The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Citizen Dawn

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Krayden006
Krayden006's picture
Citizen Dawn

Holy crap.  That is all.

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Oh yeah. I fought her thinking "Hey, she's like Voss, it'll be fine." IT WAS NOT FINE. I beat her, but I haven't summoned the courage to take her on again...

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

beevolant

And she's from Canada!

"Crime doesn't keep the Sabbath"

Zalrus9
Zalrus9's picture

oh yeah, she's pretty tough. I really hate when she starts the game with Citizen Truth, too, as he's the most annoying. Anything that prevents the trashing of her citizens is pretty clutch. I don't think she's the hardest villian, but she's the hardest in the base set (although I've yet to beat Omnitron).

Given she's like Magneto, I'd say that's fitting.

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg

dragon2439
dragon2439's picture

Just gotta stop her from using devastating aurora. Man that card is brutal. 

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, horrible nasty card in that there's absolutely nothing you can do about it once it comes out - boom all your stuff is gone, now you have to start building up again, haha :P.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

We tried her for the first time last night.  The first time I don't know if we got a bad draw or what, but she wiped the three of us out in about 5 rounds.  It was a brutal introduction.  Second try we lasted a lot longer but we were just killing minions and barely scratched her.  Another loss.  Third try we thought we had it down.  Did real well for a while.  Then in just one round we were completely devastated.  After that it was a full on brawl.  She killed Tachyon and Tempest.  Scholar was barely hanging on.  He healed himself for a tiny amount but it wasn't going to be enough to survive Dawn's end of turn.  But it was enough to leave Dawn with the fewest hp.  Velociraptor Pack wins the game.  We mark it a win and everyone goes home.

flamethrower49
Playtester

Just wait until you take on the Chairman!

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

flamethrower49 wrote:

Just wait until you take on the Chairman!

Or Iron Legacy

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I find Dawn worse than the Chairman, usually (mainly due to stuff like Truth and that bloody Aurora). But our worst battles tend to be against Plague Rat and the Matriarch. Dawn is definitely up there, and yeah, add in Iron Legacy to the top of the pile, I'd say, though we've only fought him about three times (with one win).

I am the Wordweaver...

Chromium_Man

I played against Dawn for the first time a few weeks ago in Insula Primalis. I want to say it was AZ, Expat, and Tempest. We beat her handily and never even saw Devastating Aurora (which is I'm assuming why we beat her easily). 

The next game we played Voss in Atlantis and he destroyed us. Since then, we have lost to Voss in Atlantis a total of three times. I almost feel like we must be doing something wrong to have had an easy time with a reputedly difficult villain (albeit with a lucky draw) and such a hard time with a villain who is supposedly not as  difficult. 

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

It depends on what Voss drew. Usually, games I play against him are pretty easy, but sometimes he gets a flagship or a quarkdrive and a genebound guard early on in the game before your heroes can really do anything about them.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, Voss can be a pain. Atlantis can be pretty nasty, too - try fighting the Matriarch there and seeing what happens when a Mystical Defences is played...

I am the Wordweaver...

lugaru
lugaru's picture

I agree that Voss is a pain... I still have PTSD from when I tried fighting him in Rook City. "Wait... why is the town giving him free aliens pretty much every turn?!"

As for Dawn I think she is one of those pretty much perfect villains in terms of being tough but beatable, and while her Devastating Aura is really awful, I like the fact that she has that occasional board wipe.

celette482

My boyfriend/game partner still gets the shivers when he thinks about the Matriarch (all those birds... all. those. birds.) But I think Dawn is the one that leads me to say "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" the most. Just when you think you've got her on the ropes, BAM Citizen Truth comes back out of the trash and then you lose everything.

Of course, time and experience have taught me to stack my hand a lot more than I did when I first started playing. When I was a wee one, I would do things during my play and power phase just because. Now I know that if I don't have the best thing ever, I should just draw and hold out a bit longer. The Aurora lives up to its name, but if you have a second copy in your hand, you can at least breath a sigh of relief. This is especially critical for people like Expatriette, who ain't nothing without her gear. Technique has turned a nightmare into a beatable challenge.

