The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Awesome story challenge with a Newbie

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Awesome story challenge with a Newbie

Taught the game to my friend, Ian, today. He's an experienced gamer, so our four-hero game against Blade in Inula Primalis was a cakewalk.

Afterwards, he seemd a bit lukewarm on the game -- that it was too easy, so we discussed doing a harder scenario and ended up using the same four heroes (Legacy, Ra, The Wraith, and Fanatic) versus Voss on Mars. In advanced mode.

It was a slugfest. Ian made great use of Chastise -- keeping The Wraith alive while she used the Infrared Eyepiece to control what came out. A late Forced Deployment pulled out about a dozen minions, but very careful teamwork kept all of the heroes alive (albeit with a combined HP total of 7 amongst the four of them) and then a properly buffed Holy Nova cleared the board. The team triumphed in the next round. I don't recall it's name, but we got the story challenge where all the heroes were alive, but under 5 HP. (Down to the wire?)

The best part? The game went on long enough that we were running out of time and trying to hurry through the later rounds. With a dozen villain cards in play, I was trying to work through the best way to deal with the two Guards in order to do the most damage to Voss. Ian then says, 'Trust me, Fanatic has this and will take out every minion, focus on other things'. This from someone who was playing his second game ever. With no time to waste, I took the leap of faith ... and that's when Fanatic saved the day with Holy Nova.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

I happen to know an Ian as well, wonder if it's the same guy. Does he go the the Gamer's Guild? The Ian I know also goes by the name zot.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

@Koga -- Couldn't tell you if he goes by zot or if he goes to Gamer's Guild. Is that in or near San Diego?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Didn't know you were in San Diego, must be a different Ian then.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe