The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Bloomington games?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester
Bloomington games?

Are there any regular games going on in Bloomington, IN?  I know about the Indianapolis games, and I'll definitely make it up to some of those, but I'm also hoping to avoid the drive some of the time.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I know of none.  If you can set them up yourself, and if they are big enough, and if they are infrequent enough, and if they occur during weekends, myself (as well as possibly a friend of mine) might not mind checking out a couple.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Arenson9 worked with the folks at Game Preserve - he might have a contact there that can help you set up something or see if there is already a group in place, there.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The manager at GP Bloomington is Wendy and I'd be happy to offer an introduction, but you probably don't need it. If you're setting up a regular get together, they care much more about whether or not they can trust you to show up and whether or not anyone else will show up than whether or not they are introduced to you by me. Also, despite exchanging email w/ Wendy and talking to her on the phone once, I've never met her in person.

I've heard there are other game stores in Bloomington, so I recommend you shop around and find the one that works best -- they're happy you are there, they have good hours, they have good snacks, they have a good location, whatever. I think there's a store called something like Common Room Games.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Arsenal is unique compared to any other game store I know of in that it's business model is as much or more about selling food then selling games, so they are really keen to have groups in. Now, every game store likes to have players in the store, because there's a chance you'll buy product, but some games are more lucrative than others. People are always buying more kit for Magic The Gathering or Warhammer, so having those games in the shop is great. People want to load up on their arsenal. Sentinels? Not so much. There might be the odd  purchase of an expansion or something, but the market gets saturated much more quickly.

Still, the stores are probably happy enough to put you on the schedule as long as you aren't interfering with anything else.

I think you'll find that the most important thing is to have a core group of people who enjoy playing and enjoy being with each other enough that they want to keep doing it over and over again.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

No need to repeat yourself, Andy.

No need to repeat yourself, Andy.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Thanks for the advice! Common Room Games is great, I've enjoyed hanging out there a lot. The owner is really enthusiastic. I just wanted to check if there was something existing before trying to start another event.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I hadn't thought about food as a source of profit. Common Room Games also sells food, I wonder if they make a significant amount that way.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

TheJayMann wrote:

No need to repeat yourself, Andy.No need to repeat yourself, Andy.

Yeah. Weird. I don't recall hitting submit twice. Duplicate deleted.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Must be nice to be able to delete your own posts.  Last time I tried that, it didn't work... :(

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm