The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Argent Adept feedback

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities
Argent Adept feedback

It pains me to admit it, but the Argent Adept leaves me a bit cold.  In the spirit of trying to provide useful feedback to the design team, here are some reasons why.

1) The name

This guy is supposed to be the latest in a line of musical protectors of order as long as human history itself.  Does the name convey that in any way?  No.  "Argent" means "silvery" and "Adept" means he's pretty good at what he does.  It's about as generic a name as you could give a hero.

2) The costume

I think the costume looks pretty great, for a generic superhero.  The white and black, offset with the orange hair is a great look, but it's generic.  Shouldn't the latest in a line of musical protectors of order as long as human history itself be a little more Doctor Strange and a little less Superman?  Sure, there's the musical bars on the gloves, but musical bars are a modern musical invention that originated with European classical music.  Is this guy an ancient protector of order, or is he the Music Meister?

3) The backstory

It's a little weak, is alls I'm saying.  Encountering a powerful artifact and suddenly discovering you're a cosmic protector is pretty Green Lantern.  I would have thought that the nemesis of the ancient Earth Mother of Chaos would have been something a little more epic than a bartender.  It might be a little difficult to get into playing a hero who's rallying cry could literally be, "Yesterday I had no idea who you were, but today we're mortal enemies!" ;)

Like I said, it almost literally physically pains me to type this out, but it's true feedback so I think I should post it.  If it were me, I'd take another pass at this hero, come up with a more epic name, change his costume to look less generic, and do a little more work on tying the hero and nemesis together.  Sorry.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

foxtrot2620
Playtester

I like the costume (except the cape, I don't like capes. Didn't anyone watch Incredibles?).

I like the back story (I'm a green lantern fan).

The only thing I agree with you on is the name. Virtuoso of the Void is way cooler (even just "Virtuoso" would have been better).

That being said, I think it might be bit late to change anything without a poll on Kickstarter or something like that.

ketigid

I agree with 1) about the name, Virtuoso sounds much more epic for what he embodies. Also agree with 2), I've mentioned before the white suit and orange hair is too similar to Legacy for my taste.

awp832
Playtester

Spiff wrote:

1) The name

This guy is supposed to be the latest in a line of musical protectors of order as long as human history itself.  Does the name convey that in any way?  No.  "Argent" means "silvery" and "Adept" means he's pretty good at what he does.  It's about as generic a name as you could give a hero.

He's got a silver tounge, see?  Hence the argent bit.

"He robbed from the rich and he-
gave to the poor.
Stood up to the Man and he-
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,
the man they call "Jayne""

Beardsman
Beardsman's picture

Thanks for breaking the ice, Spiff. I thought I might be the only one that's a little disappointed in the newest hero. Don't get me wrong, I'm profoundly stoked about the prospect of a music-based hero (especially, as I said in another thread, if there is some sort of drum solo card involved) BUT I'm really not digging the name.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

To address your concerns:
1) You're right about "argent," but the word "Adept" means extremely skilled or proficient, and had its roots in alchemy, stemming from a Latin word that meant "one who is skilled in the secrets of everything." The full title of his ongoing comic book is "The Argent Adept: Virtuoso of the Void" (which it will say on his card).
2) The idea of the costume is that while his cloak is closed, he's unassuming, and a solid black silhouette, then when it's magic time, his hair glows, there's silver and bright light. His costume is formed by himself and is informed by his ideas of what music is, so the previous Virtuosos would have looked very different.
3) There's quite a bit more to him than the Kickstarter bio, I assure you, and his power is not derived by an artifact. Those bios have to be grossly abbreviated, but you'll hear more about him soon.

I like this guy a lot - though I'm more than a little biased - so I hope you give him a chance to win you over.

Husemann

Adam's response has more than assured me. I'm sure he'll be great.

And I also love the idea of a musical hero. (Totally need a Dr. Horrible or Captain Hammer to be his nemesis.)

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Thanks for explaining why the things I found underwhelming are what they are, but I still find them underwhelming. ;)

I stand by my assessment that the character is more generic than I think you realize, but I certainly won't push it or keep posting a defense of my position.  I've given my feedback, and if you guys, as part of the play testing process, take a look at the things I mentioned and decide that you don't agree, then the process will still have worked like it's supposed to.  Thanks for listening.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spiff wrote:
I would have thought that the nemesis of the ancient Earth Mother of Chaos would have been something a little more epic than a bartender.

Someone hasn't read "The Name of the Wind" yet. Bartenders are way cool.

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

Vyolynce
Vyolynce's picture

Spiff wrote:
I would have thought that the nemesis of the ancient Earth Mother of Chaos would have been something a little more epic than a bartender.

