The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Anyone ending the game in an awesome, yet destructive way?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities
Anyone ending the game in an awesome, yet destructive way?

I'm sure we all had this happen to us at least once The villain is down to low HP, and so are your heroes. One wrong move could end it all. The hero that would have done the killing blow suddenly collapsed. What next? Well, here's my story.

Villain: AMbuscade

Hero order: Wraith, Nightmist, Argent Adept, The Sentinels

Environment: Insula Primalis

I was playing the Sentinels and I went last. Things started going quite well to begin with. Though wraith didn't have her projectiles out, we still had Nightmist and The Sentinels hitting away against the French hunter. AA got such a great opening hand too. Things started to get scary tough. We pulled two Obsidian Fields. Though we were worried at first, we took advantage of this. Luckily, we thought we one Wraith had her equipment barrage and next turn would kill Ambuscade easily. Then Ambuscade went, and with a quick fire of his gun he hit Nightmist, and played a next card... a trap killing Wraith and the Idealist and nearly killing all of us. Suddenly, I had a plan. I promised my team that it would be glorious! They let me go along with it without a fuss, despite not knowing my diabolical scheme. Wraith's last breath let me play a card, so I put down my Karate Robot. Writhe dealt damage to everything.... including the sonic mine that had been laid out (which was my plan all along). 4 damage went flying out killing everything, including Writhe except I had [EDITED: Caliginous Form on the table]. Everything went down. Villains, allies, friends.... but we won. Writhe was alone now. Nothing else to face except the darkness and a toothy T-Rex eyeing him hungrily.

My friends didn't mind, and in fact thought it was better that way. Sure we could have won with most of us alive and well, but how often do you have the opportunity to be the last one left with 1 HP.

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Amnachaidh
Playtester

https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/heroes-0-silver-gulch-1883-3164

I once blew myself up good enought to post it :)

Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny!.... 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" Fred Burkle

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

See 25% of games with Ronway.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Just had a game yesterday against advanced Plague Rat and quite soon in the game both Explosive Wagons are out. On his last play Plague Rat put out a damage reduction and killed Fanatic and put Haka in a more than critical condition he just wont survive the start of his turn as his infection will kill him. All in all I used setback to take the damage from Haka's infection incapacitating myself and leaving only the big man up and well he was going out with a big bang: he rampaged for 8 damage on everything and the wagon's explosion killed the rat before Haka ending the game in victory even though nothing would have been left standing.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Second time playing Iron Legacy (this time on Wagner Mars Base)--defeat was inevitable, so we stalled until the countdown hit zero and blew us all up. Couldn't let him have the satisfaction of winning. Seemed like a poetic ending, sacrificing ourselves to kill the villain.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Edwin

Silver Gulch and Rook City are the two environments that seem made for this sort of ending.  I keep hoping that I'll manage to get my "dissolve in the toxic sludge and then stay alive forever at like 2 HP while watching the villain melt too" strategy is going to work.  And having 1 damage on an explosive wagon so the other one will blow it up, dealing a total of 14 damage to anything without armor, is always magnificent.  I have yet to live that dream either, at least in any game where it would have made the difference.

Oh, but I did have a pretty hilarious ending to my first fight against Cosmic Omnitron last week.  Having seen that he's more dangerous as a Dropship, when he got out a wimpy Interpolation Beam, I decided to leave him in Exterminator form most of the battle, so I couldn't do more than 6 damage a round, and he was pretty nearly untouched.  This changed rapidly once Unity had out nearly every Bot in her deck (including Champion Bot) and a pair of Volatile Parts; Technological Singularity would have been game over (since this was five tech-themed heroes), but Wraith successfully thwarted this with her IREP, and by the end of the game, Bunker was intentionally shooting the Raptor Bots with his Grenades, so they'd explode spectacularly after biting Omnitron for 10 damage (and 8 the previous round), after which three Rats chewed on Cryo Bot and made him spout 2-damage gouts of cold at both them and Omnitorn before he also exploded.  Every exploding bot was worth a total of 6 damage, and there were Platform Bots and a Turret Bot in there too (those didn't explode, though Turret Bot did have to shoot one of his own allies at one point in order to avoid de-componenting Omnitron).  It was quite the robo-gorefest.

