The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Battle Zone Clarification

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
DoobleGem
Battle Zone Clarification

A-hey there! Firstly, just want to say I'm super-duper excited to play Oblivaeon! Done a few practise runs with some of the new Heroes and Environments first, but today my friends and myself are planning on taking on the big man himself!

Hooowever there is one thing I'm wanting to check first, to make sure I'm getting things right. At their core, the Battle Zones seem quite simple - characters and cards from one Battle Zone can't interact with characters and cards from another, unless explicitally stated. Got it!

Wwwhat I'm less ure about is how cards which attach to other targets or play areas work. A few examples come to mind, such as Captain Cosmic. If he gives a character in his zone Cosmic Weapon, if he leaves to go to another Battle Zone, does his Cosmic Weapon still work? Or because it's in his ally's play area, does Cosmic Weapon count as being in one Battle Zone and still work, whilst Captain Cosmic himself is in another?

Then you have cases of cards you play on non-allies. For example, if Mainstay got a Scion in a Headlock, then left the Battle Zone, is he still Headlocking that Scion but like... with the world's stretchiest arms? Or does that card essentially become blank, until Mainstay returns to the Battle Zone, at which point he springs straight back into Headlocking that card?

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

It depends on the wording of the individual cards.

The Cosmic Weapon will work for the hero who has it because it's the weapon itself that gives the power. Destructive Response however would not "see" the Construct's destruction if Cap was in the other battle zone (even though it would end up in Cap's trash when destroyed).

Similarly Chrono-Ranger's By Any Means would increase damage dealt to the target no matter where Chrono-Ranger was, but The Ultimate Target would try to trigger the extra power but if Jim isn't in the the same battlezone then it wont "find" him.

I don't have my copies yet but doesn't Headlock have a clause on it about not being able to redirect damage destroying it?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Matchstickman wrote:

I don't have my copies yet but doesn't Headlock have a clause on it about not being able to redirect damage destroying it?

No, that clause was dropped.   Only Mano a Mano cares if the target is still in play. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

DoobleGem

Okay, I think I got it!

But wait, does that mean then that with Headlock you could Headlock something to make all damage to it irreducible, but then leave the Battle Zone so Mainstay isn't there to redirect to? The card itself causes the effect as opposed to Mainstay himself, and would stay behind, so the first portion would still be valid, but since Mainstay's not there to redirect to the latter part is invalid?

Mainstay's Cross-Country Headlock sounds like it could be very useful.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah sounds about right.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

kalasu

Would Visionary's Wrest the Mind work similarly, allowing her to redirect a target's damage without damaging herself?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

If she isn’t in the same Battlezone as the target it’s attached to it shouldn’t trigger. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31