The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Anyone know German?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Anyone know German?

http://www.spielama.de/?p=5764

(Auto translated by Chrome)

In Sentinels of the Multiverse is a cooperative game that you can slip into the shoes of heroes or leggings. Alongside her Make your way to dangerous places, such as the ruins of Atlantis, or even on the moon station Wagner and tried to fight the most dangerous of all villains: Baron Blade / Citizen Dawn / Omnitron / Grand Warlord Voss! Please what? Your very beautiful - the adventure is following her, what her ultimate boss chooses remains entirely up to you and your preferences ...

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I can speak a little German. From what I can tell it seems mostly legit. I can't completely translate the last part, but it's not about a beautiful woman. Ihr in this context probably means your or their and not her. It's not a beautiful adventure. I think that sentence is about having the adventure described or describing your own adventure.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

TheSoundOfTrees

I don't speak German very well, but the last sentence says that the choice of what kind of adventure will happen, what kind of boss you'll fight, etc, is yours.

Auto translation is a tool of the gods of Chaos.

Any view of things that is not strange is false - Neil Gaiman

Garou
Garou's picture
Playtester

As a native German speaker, allow me to chip in:
Sentinels of the Multiverse is a cooperative game that puts you in the shoes (or leggings ) of heroes. Side by side you journey to dangerous places, like the Ruins of Atlantis or even Wagner Moon (sic) Base and try to fight the most dangerous of villains: Baron Blade/Citizen Dawn/Omnitron/Grand Warlord Voss! Now, what?! (note: this doesn't make that much sense in German, either) As you see - which adventure you woll face and which ultimate end boss you chose is all up to you and your preferences...

Author: Badell, Bender, Rebottaro - Publisher: Greater than Games - Published: 2012 - Genre: card game - Number of players: 2 to 5 - Minimum age: 13 - Length: 3/6 - Seriousness: 2/6 - Complexity: 4/6 - Influence: 4/6 (note: I suppose this tries to measure the degree of influence the players have on the game) - Interaction: 4/6 

The posters in the comments were indeed interested in whether a German localization was planned. The rest of the discussion focussed on the differences in difficulty with different numbers of players and mentioned the advanced mode as a method of ramping up difficulty, als well as the game usually being on the harder side in any case.

Edit: I can't access the video right now, but if you all are interested, I could do a summary of it, later.

IKerensky

I dont speak German, but I speak French, does that count ?

(And Yes I am french, so I am entitled to do this joke :p).

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Thanks, Garou. I'm curious how different people respond to Sentinels. Is there a difference amongst players from different places? If there's anything in the video that suggests that, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

IKerensky

Here in France the game is well received, even if distribution isn't that great. I made demo in several cards shop and the players were all enthousiastic, except for a minor point... language. Not a lot of words on the cards but still for younger player it was sometimes hard.

tuleras

From what I've seen in the video, theres not very much difference on how they rate the game, compared to US reviewers (like Tom Vasel for example). Not sure if that answers your question though.

The only "downside" that has been mentioned by viewers on the Spielama site is, that it is only available in english so far.

As a sidenote, there is a walkthrough video available for a 4 Hero game, published on youtube by a German guy (HoloDoc42), in english. So it definitely has its fanbase over here as well.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I find it really exciting that the game is played around the world, and it's great to see people on the forums from lots of different places.

I know language can be a huge barrier, so hats off  (oh, the irony to use an idiom in this context) to those of you who didn't grow up with English as their first language.

IKerensky

arenson9 wrote:

, so hats off  (oh, the irony to use an idiom in this context) 

Well, especially ironical as this one idiom is the same in French at last ("Chapeau!" or "Chapeau bas!").

Garou
Garou's picture
Playtester

I don't really think there's much difference in how the game is received, at least not in Europe. SotM is by its subject matter a game that appears mostly to geeks, and from my experience, geeks in general have similar tastes all over the world (okay, except maybe in Japan). I think this also helps when it comes to the language barrier, as many geek-centered activities (especially over the internet) do encourage a working understanding of English.

While there is, as far as I can judge, a notable difference in gaming culture in Europe and the US, I think this mostly affects the "casual" and family gaming market.

The video review on SpieLama was very positive (with some interesting quirks - I don't think the nemesis rule would be the first thing I'd explain in a video) and generally gave a good overview over the game play, the thematic appeal and the difficulty and scaling.

Wendell

I live in Berlin, but I am Spanish. I was finally able to buy (online) SotM some weeks ago, and I brought it home for Christmas. I wanted to show it mainly to my brother, because I thought the rest of my family was not going to be interested in it (I thought it looked to geeky for them). But I was completely wrong: most of my family loved it, and we have played lots of five-player games! Even if the language was a huge problem for some of them, they kept willing to play more and more, and try new heroes! 

Now I am trying to buy Rook City and Infernal Relics, but not a lot of luck so far... This game can be very hard to find! Well, maybe it's me, since I am not used to buying games online... (after asking in 5 local shops, I gave up trying to find it offline) I have found a page in spain where I can buy Infernal Relics, and a web in Germany where I can buy Rook City. If I can't find something better I will definitely buy them there, even though I'm going to spend more money in the shipping costs than in the games...

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The stores where you looked for the expansions but could not find them -- might they be willing to order the expansions for you?

>G announced in another thread that they just got a big shipment of games from China and are in the process of fulfilling orders, including backorders to distributors, so retail stores that have been unable to get the game should be able to do so in a few weeks. That doesn't explain why a stored wouldn't have Rook City, though, as I believe that Rook City wasn't ever out of stock.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Our store availability in Europe is not nearly as good as it is in the US, though that is slowly changing. One of the orders that just went out was a large pallet filled with games and ultimately destined for a distributor in Denmark called Bergsala Enigma, and another smaller shipment went to a distributor in Koln, Germany called Brave New World. It might be possible for your local store to get copies of the game from one or the other of those distributors if you ask!

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I just checked on Games Lore and they have the Enhanced Edition in stock, but are currently out of both expansions. Maybe you could ask them whether they've got any more on the way?

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Wendell

Hey!

Thank you arenson9, Paul and Ameena for the interest. I have tried to contact the online shop where I bought the core game, to ask them if they plan to get more copies of the expansions, or wheter it is possible to order them. If it is not possible, I will try with some local stores or with Games Lore, thank you for all your suggestions!

I'll let you know when I solve this! :)

Alex
Alex's picture
Playtester

That's another nice thing 'bout cooperaative games: If not everyone speaks the language, they can share what's in their hand with a player who does.

I make games! Here's one of them! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/626169

BoardGameGeek interviewed me about my contribution to Shattered Timelines, Kismet! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/17671/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shat...

Wendell

Hey!
Yesterday I was ble to order both expansions online. The web where I bought the core game finally have stock again.  Now I can sto checking that site like a mad man, and start checking my post. Like a man mad. 

So happy.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Wendell wrote:

Hey!Yesterday I was ble to order both expansions online. The web where I bought the core game finally have stock again.  Now I can sto checking that site like a mad man, and start checking my post. Like a man mad. So happy.

And eventually join in for online play ... like a madman?

flamethrower49
Playtester

Like a boss.

Wendell

arenson9 wrote:
  And eventually join in for online play ... like a madman?  
    That would be very nice. I will have a look to that part of the forum. Not today, because I am falling sleep...