The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Challenge Accepted 1: Sanity in Peril

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester
Challenge Accepted 1: Sanity in Peril

Since I played my first PBF game I've been wanting to try my hand at running a game. It just so happens that challenge mode came out at pretty much the same time. So I'd like to run a high stakes game not for the faint of heart where you get settings as hard as they come without houserules. That means advanced challenge mode with pure randomizer.

Get your chance to win the first PBF challenge game on this forum and a place in a Hall of Fame Topic. If the response is good I'll run a few of these. 

Heroes:

Sky-Scraper (grysqrl)

The Scholar (skylarfried13)

The Eternal Haka (RanisTheSlayer)

Kvothe Six-Strings (Ario)

Guise (Powerhound_2000)

Villain:

Infinitor (Advanced Challenge)

Environment:

Realm of Discord

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Count me in. I'll take Sky-Scraper.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I like challenging my Sanity I'll take .........

Guise?

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

skylarfried13
skylarfried13's picture

I'm interested but how does a PBF game work? I'll take The Scholar though.

Ario
Ario's picture
Playtester

I'm interested. I'll take Six Strings. 

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

skylarfried13 wrote:

I'm interested but how does a PBF game work? I'll take The Scholar though.

PBF is play by forum, you can see a few templates for them in Oaktree's topics. As soon as we get a Haka player i'll post the villains turn. This is poster from my french cell phone at my work break so i can't go in détails.

RanisTheSlayer

Ooh, Eternal Haka. Count me in!

cmschex
Playtester

Good luck guys, advanced Infinitor is a large jump in difficulty.  Can't even imagine what challenge mode will look like

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Sanity in Peril - ROUND 1 - Rude Awakening

Villain Turn (Infinitor - Tormented Malefactor)

Setup - The 4 initial manifestations revealed were in order: Twisted Miscreation(A)[4], Recalescent Hellion(A)[4], Lambent Reaper(A)[4]and Twisted Miscreation(B)[4]

Start -
  Less than 5 manifestations (4) in play does not flip

Play - Lambent Reaper(B)

End - (see comment section for the damage decision tree)
 - Infinitor deals Sky-Scraper [29] 4 Energy damage
 - Infinitor plays cards until 6 (H+1) Manifestations are in Play (Only 5 Manifestations are out)
      - Infinitor plays Insanity: Play the top card of the villain deck if that card is a Manifestation card Repeat the entire game text of this card

- Insanity Plays Crushing Cage [4] then Plays Crazed Artifice because Crushing Cage was a Manifestation

- Crazed Artifice reveals 5 cards: Lambent Reaper, Recalescent Hellion, Whispers of Oblivion, Ocular Swarm, Recalescent Hellion all are put in play exept Whispers of Oblivion (Manifestations were put in play by Crazed Artifice)

- Twisted Miscreation(A)[4] deals Haka [28] 5 Energy damage

-  Recalescent Hellion(A)[4] deals Sky-Scraper [26] and Scholar [26] 3 Fire damage each

-  Lambent Reaper(A)[4] deals Kvothe [19] 2 Energy damage and 2 Psychic damage

- Twisted Miscreation(B)[4] deals Haka [23] 5 Energy damage

-  Lambent Reaper(B)[4] deals Kvothe [15] 2 Energy damage and 2 Psychic damage

-  Lambent Reaper(C)[4] deals Kvothe [11] 2 Energy damage and 2 Psychic damage

-  Recalescent Hellion(B)[4] deals Sky-Scraper [23] and Guise [24] 3 Fire damage each

-  Recalescent Hellion(A)[4] deals Scholar [23] and Guise [21] 3 Fire damage each

=======
Effects:

- Reduce damage dealt to Manifestation cards by 2 (Challenge Mode)

- At the start of the Villain turn if there are 5 or more Manifestations Cards in play Flip Infinitors Villain Character Cards (Infinitor)

- Reduce damage dealt to villain targets by 1 (Infinitor)

- At the end of the villain turn Infinitor deals the Hero Target with the Highest HP 4 Energy damage (Infinitor)

- At the end of the Villain Turn, Play cards from the top of the villain deck until at least 6 Manifestation cards are in play (Infinitor Advanced)

- Whenever Twisted Miscreation would be dealt damage reduce that damage to 1 (Twisted Miscreation A,B and C)

- At the End of the Villain Turn, Twisted Miscreation deals the Hero Target with the Highest HP 5 Energy damage (Twisted Miscreation A,B and C)

