The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Collectively point and laugh at my game design attempt?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trajector
Trajector's picture
Collectively point and laugh at my game design attempt?

Hey everybody,

I have a few nascent tabletop game designs, but this is the one that the friends I've foisted it on actually seem to enjoy! The theme is time travel in an attempt to manipulate history, but with the twist that the time machine is malfunctioning and jumping around randomly.

I made a BGG thread here, if anyone is interested in checking it out or giving it a whirl: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1777260/chronix-time-travel-history-manipulation-game-15-3

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Very cool concept! I'll try to get my gaming group to give it a go.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Thematically, I'm reminded of Cheapass Games' "US Patent Number 1"

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Let me know what you think, Dandolo!

jff, I'm not familiar with that one and will have to take a look at it! I've also been told it's reminiscent of the show Continuum.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Link for stuff about US Patent No 1 linked here: http://cheapass.com/free-games/broken-games/

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Ha! US Patent 1 seems pretty cute. It's definitely much more steampunky and linear than my prototype. We hit different time-travel archetypes!

Just goes to show that for every pair of similar ideas, the concepts can diverge quite substantially. :)

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Trajector wrote:

Ha! US Patent 1 seems pretty cute. It's definitely much more steampunky and linear than my prototype. We hit different time-travel archetypes!Just goes to show that for every pair of similar ideas, the concepts can diverge quite substantially. :)

In case you weren't previously familiar with them, Cheapass Games' design philosophy was to only sell you the unique things you needed, and they were generally strong on theme while scattershot on mechanical tightness/balance. But, Kill Doctor Lucky has been continuously in print & available for roughly 20 years, and One False Step For Man remain one of my favorite titles out of their catalog. (Hey, Paul - if you guys are reading this thread, ping James Earnest about whether he'd be interested in y'all bringing it back into print as a DHM or maybe Fabled Nexus title?)

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I've played Kill Doctor Lucky.  It's not an amazing game, but it's fun to pull out every once in a while.  And the flavor is hilarious.

(For those unfamiliar, Kill Doctor Lucky is reverse Clue.  Rather than investigating who killed the doctor, everybody is competing to be the murderer.  Also, Dr. Lucky is terrifingly good at avoiding his death by accident.  My gaming group is convinced that he's secretly either an alien or a ninja.)

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

I've played Kill Doctor Lucky.  It's not an amazing game, but it's fun to pull out every once in a while.  And the flavor is hilarious. (For those unfamiliar, Kill Doctor Lucky is reverse Clue.  Rather than investigating who killed the doctor, everybody is competing to be the murderer.  Also, Dr. Lucky is terrifingly good at avoiding his death by accident.  My gaming group is convinced that he's secretly either an alien or a ninja.)

The version that was Kickstarted last year cleaned up the rules design *a lot*. (I don't own the new version, but I was able to see the updated rules in a beta form. I unfortunately can't tweak my board, or I'd just use the new board/rules with my older components.)

He's actually done that with all of the games he re-launched - taken advantage of 15+ years' of experience to improve them while keeping the same feel. Unexploded Cow; Deadwood Studios, USA; there's at least one more in there, too.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

So, what's the etiquette on BGG for bumping a thread like this? I didn't get any interest during the week (and I see the Seeking Playtesters forum seems a little sleepy) but now it is ze weekend.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Wait, what?  There's etiquette on BGG?! 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)