The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Best Card?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gaarus
Best Card?

What does everyone think the best card is and why?
I think Impromptu Invention is because it essentially puts you a full turn ahead and allows you to bring out your best equipment for whatever job you want The Wraith to do.

awp832
Playtester

Yeah. that's a great one, no arguement there.

But I also really like Tempest's "Reclaim from the Deep"

"Imbue Fire" and "Inspirational Presence" are also really, really good.  I'd probably have to go with Inspirational Presence as the best single card, if  I had to pick one.

"He robbed from the rich and he-
gave to the poor.
Stood up to the Man and he-
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,
the man they call "Jayne""

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

I'm very partial to the cards with enormous damage potential, like Wrathful Retribution, Omni-Cannon, and Tachyon's big single-target damager, the name is escaping me at the moment.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

You mean like when you have 13 bursts in the trash already, you have the goggles allowing two plays, you have a oneshot burst allowing two more plays, and you have all three of those cards you were refering to?

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

Oh yeah. That's fun times.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Oh wow, I didn't realize Tachyon was actually capable of that. There are just so many cards to choose from. I'll say End of Daysm because it allows everyone to start out fresh, inluding Villian and environment.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

My favorite card?  Citizen Anvil.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

Oh, gee, I wonder why.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

The Tachyon card in question is Lightspeed Barrage and it is super awesome.  In fact, Tachyon currently holds the record for "most damage in a single turn" of any hero in the game; Christopher once had HUD Google and Pushing The Limits in play, allowing him to play all 3 Lightspeed Barrages in a single turn.  He also had his entire deck in his Trash, and an Obsidian Field was in play.  72 damage.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

I think the only way to top that would be with Legacy and Ra's damage buffs.

evandan457

I was playing with two friends against Voss, and the only thing that saved us was Bunker's Turret Mode. That, combined with Flak Cannon and Ra's card which powers up every attack by 1, was the only thing that saved us. Lightspeed Barrage may be cool and all, but my hat goes off to Turret Mode. Mainly because I had an opportunity to use Lightspeed Barrage against Baron Blade, but I had to discard. I was thoroughly disappointed.

I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Tamar

OT: evandan457, your sig just made me laugh inappropriately at work :P Good job!

I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself.
I take the words. I scatter them in time... and space.
A message to lead myself here.

awp832
Playtester

Adam wrote:

I think Bunker could theoretically top it with his omni-cannon.  If you had your entire deck under the cannon except for Omni-cannon itself, 39 x2 = 78 damage. + any damage from buffs or environments.    I've gotten it up to the mid-50s, but never past that =p  Mainly because it's nice to have some other cards in play.

Also, adding to the growing list of "best" cards, I think Sub-Zero Atmosphere deserves a mention.  The amount of damage this card can prevent is pretty incredible, and it's pretty useful against all villans, though it's especially good against Voss.

gave to the poor.
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

That actually has me curious about Sub-Zero Atmosphere.  Does this basically redefine the term "end of turn" as "start of turn"? or does it change the order to "Start of Villain Turn" -> "End of Villain Turn" -> "Play a Villain Card"?

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

awp832
Playtester

um.... huh?  I think you're making it more complicated than it is.

Remember, sequence goes: 

1.  Start of Villan Turn
2. Play a Villan card
3. End of Villan Turn

so under normal circumstances, a villan will play a card.... say it's an Attack Drone.  At the end of the villan turn, the attack drone deals his damage.  But under Sub-Zero Atmosphere, the start of the villan turn has already passed, so the Drone doesn't get to attack immidiately.  Therefore the heroes have  a chance to kill it before it deals any damage, or otherwise prepare.

gave to the poor.
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Yeah, and that's not the question I was asking.  I know that the end of turn actions occur prior to play a villain card with Sub-Zero Atmosphere, I was more curious about how start of turn and end of turn actions relate to each other under these conditions.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

I guess I'm a little confused. Could you give an example of the situation in question?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

TheJayMann, I follow you entirely.  The answer is that, yes, with Sub-Zero Atmosphere in play, there essentially is no "End of Turn" phase anymore, and it is just lumped in with the "Start of Turn" phase.  At least, for Villain cards.  All of the usual rules about what order cards act in and such apply normally, other than the fact that now all "_____ of Turn" cards essentially now say "Start of Turn".  Does that make sense?

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hedge

Adam wrote:

There is a way to do it with Absolute zero and the card that makes all damage Fire Damage.

awp832
Playtester

hm... really?  Allright, lets hear it....

gave to the poor.
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,

Hedge

awp832 wrote:
hm... really?  Allright, lets hear it....

I would if I knew the names of the cards and their text, but Unfortunately My Friend owns the game. The Simple point is that as long as the damage done to Absolute Zero in a single strike from another Hero is not greater that his HPs he will, on his turn, do that same amount of damage plus any Modifiers which wll almost certainly mean he will do more damage than any other Hero as long as they don't deal out more than 28 points of damage in a single effect.

It would be nice if there was a text spoiler linked to the Forum.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

You're saying 28 - the other cards mentioned are 72 and 78 damage in a single strike.

Hedge

Adam wrote:
You're saying 28 - the other cards mentioned are 72 and 78 damage in a single strike.

Tachyon did three strikes at 24 Damage. You could hit Absolute Zero with 5 strikes at 24 damage. When it is his turn he will inflict 120 damage. The 28 is not a limitation on what damage he will inflict but on the damage he can take at one time. if Absolute Zero took 29 Damage from one strike he dies.

This whole thing relies on the Hero cards not excluding other heroes as targets. Since I do not have access to the cards or played those paticular characters I can not say for certain that they would be able to target AZ.

It is really long and convoluted interaction of cards, But if all the other heros targeted AZ with thier attacks he could get off something in the several hundreds of damage in a single turn if not close to 1000.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

Ah, I see what you mean. A target is anything with hit points, so you can target other heroes if you see the need to. The only thing that prevents what you're saying from working is that if you're using Imbued Fire, it converts ALL damage to fire damage, including the damage Absolute Zero deals to himself. As such, he can't deal himself cold damage, so he can't heal. If you manage to do fire damage to him outside of Imbued Fire, he can heal that back, but there's no way to match that level of damage output with him.

Hedge

Adam wrote:
Ah, I see what you mean. A target is anything with hit points, so you can target other heroes if you see the need to. The only thing that prevents what you're saying from working is that if you're using Imbued Fire, it converts ALL damage to fire damage, including the damage Absolute Zero deals to himself. As such, he can't deal himself cold damage, so he can't heal. If you manage to do fire damage to him outside of Imbued Fire, he can heal that back, but there's no way to match that level of damage output with him.

I was so Close. I still think there is a way with Ra and AZ, If Ra can do more, but not over the 28 limitation per strike, than Tachyon. Then AZ can do more than Ra if Ra were to inflict the damage on AZ instead of the Villian.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

That's how I typically play with Ra and Absolute Zero together, especially if I have both Isothermic Transducer and Coolant Blast both in play, as without any damage modifiers, this multiplies the damage two fold.

And, yes, Chris, that answers my question.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Hedge, I don't believe that it would work out, as any sort of damage boosting will probably just kill Absolute Zero before he can turn it around to cold damage, BUT . . . I greatly look forward to being proven wrong.  So, show us your skills!  Put these techniques together and prove me wrong!  I might even start keeping an official list of People Who Have Proven Christopher Wrong On The Forums.

*sinister grin*

- Ralph Waldo Emerson