- At the End of the Villain Turn, Recalescent Hellion deals the two Hero Targets with the Highest HP 3 Fire damage each (Recalescent Hellion A,B and C)

- At the End of the Villain Turn, Lambent Reaper deals the Hero Target with the Lowest HP 2 Energy damage and 2 Psychic damage (Lambent Reaper A,B and C)

- Sky-Scraper (volunteered) may not play cards. At the start of that heros turn, this card deals that hero then itself 1Psychic and 1 Energy damage (Crushing Cage)

- Whenever this card or any other manifestation card is destroyed reveal the top card of the villain deck. If the revealed card is a Manifestation put it in play. If not, discard it and this card deals each hero target 1 energy damage (Ocular Swarm)

Status
======
Infinitor  [65] (Tormented Malefactor)(-1)

Twisted Miscreation(A)[4] (-3)

Recalescent Hellion(A)[4] (-3)

Lambent Reaper(A)[4] (-3)

Twisted Miscreation(B)[4] (-3)

Lambent Reaper(B)[4] (-3)

Crushing Cage [4] (-3)

Lambent Reaper(C)[4] (-3)

Recalescent Hellion(B)[4] (-3)

Ocular Swarm [4] (-3)

Recalescent Hellion(C)[4] (-3)

Villain Trash: Whispers of Oblivion, Crazed Artifice and Insanity

------- 
Sky-Scraper            [23] (Tied high HP)
Scholar                   [23] (Tied high HP)
Eternal Haka           [23] (Tied high HP)
Kvothe Six-Strings  [11] (low HP)
Guise                      [21]

------- Environment --------
None

Comments:

All damage choices ultimately led to those HP values so I didn't bother asking you guys. You still need to decide wich hero is affected by the crushing cage. That was a nasty first turn I didn't expect to have 10 manifestations in play before heroes could act. I tried to be as concise as I could with effects if something isn't clear tell me and I'll rectify it.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm not planning to play a card this turn, so here's what I'm doing, regardless of where the Crushing Cage goes. I -can- take the Crushing Cage (I'm not a bad choice for it, since my starting hand isn't great), but would like for it to be gone in a round or two. What is our strategy here? Just wail on Infinitor and try to take him out before his stuff kills us?

Sky-Scraper

Size: Normal
HP: 23
Play:
Hand: Neutralizing Resonator, Rest and Recover, Catch A Ride, Undetectable Relinking
Trash:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start: Crushing Cage deals Sky-Scraper 1 and 1 crushing damage
Play: -
Power: Surveilance - draw Colossal Left Hook and Explosive Reveal
Draw: draw Linking Incursion
End:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP: 21
Play:
Hand: Neutralizing Resonator, Colossal Left Hook, Explosive Reveal, Rest and Recover, Catch A Ride, Linking Incursion, Undetectable Relinking
Trash:

RanisTheSlayer

Medic-Tank wrote:

Reduce damage dealt to Manifestation cards by 2 (Challenge Mode)

0_0

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Crushing cage is now next to Sky-Scraper and has dealt her 2 dmg at the end of her turn

Powerhound_2000

Well attacking manifestations on this side is practically worthless at DR 3 except for potentially Haka nd we know Infinitor is going to flip destroying one of his manifestations.  So I vote attacking Infinitor or get a hand setup this turn.   On Infinitor's turn we choose to destroy the Crushing Cage.  I think we just need to let Infinitor flip and burn him down as quickly as possible letting Infinitor destroy the Manifestations doing us the most harm.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

When he flips wich manifestation would you like destroyed?

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Either the Crushing Cage or the Ocular Swarm. Probably the Ocular Swarm is better to destroy.

skylarfried13
skylarfried13's picture

The Scholar

HP: 23
Play:
Hand: Don't Dismiss Anything, Truth Seeker, Mortal Form To Energy, Proverbs And Axioms
Trash:

Start:
Play: Proverbs and Axioms [One-Shot], (Each player draws 1 card, each hero may either regain 2 HP or deal themselves 3 psychic damage and use a power) Scholar regains 2 HP
Power: Better Living (HP + 1)
Draw: Solid To Liquid (Proverbs And Axioms), Mortal Form To Energy
End:

HP: 26
Play:
Hand: Don't Dismiss Anything, Truth Seeker, Mortal Form To Energy x2, Solid To Liquid
Trash: Proverbs And Axioms

RanisTheSlayer

Haka draws Punish the Weak from Proverbs and Axioms, and heals 2 HP [25].

