The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Boston Comic Con cosplay

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
seesome
seesome's picture
Boston Comic Con cosplay

My daughter and I in our outfits for this year's Boston Comic Con.  We didn't go as Sentinels characters, but we're still superheroes so I thought I'd share.

I'm cosplaying as Kevin Matchstick from Mage (I figure Matchstickman will approve) and my daughter is Nico Minoru from Runaways.

Time for some scientific action!
https://twitter.com/SeeSome

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

My approval is through the roof!

Runaways was also good.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

First, awesome costumes! I knew who you were right off the bat, and that's always a good thing when it comes to cosplay.

I'm curious though, will the convention let you bring in the bat? Or is it just a whiffle-ball bat painted over, and so it's okay?

seesome
seesome's picture

Thanks!

It was a plastic bat that I spray-painted with a layer of white and then a layer of slightly yellowish glow-in-the-dark paint to give it a bit of a shimmer.  The con was fine with me bringing it in.

Generally lightweight or plastic props are fine (think about all of the Harly Quinn's that carry giant mallets), but an actual wood or alumninum bat would be frowned upon and possibly confiscated at the prop check.  My daughter's staff was a light-weight wooden dowel with a foam headpiece (spray-painted gold).

Of course, prop rules vary from convention to convention, so always check first.  

seesome
seesome's picture

My daughter, who wasn't even born when the last issue of Mage came out didn't think people would recognize me.  But she's young and forgot to account for all of us "olds" who go to the cons and I got a bunch of high-fives and smiles from the folks who appreciated my outfit.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Your daughter looks amazingly advanced for somone only just a month old!

The last issue of Mage came out on the 13th of July this year, the final part of the trilogy is finally starting!

seesome
seesome's picture

Yes, yes, you knew what I meant :-P  I thought about correcting myself, but felt that it wasn't worth it.  Besides, the July issue wasn't a full issue, just a half-size issue #0 prelude (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

What'd you think of the full-on #1 for the new series?  I _loved_ it and am really excited to see where the story goes and how we got from Defined to Denied.

Plus, Matt's art is just amazing and his son's work on the coloring is excellent.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I forgot that was his son doing the colouring.

I'm loving (whole one issue!) series so far, though I do think it was odd the way they framed the "reveal" of his wife, we knew who it was going to be from the get go so I'm not sure what the point of concealing her face was.

And finally(!) we will get to know more about the pack by the end of the series, I figure it's death or time. And who will be Mage this time around? I suspect we will see a similar transformation into Mirth again.