legacy Ring[/*]

• Back-Fist Strike[/*]
  • Flying Smash[/*]
  • Take Down[/*]
  • Thok[/*]

• Danger Sense[/*]
  • Fortitude[/*]
  • Next Evolution[/*]
  • Surge of Strength[/*]

I just had a game using both Legacy. Those cards that affect both Legacies were so overpowered. Danger Sense in Primalis made both Legacies ignore the environment completely.

Then we played again still using the Limited rule, but all cards only affect their own player. It was much better. However, the cards in hand did feel rather restrictive because Limited cards can only be played by one of the Legacy.

AnachronismAxe
AnachronismAxe's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

Keep in mind that this is Sentinels of the Multiverse, so it's very possible for the Young Legacy you play to be from a different universe than her father, and thus have her own Legacy Ring. ;)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

AnachronismAxe wrote:
Keep in mind that this is Sentinels of the Multiverse, so it's very possible for the Young Legacy you play to be from a different universe than her father, and thus have her own Legacy Ring. ;)

Good friggin' point!

AnachronismAxe
AnachronismAxe's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

AnachronismAxe wrote:

Good friggin' point!

Keeping this in mind, it's possible to justify playing both promo and non-promo versions of each Hero in the same game!

Rook City Wraith looks distinctly different from her normal outfit... I wonder why? ;)

Maybe in another universe Ra defeats the Ennead when they first appear and never grows that beard and lose that nipple, then travels to the other universe where he aids Horus of Two Horizons in defeating them in that universe.

Likewise, Apostate might not reveal himself to Fanatic in one universe and Redeemer Fanatic comes to warn her.

So many possibilities! 8)

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

AnachronismAxe wrote:
Likewise, Apostate might not reveal himself to Fanatic in one universe and Redeemer Fanatic comes to warn her.

Dude, I didn't want to know anything about Apostate revealing himself to Fanatic. Sounds like a lawyer should get involved.

AnachronismAxe
AnachronismAxe's picture
Playtester

Ronway wrote:

AnachronismAxe wrote:

Dude, I didn't want to know anything about Apostate revealing himself to Fanatic. Sounds like a lawyer should get involved.

Well he's running around shirtless... He's kind of doing it to everyone, I guess.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Ha! Reminds me of the Star Trek: TOS Card Game that had the promo,  Shirtless Kirk (He was WILD too, according to the card)

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!