Eternal Haka

Play:
Hand: Punish the Weak, Ta Moko, Haka of Shielding, Dominion, Savage Mana
Trash:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start:
Play:
Ta Moko. Haka is -1 damage taken.
Power: Haka of Knowledge; draws vitality surge. Discards Haka of Shielding, draws Taiaha and Ta Moko.
Draw: Enduring Intercession
End:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP: 25 (-1)
Play: Ta Moko
Hand: Enduring Intercession, Taiaha, Ta Moko, Savage Mana, Dominion, Vitality Surge, Punish the Weak

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sky-Scraper draws a second Colossal Left Hook and heals 2 HP [23].

Powerhound_2000

Guise draws Look What I Found! and regains 2HP [23]

Edit: My current hand 

Hand: Gimmicky Character, Lemme See That..., Look What I Found! x2, Blatant Reference

I plan to play Gimmicky Character on my turn so I can mill a card from Infinitor's deck and possibly prevent one manifestation from coming out.  

Ario
Ario's picture
Playtester

Kvothe Six-Strings draws Inspiring Super Tonic and heals 2 HP [13] 

(Hand: Arcane Cadence, Vernal Sonata, Syncopated Onslaught, Telemon's Lyra, Inspiring Super-Tonic.) 

Play: Vernal Sonata: Each hero target regains 1 HP [14] and may take a card from thier trash (I have none.) 

Power: Reveal the top 2 cards of any 2 decks: Sky-scraper and Kvothe

Kvothe reveals: Eydiar's Horn 

Sky Scraper reveals: ? 

(I'm fine with not playing the horn if Sky-Scraper likes what she reveals. 

Draw: Sarabande of destruction

----End of Turn-----

[14]

Hand: Arcane Cadence, Vernal Sonata, Syncopated Onslaught, Telemon's Lyra, Inspiring Super-Tonic, Sarabande of Destruction

Effect: All hero targets regain 1 HP, Haka and Scholar make take a card from their trash and put it on top of their deck

-Reveal the top card of Sky-Scraper's Deck: potentially put it into play

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sky-Scraper reveals Undetectable Relinking. It's useless at the moment - you should play the Horn.

RanisTheSlayer

Haka will put Haka of Shielding on top of his deck.

Powerhound_2000

If you can't beat them, jump a shark!

Guise

HP: 23

Hand: Gimmicky Character, Lemme See That..., Look What I Found! x2, Blatant Reference

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start

Play: Gimmicky Character. Discard the top card of each deck.
Guise discards Say Cheese!
Haka discards Haka of Shielding
Scholar discards Axioms and Proverbs.
Sky-Scraper discards Cortex Hypersimulator
Argent Adept discards Cedistic Dissonance
Environment discards Ghostly Images
Infinitor discards Ocular Swarm

Guise regains 1 HP [24]
I will not play an additional card

Power: Tough Choices - I will draw Where Did I Leave That... and deal Infinitor a net of 0 melee damage.
Draw: Total Beefcake

End
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP: 24
Hand: Lemme See That..., Look What I Found! x2, Blatant Reference, Where Did I Leave That..., Total Beefcake

In Play: nothing

Trash: Say Cheese!, Gimmicky Character

Top of Deck: ?
Bottom of Deck: ?

Additional Effects: none

RanisTheSlayer

Well, Haka will go ahead and discard that Haka of Shielding he just put on top of his deck. 

Powerhound_2000

Sorry about that......but Sharks!

skylarfried13
skylarfried13's picture

Same with my Axioms and Proverbs.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sky-Scraper loses Cortex Hyperstimulator.

Also, you're doing it wrong. Guise is never sorry.

Powerhound_2000

Need discards from top of deck for Argent Adept, Infintor, and the environment.  Then it's on to the environment turn.  

Ario
Ario's picture
Playtester

Discard Cedistic Dissonance

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

I apologize for the delay I was feeling quite ill the last few days, environment discards Ghostly Images and Infinitor discards Ocular Swarm. Environment post and villain post to come out soon.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Double post will put environment here.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sorry to hear, Medic-Tank. Hope you're feeling better.

Powerhound_2000

Get better!

