The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Beating OblivAeon for Dummies (like me)

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
rickjonzz
rickjonzz's picture
Beating OblivAeon for Dummies (like me)

So, you're a middling player like me. Let the app pick a random hero/villain/environment combo and you tend to win 8/10 times. Switch to Villains of the Multiverse Mode and you're not as great but if you get to pick the heroes and villains, you probably win 7/10 times. 

And then that Big Reality Smashing Jerk comes and you play for 2 weeks, checking the boards for advice and still, in that final couple of rounds, two environments fall in rapid succession and the Multiverse dies. AGAIN. 

So here's the little bits I've learned, and maybe if enough of us put our heads together, we'll finally win. 

SECTION 1 - Choose And Perish

Heroes: Start off with Xtreme Fanatic and Young Legacy. Fanatic's Incap Ability to throw every bit of damage at a single target (apparently across Zones but it didn't work once for me and I'm not sure if that's a bug or I missed something somewhere). Young Legacy's Incap Ability is a damage multiplier and you need all you can get.  

Environments: Are there environments that make it easier on the heroes? I've had a lot of bad luck with the Temple of Zhu Long so if that shows up in my random draw.

Shields:

I'm led to believe that The Primary Objective is the easiest one to beat. You're already wanting as many mission rewards as you can, and if you manage to get Chekov's Hairdryer or T-Rex Bot then you can clear that shield pretty easily. I originally would play GI Bunker early so I could Bunker Buster and get the shield down faster, but now I wait until Voss shows up. 

I initially had pretty good luck with the Effusion of Pain. You put everyone in a zone and hope that the Big Jerk stays put to flip the shield. Then you split the party and the shield drops. But after a few rounds of playing "chase the Singular Entity" back and forth (which leaves one environment undefended for multiple rounds) and I got sick of that strategy. 

Scions: I initially would sort them by difficulty, but then I realized that meant that Summon Scion draws the bottom of the Scion Deck. I guess the best strategy is to put the Difficulty 1 Scions at the top, the Difficulty 2 Scions at the bottom and the Difficulty 3 in the middle. Thoughts? 

SECTION 2 - So Now The Shield's Down

Okay, so here's where I probably start getting in the weeds. I tend to split the team over the 2 environments, in a 3/2 split, unless I'm trying to get the Ultra-Knight or there are enough Devestation Tokens piled up that I need to evac the heroes. 

In the meantime, I'm splitting my time between: getting rid of Aeon Locues, Locuses of Power, griding down Oblivaeon's HP, and getting more rewards.  What happens instead is that Voss or the Countdown Timer flips The Big Jerk to his final form and then the endgame is usually 2 turns of The Big Jerk stomping me flat. 

SECTION 3 - ENDGAME 

Now, if I've done it right, I've got a good final 5 spread. Expatriette with the Infinity Cannon, Idealist with the Mecha-Knight Strike. Somebody's got the T-Rex bot. Someone's got the Apex of Humanity. Hopefully I've got Lucky Break and Chronoist. I've got some verison of Legacy out to boost damge. I've got some version of Wraith to mitigate damage and do a little deck control. I've got either Haka or Tachyon out and trying to get Ground Pound or Ultrasonic Strike out. I haven't tried the Incap Tempest + Heroic Interception combo, but that sounds good. 

But here's what happens instead: That Big Jerk tears through reality or causes global devestaton. Now sometimes that works in my favor so I can get one of those optimal pairings for the endgame. But usually it means that all those lovely rewards are back under the deck and the only way to get them back out is at the Pre-Start-Of-Turn and other than Stuntman, I'm not aware of ways to get more of those. (Sure, I can usually find someone with an Incap ability to Play a Card, but that doesn't help get the card back.) 

Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

I would mention a few things

One is that scions are always played from the bottom of the deck, the order you put them in on the scion ordering screen will always be the order they come out save for the one the shield automatically summons.

Bunker's incap ability is put a card from a hero's trash into their hand, so it doesn't let you get back rewards from a defeated hero any faster but it -does- let you get destroyed rewards you've alread claimed back.

As for environments, Magmaria and Maeryian Refuge are the two easiest I have found.

Remember, don't turn that frown upside down! Turn it into Eldritch Power to summon our Dark Master to Spite a world that has wronged you.

Griff's Dad

There's another thread on strategies I started. I'm winning pretty regularly now with a stacked start.

I always put the hardest scions to come out last. Most games that I've won, I've never seen Voss or Progeny.

I find Tempest's incap more valuable than Xtreme Prime Warden's, but why not use them both?

The other absolute key is to anticipate his environmental destruction and have damage prevention up. Tempest's "immune to one type of damage" can be set to Infernal to stop the 20 from hitting. Hypersonic Assault or a combination of Legacy's Heroic Interception and someone protecting Legacy (the Void Guard Writhe variant works well for this. So then he destroys the environment, but your heroes survive the resulting damage.