The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Beard Haka

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities
Beard Haka

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

So is the discard of a "Haka" card manditory in his power, or is it optional if you have one of those cards?

You're free to do whatever you want to.

UXM266
UXM266's picture

EDIT: REMOVED reply. It didn't fit.

I orignally posted a resposne here, but after reading it again the wording seems to be off. I don't know exactly how to deal with it. 

TheSoundOfTrees

Mandatory, it seems : it is not "you may discard". But if you do not have an Haka card, nothing happens.

Did he build Con, the robot that helped Chrono Ranger ?

Haka is really my favorite Sentinel - and this version of the character makes me an even bigger fan.

Any view of things that is not strange is false - Neil Gaiman

boxwood
Playtester

I'm curious about the other human in the story, although I have strong leanings that it is Chronoranger.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Yeah, that's what I thought about the power. I can see it helping. It'll help if you've got more than one "Haka of" card, but it's certainly not a power you'd want to use if you're building up for a particular "Haka of" card that is the only one in your hand.

TheSoundOfTrees

evandan55, UXM266, this is how I understand the power : you first draw a card. Then, if you have a "haka" in your hand, you must discard it, and then draw two card, else you do nothing.

Edit : more clarity in my previous post wasn't needed :)

UXM266
UXM266's picture

TheSoundOfTrees wrote:

evandan55, UXM266, this is how I understand the power : you first draw a card. Then, if you have a "haka" in your hand, you must discard it, and then draw two card, else you do nothing.

That's what i thought, but it seemed a l;ittle too powerful. potential 3 draw power. 

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

TheSoundOfTrees wrote:

Agreed.

TheSoundOfTrees

Potential draw 3, but you discarded one card in the process, so in fact have only two more cards. It's a good power, very useful for him now that he can't deal damage until he has a weapon out.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Hmm, I interpreted his power as that first you draw a card. Then, if you want to, you can discard a "Haka" card and then draw two more cards. Because it says "If you do..." at the beginning of the last sentence, implying that you can choose not to discard a "Haka" card. You might not even have one in-hand, so surely, in that case, that part of the power wouldn't come into effect.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

The text on the card says:

"Draw 1 card. Discard 1 card with 'Haka' in the title.  If you do, draw 2 cards."

None of that says "may", so all parts seem mandatory.  So, you draw 1 card.  You must then discard a Haka card.  If you don't have one, you can't discard it, obviously.  The last part, the "if you do" part, means that if you had a Haka card, which you then must have discarded, you must draw 2 more cards.  It's all pretty linear.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

UXM266
UXM266's picture

It makes sense character wise that he doesn't discard a card (he keeps all his knowledge). But, for balance wise, it would be nice to have him discard a card afterwrads. And if it was a "Haka" card then draw 2.

LCinn
LCinn's picture

HAKA! YESSSSS! AND IT'S SCHOLAR HAKA! I THINK I'M IN LOVE <3

UXM266
UXM266's picture

LCinn wrote:

Your post made me laugh! Simply because I imagine your dinosaur saying "Rawr!" being the one in love!

UXM266
UXM266's picture

LCinn wrote:

Your post made me laugh! Simply because I imagine your dinosaur saying "Rawr!" being the one in love!

Zalrus9
Zalrus9's picture

I also like how he's reading T.S Eliot, whose works include Wasteland. Get it? Because.... he's in a wasteland.... or something. 

I do like the card. I'm noticing a pattern with promo heros and drawing cards.... or replacing damage-dealing powers with card draw. But still, it's good. Might want to try it some time. 

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg

lugaru
lugaru's picture

Very very happy with that!

Flex Apollo

I've been begging for a Haka promo, so as soon as I saw it this morning I knew it was time to pull the trigger and pledge. I love the backstory and connection to Chrono-Ranger and I can't wait to play out their time-travelling, monster-hunting adventures together.

Zalrus9
Zalrus9's picture

I tried him out for a couple of plays. It's very suprising how diffrent he is. I actually went through his entire deck in one game. However, when his equipment gets destroyed, then his damage potential gets destroyed. I guess Ten Thousand years reading books can give you such a crick in the neck.

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, you know...phenomenal cosmic knowledge...itty-bitty weapon space ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I'm still interested in the monster-ruled earth he's in. That's a whole new world. A new frightening point of view.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I want the distant wasteland future to be a environment as well, just imagine all the street rats that you could take on. It may be awhile though since I doubt Vengeance will have it be the environment, since thematically it doesn't fit.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

You broke the chain of Aladdin references!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

What are you talking about man, I totally made one... Ignore that the post was edited, because I think Jafar may have done it.

Zalrus9
Zalrus9's picture

Ronway wrote:

I want the distant wasteland future to be a environment as well, just imagine all the street rats that you could take on. It may be awhile though since I doubt Vengeance will have it be the environment, since thematically it doesn't fit.

If you hurry now and get the kickstarter to over 175,000, then those cats at >games might just grant you that wish. Or something.

David Cronenberg

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Zalrus9 wrote:

Ronway wrote:

If you hurry now and get the kickstarter to over 175,000, then those cats at >games might just grant you that wish. Or something.

Agreed, Zalrus9, though I fear you're preaching to the choir if you're trying to convince Ronway to back the Kickstarter. I think Ronway may actually be the FIRST fan of Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel