The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Catch-a-Ride & Jack Handle

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blackfang108
Playtester
Catch-a-Ride & Jack Handle

So, I was playing with SkyScraper & Fixer against the Chairman, and I had SkyScraper play Catch-a-Ride, using Fixer to atttack.

Fixer swung for the fences, and then... nothing.  No irreducible damage, no choice of who to do the 2 damage to.

Is this a bug, or is there something I'm missing here?

Fixer killed off the last target, but there were still 3 targets that he'd dealt damage to that were in play.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

It is supposed to give an option on which target to hit.   My guess is there is an issue when you destroy one of the targets.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

This actually may be working as intended.

Jackhandle actually replaces what would have been the original attack with the new attack jackhandle creates. There is a rider clause on Catch-a-Ride that requires the first attack to have happened and dealt damage for the 2nd attack to activate. Since the first attack from CaR never happened (since it was replaced by the jackhandle effect for a different attack) it seems to me that the condidtion for the 2nd effect was never actually met.

Strange edge case here! It certainly would seem intuitive that CaR's 2nd attack would occur, and thats very likely how I would play it live on the table. But it doesn't surprise me thats how it works in the game due to how Jackhandle is coded.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Was the first target you hit with it destroyed?  The first target (or last target) you hit would be the one most likely to cause the computer to not process the second hit, because the target didn't survive the initial hit.

Powerhound_2000

Per the Fireside Chats Sky-Scraper is supposed to have a choice.   I've sent feedback to Handelabra.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Per the Fireside Chats Sky-Scraper is supposed to have a choice.   I've sent feedback to Handelabra.  

Was CaR+Jackhandle already a specific case mentioned from Fireside?

Powerhound_2000

It was.  You can find it under here http://sentinelswiki.com/index.php?title=Clarifications#Fireside_Chats_11 under Tools

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

It was.  You can find it under here http://sentinelswiki.com/index.php?title=Clarifications#Fireside_Chats_11 under Tools

Ah OK! Disregard my first post then.

Carry on.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Mr Fixer: The weird mechanic with weird mechanics.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Blackfang108
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:

Was the first target you hit with it destroyed?  The first target (or last target) you hit would be the one most likely to cause the computer to not process the second hit, because the target didn't survive the initial hit.

The first target was the Operative (I think MAY have been a Corrupt Cop who was killed, can't remember), who was still in one piece (then.  I turned her to paste later).

The last target was a mook (not a Corrupt Cop, not a Goons).

I'll see if I can replicate the issue later.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Foote wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Ah OK! Disregard my first post then.Carry on.

Hooraaaaaaay, people are going to the wiki for these!
McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Weird Mechanic, the Weird Mechanic game?

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Blackfang108
Playtester

Blackfang108 wrote:

phantaskippy wrote:

The first target was the Operative (I think MAY have been a Corrupt Cop who was killed, can't remember), who was still in one piece (then.  I turned her to paste later).The last target was a mook (not a Corrupt Cop, not a Goons).I'll see if I can replicate the issue later.

OK, I was able to replicate, eventually. 

My first game, CAR came out after Sparky flipped.  The last target (as well as some others) died. I was given the choice of who SkyScraper was to hit. I hit rewind, and tried it again, killing the first target.  Still got the choice.

So I restsarted until I had CAR and Micro-Assembler in hand, so I could make sure to try it with an unflipped Chairman.

On her second turn, SkyScraper played CAR.

The first target I hit was an unflipped Chairman, and I did NOT get the option of choosing who SkyScraper was to hit.

I rewound, and hit The Operative first, and was given the choice of who SkyScraper was to hit.

So it seems that if the very first target doesn't take damage, Catch A Ride doesn't trigger.

Powerhound_2000

I replicated it against Voss which would also have a target which didn't take damage.  I've made Handelabra aware of it on Mega Computer. 

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Good work guys, I love crowd-troubleshooting.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

So does Ambuscade. Luckily the Freedom Five is usually there to prevent too many injuries.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!