The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Blighted Streets and Null-Point Calibration Unit

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
ketigid
Blighted Streets and Null-Point Calibration Unit

Blighted Streets wrote:
Increase damage dealt to hero targets by 1.
At the end of each hero's turn, if that hero dealt no damage this turn, their player may discard 2 cards to destroy this card.
When this card is destroyed, play the top card of the villain deck.

Null-Point Calibration Unit wrote:
When Absolute Zero would take cold damage, regain that many HP instead.

Thermodynamics wrote:
Power: Absolute Zero deals himself 1 fire damage or 1 cold damage.

When Blighted Streets and Null-Point Calibration Unit in play, can Absolute Zero use Thermodynamics to deal himself 1 cold damage, then increase that damage to 2 because of Blighted Streets, then regains 2 HP because of Null-Point Calibration Unit, then go on to discard 2 cards to destroy Blight Streets because he did "no damage" this turn?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yep, because Null-Point says "instead" - he didn't deal damage, he only regained HP.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

This hinges on the distinction between initiating an attack and whether or not a target actually had HP reduced.

I don't think it's clear which of those two are intended by the text "if that hero dealt no damage",

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Guess we'll have to look for an official response, as I thought it was pretty clear in the wording "At the end of each hero's turn, if that hero dealt no damage this turn," as there's no mention of initiating an attack, just of doing damage.

I could easily be wrong, though! :)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

This goes back to another conversation we had on the boards, my position is he did 'do damage', just that the damage increased instead of decreased the HP total.

Related discussion (unresolved)

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

dragonlordged
dragonlordged's picture

My reading would be that he dealt damage, but he did not take damage.  The NPCU only replaces "takes damage" with "takes no damage"  and the taking damage trigger requires something to be dealing damage.

Tegulus

I think "would" and "instead" are the key words here. They imply that AZ "would" (but doesn't) take damage. "Instead" (in place of that) he regains hit points. So he is never dealt damage.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

And, if he never was dealt damage, he never dealt damage either.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

That's what I thought as well.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hey, folks. Arenson9 and I are sitting here with Christopher and described the situation. He said that since no hp were reduced, no damage was dealt. Therefore, he can discard two cards to get rid of Blighted Streets.

Rabit

ketigid

Rabit wrote:
Hey, folks. Arenson9 and I are sitting here with Christopher and described the situation. He said that since no hp were reduced, no damage was dealt. Therefore, he can discard two cards to get rid of Blighted Streets.

Rabit

Cool! That's about as official a ruling as it can get.  ;)

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Rabit wrote:

Rabit

Here in Indy? In St. Louis? At some unknown (to me) convention?

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

ketigid

Rabit wrote:

Rabit

Also, calling Spiff to add this to his unofficial guide.  :D

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I'll add it to the list of updates to make once I get a few more to do all at once.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

TheJayMann wrote:

Rabit wrote:

Rabit

Here in Indy? In St. Louis? At some unknown (to me) convention?

Origins (Columbus, OH)

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I'll have to tell my cousin then.  He lives outside Cleveland, and has always wanted to play the game (beyond the 4 games he's played with me when he was around).