Being the nemesis of the Ancient Earth Mother of Chaos doesn't pay the bills.

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

I admit that "Argent Adept" doesn't do a lot for me, and the costume isn't anything special, but I love Virtuoso of the Void, and I think his story (and what I've heard of his mechanics) are awesome.  I can't wait to see more about him.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Civi
Playtester

I like his 'box pose' (flying and powering up) more than his 'preview pose'.
But with killer ginger sideburns, what's not to love? ;)

Tegulus

I actually like the bartender angle. It really doesn't feel like the typical hero "day job".

lugaru
lugaru's picture

I'm digging it so far, cant wait to see the deck though.

foxtrot2620
Playtester

lugaru wrote:
I'm digging it so far, cant wait to see the deck though.

You're in for a real treat.

Smilinbrax
Playtester

I have to say I agree with the OP, very underwhelming and sort of lame in a 70's/ early 80's kind of way. That may be what you are going for, but it seems like there a so many better archetypes. Please, Please don't have him doing a Guitar solo and shooting bad guys with musical notes. I can't handle that kind of cheesey 80's. On the plus side, there are enough characters that I don't have to play him if I don't like his style.

As for his name, alliteration often sounds More informal or humorous. The Wraith sounds menacing. The argent adept sounds hammy.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I doubt we'll get things as cheesy as a guitar. I image he'll be packing some instruments as equipment cards, and they'll probably be standard simple instruments. The three that come to mind would be a drum, harp, or flute. I doubt that Chinese bell will actually come into play.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

(How to say something without saying to much....)

The Argent Adept is not as "cheesy" as some think he may be.  No, no blasting enemies with intangible objects like music notes or sound waves.  He is actually a great character.  So great that in testing it has been decided he needs to be toned down as not to be overpowering.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

TheJayMann wrote:
(How to say something without saying to much....)

The Argent Adept is not as "cheesy" as some think he may be.  No, no blasting enemies with intangible objects like music notes or sound waves.  He is actually a great character.  So great that in testing it has been decided he needs to be toned down as not to be overpowering.

Whoa, really? He's that strong? I guess I'll be finding out in a few days.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

Can't wait to see him,  only 7 days left.

I kinda hope one of his pieces of equipment is a magical Guitar. 

flamethrower49
Playtester

You'll never make people happy, I tell you.  He better not have a guitar solo, I hope he has a guitar.  Fuss fuss fuss.  :)

Love the character.  There's a very good chance he'll be my favorite to play.  However, I'll have to agree with disliking the name.  You can't shorten it.  "The Adept?"  "Adept?"  "Argie?"  Calling him "The Argent Adept" does not roll off the tongue.  Everybody else is catchy. 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

He really is awesome, just a total blast to play - if you enjoy complex mechanics. :)

I've been calling him "the Adept", although that may evolve as we use him more.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I haven't had the chance to play him, but I have printed his new version with oversized character card, ready to cut it tonight.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

lugaru
lugaru's picture

I'm excited about Adept... I like the concept of a hero like that. My own character for City of Heroes, Champions Online and DC Universe Online is an 80's rocker named "The Vocalist" which is similar to Marvel's Banshee. I might print up an "alternate hero" card once the expansion comes out with a screenshot from one of those games. I'm guessing Adept is something closer to a Dr. Strange with music themes, but still it would be cool.

msbq
msbq's picture

I really like the idea of this new character. His whole backstory and everything get me really excited to see what's in his deck.

"One for Wrath... and one for Ruin."

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

flamethrower49 wrote:
Love the character.  There's a very good chance he'll be my favorite to play.  However, I'll have to agree with disliking the name.  You can't shorten it.  "The Adept?"  "Adept?"  "Argie?"  Calling him "The Argent Adept" does not roll off the tongue.  Everybody else is catchy.

I give pet names to most of the characters around the table. Legassy, Fanny Pack, Rat, Ra's Al Ghul or Ray, Tacky, Abs, Bunky...I think Argie will fit right in place around here. Or, maybe ARRRRchie!

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!

Alex
Alex's picture
Playtester

So if the Virtuoso is a former bartender, does that mean he sings tavern songs? :-D

I make games! Here's one of them! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/626169

BoardGameGeek interviewed me about my contribution to Shattered Timelines, Kismet! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/17671/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shat...

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Honestly, Double A always reminded me of The Doctor from The Authority, only with WAY less screws loose!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_%28Wildstorm%29#Jeroen_Thornedike

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

The_Densetsu
Playtester

I call him AA (Aeh Aeh.), because his name is derptastic. Agent Adept? Argent Adept? Agent Ardept? Adent Adept? Argent Arept? Arrrrrrrgh!

"Agent Adept" rolls off my tongue easier than Argent Adept anyway.