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Environment - The Realm of Discord

Loud pops everywhere as the heroes are threathened by the bubbles around them

In Play: None

Start: None

Play: Explosive Bubbles [5]

End: Explosive Bubbles deals 2 energy damage to 5 (x=5) non-environment targets with the highest HP: Infinitor [64](-1), Scholar [24], Haka [24], Sky-Scraper [21] and Guise [22]

Trash: Ghostly Images

Effects:

- At the end of turn, Explosive Bubbles deals 2 energy damage to x (x=HP) non-environment targets with the highest HP

Powerhound_2000

Guise is at 22 since I gained one health from Gimmicky Character and had been at 24 going into the environment turn. 

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Sanity in Peril - ROUND 2 - And the music stopped

Villain Turn (Infinitor - Tormented Malefactor)

Start -
  More than 5 manifestations (10) in play flips to Unstable Despoiler

- Damage Taken -1 Villains is replaced by Damage Dealt +1 Villains

-There are Manifestations in play Infinitor does not flip back

Play - Ocular Swarm (B) [4] (-2)

End - (see comment section for the damage decision tree)
 - Infinitor destroys the manifestation with the lowest HP Ocular Swarm (A) (Suggested by grysqrl)

-Ocular Swarm (A) reveals Machinations of a Madman it gets discarded and Ocular Swarm (A) Deals each Hero Targets 2 (1+1) energy damage: Sky-Scraper [19], Scholar [22], Haka [23] (-1), Kvothe [11] and Guise [20]

-Ocular Swarm (B) reveals Whispers of Oblivion it gets discarded and Ocular Swarm (B) Deals each Hero Targets 2 (1+1) energy damage: Sky-Scraper [17], Scholar [20], Haka [22] (-1), Kvothe [9] and Guise [18]

-Ocular Swarm (A) hits the trash

-Infinitor deals 6 (5+1) projectile damage to the 2 Hero Targets with the Highest HP: Haka [17] (-1) and Scholar [14]

- Twisted Miscreation(A)[4] deals Guise [12] 6 (5+1) Energy damage

-  Recalescent Hellion(A)[4] deals Sky-Scraper [13] 4 (3+1) Fire damage and Haka [14] 3 (3+1-1) Fire Damage

-  Lambent Reaper(A)[4] deals Kvothe [3] 3 (2+1) Energy damage and 3 (2+1) Psychic damage

- Twisted Miscreation(B)[4] deals Haka [9] 5 (5+1-1) Energy damage

-  Lambent Reaper(B)[4] deals Kvothe [-3 Incapped] 3 (2+1) Energy damage and 3 (2+1) Psychic damage

-  Lambent Reaper(C)[4] deals Haka [5] 2 (2+1-1) Energy damage and 2 (2+1-1) Psychic damage

-  Recalescent Hellion(B)[4] deals Scholar [10] 4 (3+1) Fire Damage and Sky-Scraper [9] 4 (3+1) Fire damage

-  Recalescent Hellion(C)[4] deals Guise [8] 4 (3+1) Fire Damage and Scholar [6] 4 (3+1) Fire damage

=======
Effects:

- Reduce damage dealt to Manifestation cards by 2 (Challenge Mode)

- At the start of the Villain turn if there are no Manifestations Cards in play Flip Infinitors Villain Character Cards (Infinitor)

- At the end of the villain turn , destroy the manifestation card with the lowest HP, then Infinitor deals 5 projectile damage to the 2 Hero Targets with the Highest HP (Infinitor)

- Increase damage dealt by villain targets by 1 (Infinitor Advanced)

- Whenever Twisted Miscreation would be dealt damage reduce that damage to 1 (Twisted Miscreation A,B)

- At the End of the Villain Turn, Twisted Miscreation deals the Hero Target with the Highest HP 5 Energy damage (Twisted Miscreation A,B)

- At the End of the Villain Turn, Recalescent Hellion deals the two Hero Targets with the Highest HP 3 Fire damage each (Recalescent Hellion A,B and C)

- At the End of the Villain Turn, Lambent Reaper deals the Hero Target with the Lowest HP 2 Energy damage and 2 Psychic damage (Lambent Reaper A,B and C)

- Sky-Scraper (volunteered) may not play cards. At the start of that heros turn, this card deals that hero then itself 1Psychic and 1 Energy damage (Crushing Cage)

- Whenever this card or any other manifestation card is destroyed reveal the top card of the villain deck. If the revealed card is a Manifestation put it in play. If not, discard it and this card deals each hero target 1 energy damage (Ocular Swarm B)

Status
======
Infinitor  [64] (Unstable Despoiler)

Twisted Miscreation(A)[4] (-2)

Recalescent Hellion(A)[4] (-2)

Lambent Reaper(A)[4] (-2)

Twisted Miscreation(B)[4] (-2)

