The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Best of Times Chrono-Ranger bounty destruction

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
dyeung87
Playtester
Best of Times Chrono-Ranger bounty destruction

This question came up in a game against Miss Information involving Best of Times Chrono-Ranger.

Miss Information has a "Cat" Stuck in a Tree and an Old Lady in the Streets.

Chrono-ranger has Dead or Alive on "Cat" Stuck in a Tree and The Whole Gang on Old Lady in the Streets.

Chrono-Ranger uses True Purpose, targeting "Cat" Stuck in a Tree.

On Ra's turn, Ra manages to get "Cat" Stuck in a Tree and Old Lady in the Streets to 4hp, then uses his Staff of Ra to destroy "Cat" Stuck in a Tree. Because of True Purpose, The Whole Gang destroys Old Lady in the Streets. 

I believe that both bounties would then be destroyed. However, the player playing Chrono-Ranger disagreed, saying that True Purpose prevents the destruction of The Whole Gang. I argued that The Whole Gang doesn't destroy itself when the target of True Purpose leaves play, but will indeed destroy itself when its original target (Old Lady in the Streets) leaves play.

We also argued about whether Dead or Alive (or any bounty for that matter) can be applied to the same target twice using True Purpose, and would also prevent destroying itself if that target leaves play. This is non-trivial, as having those bounties out with no targets would have pretty good benefits pertaining to Chrono-Ranger's equipment.

So, can True Purpose prevent the destruction of bounties in the above fashion? 

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Text of True Purpose: "Select a non-Hero Target. Until the start of your next turn, all Bounty cards also affect that target and are not destroyed when a target leaves play."

This says that "All Bounty cards are not destroyed when a target leaves play."  This says to me that Whole Gang would not have been destroyed when Old Lady was.  The key word is "a target" as opposed to "the target".  If it was "the target" then that would indicate that the destruction prevention was tied to the target mentioned earlier, but since it is "a target", I'd apply the protection to the original as well.

As far as stacking goes, I don't think that you can stack a bounty by pointing it at the target it's already attached to, but I'm less confident about my reasoning there.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Text on true purpose is this "Select a non-hero target.  Until after the next time you use a power, all bounty cards also affect that target and are not destroyed when that target leaves play" and you can see the image here http://sentinelswiki.com/index.php?title=File:Bestoftimeschronorangernew...

I do see the wiki page entry for Chrono Ranger is wrong and I'll update that in a bit.  

Anyways, in this case I would say "The Whole Gang" is destroyed that was on the Old Lady since True Purpose wasn't used on that target but "Dead or Alive" should remain out staying in the villain play area in this case.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Wiki page for Chrono Ranger updated to reflect correct wording for True Purpose. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

The question of whether you can apply a bounty twice is interesting, and I would think the answer is no, since you are simply expanding the list of targets the bounty applies to, not creating a new effect that could overlap.

It should be testable in the video game to see the official intent.