Plague Rat. Now THAT is a villain that I never want to see again.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, Rat is a bastard. I do recall a fun game we had against him once, though - two of the heroes were Visionary and Ab'Zero. The former played Twist on the latter, who at some point became Infected. The Infected damage was tehrefore converted to cold damage every time, and of course Ab'Zero had his NPCU out by then, therefore he was healing for free at the start of every turn. I think another copy of Twist may have been playe don Rat himself but I can't actually remember atm. Anyway, the only reason Ab'Zero (played by myself) didn't finish the game at full health was 'cause he nuked himself with his base power in the final turn in order to deal cold damage to Rat (by way of the IT) finishing him off :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basarin

I will second that Citizen Dawn is right mean (Incidentaly my friends and I also were dealing with her in the prehistoric area). It was Fanatic, Zero, Wraith, and Tempest trying to deal with her, and it was all we could do just to keep the number of lackeys under control. Eventually we managed to whittle Dawn down enough so that she qualified as having the second highest HP in the game, leading the T-Rex to reasonably decide she was now lunch.

Just...ow. No wonder the devs put her at Difficulty: 3. 

celette482

Insula Primalis is its own villain in a lot of ways. It can turn an otherwise doable villain into a beast of a slog. I'd imagine that my heroes still can't watch Jurassic Park without major PTSD flashbacks.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I usually don't have TOO much trouble with Dawn. There was this one game, however; We were playing with the Scholar, Nightmist, and I think Haka; basically all heroes that required cards in their hand to be useful. First turn she got Truth and Sweat (the discard one. I think it's Sweat? maybe Tears) and Truth, and played a blinding blast, so everyone was down to 1 card right off the bat and they were all invincible.

That game was a quick, decisive loss.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Tears is the one who forces a discard - if Sweat is otu at the same time, you have to discard a second card as well. Sweat destroys an ongoing card - if Tears is also out, whomever lost an ongoing instead loses all their ongoings.

Yeah, those two buggers have come up quite a lot in our games. When Tears (with or without Sweat) is in play from the start, it can be difficult to get going. Even worse if, as at the weekend, Truth is the other starting Citizen. Sweat came out soon afterwards :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basarin

Stuff like this can make you hope the environment helps you/hinders the villains. That being said, sometimes the heroes are just up a creek with no paddles to be had...

Does anyone have any preferred heroes/strategies when it comes to taking on Dawn? I'll take any advice, but I'm currently restricted to the core set (Rook City is coming in next week, but that's all I've got).

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

It's usually good to take Visionary because she can A) Destroy Dawn's pesky ongoings, B) Use Suggestion to get Citizens out of the trash and postpone Dawn flipping and C) Manipulate the villain deck a little. Wraith can also be a good choice since Infrared Eyepiece can help you avoid Devastating Auroras or any other nasty cards. It might also be good to take a character who can deal decent damage to multiple targets like Tempest, Haka, or Bunker.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Of course, sometimes you look at the top two cards of her deck and they're both Devastating Auroras. Then it's even worse becuase you know all your stuff is about to get nuked but there's bugger all you can do about it. Yes, this has happened in one of our games :P.

I am the Wordweaver...

flamethrower49
Playtester

You'll find some tips here.

It's part of a series, that will continue once I'm done with my grad school applications.  Hope it helps!

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

The bad part about using Wraith to manipulate Dawn's deck, or any other villain's, is that sooner or later you get to the bottom of said deck.  And then there's nothing left but the horrible stuff you didn't want in the first place.  

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Not if you can kill Dawn (or whomeve) fast enough that the deck doesn't get that far ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

That is the main problem we were having I think.  We were spending so much time and effort taking out her citizens that we were barely scratching her.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I have that issue sometimes. Happens a lot against the Matriarch as well.

I am the Wordweaver...

dragon2439
dragon2439's picture

Krayden006 wrote:

The bad part about using Wraith to manipulate Dawn's deck, or any other villain's, is that sooner or later you get to the bottom of said deck.  And then there's nothing left but the horrible stuff you didn't want in the first place.  

Doesnt she have a card that shuffles her discard back into her deck? 

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Dawn?  No, she only shuffles her trash into her deck when she runs out of cards and needs to play/discard another card.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.