The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Buffer Overflow and indestructible cards

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester
Buffer Overflow and indestructible cards

If a Villain would play an indestructible card but Parse elects to destroy buffer overflow what is supposed to happen?

I would think the villain card would be discarded (since it never entered play) but in the video game the card enters play anyway and buffer overflow is destroyed (Parse draws a card and the next villain card in played).

I can't tell if this is a bug or intended behavior.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I would think the villain card should be discarded.   Then since Buffer Overflow wasn't destroyed another villain isn't played and Parse does not draw a card.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Powerhound_2000

Was it a target by chance?

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Yes, it was Huninn on advanced Matriarch's front side.

Powerhound_2000

The card enters play before Buffer Overflow triggers and since they are indestructible due to Advanced Matriarch that is preventing them from being discarded. 

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

The card enters play before Buffer Overflow triggers

Correct me if I am wrong (I am going off of the PT proofs), doesn't the text read:

When a villain card would enter play, you may choose to discard it instead.

If that is still the printed wording, then the card never actually enters play before Buffer triggers. This to me sounds like a Bug, as there is no rules that I am aware of that prevent indestructable cards from being discarded from the top of the deck, as that is what happens instead of the card entering play.

Someone page MP. He is good with this kinda stuff.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Hmmm. I disagree Powerhound.

Buffer Overflow triggers when a card would enter play, not after it has. The Cohort is not yet in play so the indestructibility shouldn't factor in and it should be discardable.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

You can't discard a card in play.

That isn't a thing.

Powerhound_2000

Ok.  Well I'll post this to Handelabra then for a ruling and most likely a fix.  

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

I just sent in a bug report so that they'll have my log in case it is a bug.

Powerhound_2000

I sent it as well so they'll have more to review. 

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

You can't discard a card in play. That isn't a thing.

Edit: nvm misread

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

About the only thing that wouldn't work with is Drugs, I believe, because they enter play if they end up in the trash. So you discard it, it comes into play anyway and then you also get a villain play.

Actually, someone should test that once this is resolved.

neoadvent89
neoadvent89's picture

Actually had that happen earlier today. Used it against a drug to see what would happen. The drug wasn't discarded, message came up that the card was indestructible and could not be removed from play. Buffer overflow was destroyed and another villain card was still played.

Powerhound_2000

While the order of that is incorrect the ultimate result for that is the same as you can't stop the drugs from coming into play.  

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Just got an email from Handelabra,

Christopher has ruled that buffer overflow cannot prevent indestructible cards from being played.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Coming here to post that - yep!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Aw... But Buffer Overflow was one of my favorite Fixed Point shenanigans.  I loved watching it turn into Take Down for a turn.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Dandolo wrote:

Just got an email from Handelabra,

Christopher has ruled that buffer overflow cannot prevent indestructible cards from being played.

So the definition of "indestructible" needs to be expanded then, correct? Or is this a case where it is specific to Buffer Overflow?  

I think the effect of the ruling is that Indestructible cards cannot be discarded from the top of the deck, if it is the case that Indestructible is expanding it's definition. So, if we had someone like Naturalist or Guise discard the top card of a villain deck that happened to be indestructible, would that card be put into play as well?

If the above answer is No, then it is a specific ruling for Buffer Overlow. And in that case, I'd ask why that ruling makes sense in relation to the rules other cards follow and the specific wording used on Buffer.

Powerhound_2000

My thought would be along the same lines as how Heroic Interception works.  The second it is played all other hero targets are immune to damage even though the enters play has yet to trigger since you can redirect that damage.   So I would take it that an Indestructible card has that affect the instant it would enter play.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

It has nothing to do with cards being discarded from the top of a deck - those cards would not be entering play.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Kratos13

But as others have pointed out Buffer Overflow's card wording says "when a villain card would enter play, you may discard it instead..."

The "instead" should prevent the card from entering play at all.

Can't say I agree with this ruling.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

MigrantP wrote:

It has nothing to do with cards being discarded from the top of a deck - those cards would not be entering play.

Doesn't it though? So is the wording of "instead" on Buffer Overflow going to be retconned or will all instances of "instead" clauses be getting similar treatment to the Buffer Overflow ruling?

when a villain card would enter play, you may discard it instead...

This seems to me that the Instead part of Buffer Overflow is never allowed to occur. If it does in fact occur, and the ruling is that cards that are indestructible have that text active even while still in the deck, it follows that any indestructible cards should be unable to be discarded from the deck as well.

I do see a discrepency here. It's either Buffer Overflow is being ruled as a specific case (which would nessesitate errata of some kind), or the rules of indestructible cards is now being expanded upon.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Agreed. I was too hasty. Buffer Overflow should be able to discard indestructible cards before they enter play and gain the indestructible attribute.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

And thus the Multiverse was saved again, thanks to the forumites!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

In before Christopher smokebombs away.

Powerhound_2000

Christopher wrote:

Agreed. I was too hasty. Buffer Overflow should be able to discard indestructible cards before they enter play and gain the indestructible attribute.

I think you like MigrantP taking all the heat on some of these and then come in to save the day.   Just like a villain pretending to be a hero cheeky

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Oh no! Powerhound has me figured out! Guess I'd better prove bobbertoriley correct!

*smoke bomb*

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I think you like MigrantP taking all the heat on some of these and then come in to save the day.   Just like a villain pretending to be a hero cheeky

MP is a true Hero in his own right. The crap he has to put up with on this forum? Man deserves a medal.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Foote wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

MP is a true Hero in his own right. The crap he has to put up with on this forum? Man deserves a medal.

Not just here, you should see some of the stuff they up to over on the steam and handelabra forums.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Those of us who used to fight to get official rules answers, and then try to parse Christopher's answers into functional game mechanics, really understand that the work Handelabra does is no clean process.

As one of the forumites most prone to ranting about rules, I appreciate all the steps that we go through to get things to a good point.

Glad this ruling changed.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I'm really looking forward to OblivAeon, and all of the new and exciting rules discussions it will prompt.  

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000

It breaks everything or maybe it doesn't who knows.  

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

Those of us who used to fight to get official rules answers, and then try to parse Christopher's answers into functional game mechanics, really understand that the work Handelabra does is no clean process. 

Good lord. Truer words may not have ever been spoken.