Lambent Reaper(B)[4] (-2)

Crushing Cage [4] (-2)

Lambent Reaper(C)[4] (-2)

Recalescent Hellion(B)[4] (-2)

Recalescent Hellion(C)[4] (-2)

Ocular Swarm (B) [4] (-2)

Villain Trash: Whispers of Oblivion x2, Crazed Artifice, Insanity, Ocular Swarm x2, Machinations of a Madman

------- 
Sky-Scraper            [9] (high HP)
Scholar                   [6] 
Eternal Haka           [5] (-1)(low HP)
Kvothe Six-Strings  Incapped
Guise                      [8]

------- Environment --------
Exploding Bubbles [5]

Comments:

I prioritized Haka to take damage when I could to take advantage of Ta Moko. There were a few choices on where to Put the damage but I doubt it would change much if you guys insist I ll take out the full flow chart. I followed grysqrl advice on what manifestation to destroy but if you all feel different we can change that.

Edit: adjusted to take into account Guise's missing HP

Edit 2: I had forgotten to put the bubbles damage and the right side on Infinitor

Edit 3: Readjusted final HPs for heroes I believe it<s now ok

Powerhound_2000

All I have to say is ouchies.   I don't know how we survive this as Sky-Scraper can't play cards and at best I can take out one manifestation

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

I tried not to backseat coach but I have a few ideas on stuff I might have done differently on the first turn.

cmschex
Playtester

Seriously, Advanced Infinitor (regardless of challenge mode) might be one of the biggest steps up in difficult from regular to advanced.  Like Ennead level step up

Powerhound_2000

I'm sure some thigns could have been reworked but there was no way to deal with all of the manifestations having DR3

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sky-Scraper

HP: 9
Play:
Hand: Neutralizing Resonator, Colossal Left Hook (2), Explosive Reveal, Rest and Recover, Catch A Ride, Linking Incursion, Undetectable Relinking
Trash: Cortex Hyperstimulator, Undetectable Relinking

Start: Crushing Cage deals 2 and 2 crushing damage to Sky-Scraper [5]
Play: -
Power: Surveilance - draw Rebounding Debilitator and Neutralizing Resonator
Draw: draw Colossal Left Hook
End:

HP: 5
Play:
Hand: Neutralizing Resonator (2), Rebounding Debilitator, Colossal Left Hook (3), Explosive Reveal, Rest and Recover, Catch A Ride, Linking Incursion, Undetectable Relinking
Trash: Cortex Hyperstimulator, Undetectable Relinking

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Wow.  I don't think I've ever seen someone incapped on the second turn before.  This looks like it's going to be a short game.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Ario
Ario's picture
Playtester

I suspected it might happen, but I thought I'd get through to the end of this turn with 1 health. 

skylarfried13
skylarfried13's picture

Sorry about the delay, I had to go out of town suddenly.

The Scholar

HP: 6
Play:
Hand: Don't Dismiss Anything, Truth Seeker, Mortal Form To Energy x2, Solid To Liquid
Trash:

Start:
Play: Don't Dismiss Anything [One Shot] Each player may either move I card from their trash to the top of their deck or put the top card of their deck into play, Scholar plays Flesh to Iron
Power: Better Living (HP + 1)
Draw: Offensive Transmutation
End:

HP: 7
Play: Flesh to Iron (-2 Damage)
Hand:Truth Seeker, Mortal Form To Energy x2, Solid To Liquid, Offensive Transmutation
Trash: Proverbs And Axioms, Don't Dismiss Anything

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ooooh. Top card of Sky-Scraper's deck into play:

Ugh. Rest and Recover. Heal 1 [6], draw Linking Incursion, and put Cortex Hyperstimulator back into my hand.

Powerhound_2000

Guise puts Selling Out from top of deck into play.....dang

RanisTheSlayer

Sorry guys, I've been crazy busy over the last couple days. I'll update tonight.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

So anybody got any news from Ranis? And if not what do we do when we hit the one week mark of absence from the forum? Do you guys want me to play his turn ifhe doesn't come back?

Powerhound_2000

I would say play his turn.  

green knight

my sanity is in the balance.

Haha you're toast heroebrine. :green Goomba Luigi royal guardian:mine craft impact of the heroebrine
go picachu. :Element:sonicmon
Thanks for the Cupid's bow element o sonic. :Amy:the untold stories of sonic the hedgehog:Amy's Valentine's day trap

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I would say play his turn.  

I second.

Pages