UXM266 wrote:
4 damage went flying out killing everything, including Writhe except I had fling into darkness on the table.

I presume you mean Caliginous Form, as Fling into Darkness is a one-shot.

"I'm starting to feel comic books lack realism."
"Master of Understatement: Level Up!"
--Two nearly-consecutive (in the other order) quotes from the webcomic "Grrl Power".

defeateddust
defeateddust's picture

EvanDan55 wrote:

Second time playing Iron Legacy (this time on Wagner Mars Base)--defeat was inevitable, so we stalled until the countdown hit zero and blew us all up. Couldn't let him have the satisfaction of winning. Seemed like a poetic ending, sacrificing ourselves to kill the villain.

But Iron Legacy is Imune to Enviroment damage. I think you still lost.

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

Iron Legacy is only immune to Environment damage on his first side. Once he flips, he's no longer immune.

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

defeateddust wrote:

But Iron Legacy is Imune to Enviroment damage. I think you still lost.

U wot m8? Fight me IRL, Chris.

^Second member of Team Fancy to join the forum. Greet him.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Edwin wrote:

UXM266 wrote:

4 damage went flying out killing everything, including Writhe except I had fling into darkness on the table.

I presume you mean Caliginous Form, as Fling into Darkness is a one-shot.

Yes! I meant that.... I will change it. Thanks!

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

If the self-destruct goes off, Iron Legacy isn't taking damage, he's being insta-killed, which breaks through any damage immunity you could possibly have short of being indestructible ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Wait, IL isn't Indestructible? Sheesh, maybe I'll win a game now, knowing that. :-P

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

At least, until I rule otherwise.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Flintlock
Flintlock's picture

Actually on the other end of the spectrum, we had a rather funnily anticlimatic end to a fight with our favorite punching bag, Gloomweaver. I play Nightmist often to boot. I wanted to end the game with Oblivion, but Ra was at the table with his flame shield up. When the first wave of Oblivion washed over everyone, Ra reflexively shot that small bit of fire damage to Nightmist but she redirected that to Gloomy which killed him (I wasn't paying attention to the math.) It was an oddly funny thing seeing Gloomy die halfway through Oblivion.

I like the image of Nightmist rearing up with two fistfuls of spells, slamming one into Gloomweaver, a little spark downing him from Ra and Nightmist left holding the second half of the spell awkwardly.

Aaaaaand Oblivion went off for two points of damage total. :(

Odin
Odin's picture

grysqrl wrote:

See 25% of games with Ronway.

First g+ session I went to we lost to the baron (advanced) and almost lost to aprostate. That was only my first time. So I would agree with this statement greatly.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Odin wrote:

aprostate

Teehee

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Sadly many brave souls have lost to aprostate.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Had a good one tonight.  3 player game with KNYFE, Ra, and Tempest vs Cosmic Omnitron in the Realm of Discord.  Omnitron not having a good game with few drone chains, not much equipment for Tech Singularity to get, and a Wrecking Uppercut causing one copy of Sedative Flechettes to be discarded.  Omni is down to 6 HP while the heroes all have 15 HP (due in part to Positive Energy Field).

The environment plays the cards that speeds time -- and plays a villain card at the start of the Villain turn.

Yep - an EPE rolls out and blows up the heroes.  Omni plays his second EPE, and then zaps down Tempest (who had 1 HP left) to end the game.

Edwin

I thought this game was about games the players won.  If not, then I have a great one from last night:

Five heroes vs. the Ennead, with two extra Ennies entering play (and a third one on the final turn; Shu stayed in hiding the whole time).  The Freedom Five's command center or whatver it's called puts out an Alchemical Redirection between two of scholar's turns, then the villain deck plays Sun's Fury.  H = 5 and there's an Entry Point in play for +1 damage from villains, so Sun's Fury should be 4 damage to each hero, but thanks to the Redirection, it's actually 5x4 damage to the Scholar.  He has Flesh to Iron, so it's 5x2 instead, but still, ouch.  So then Sun's Fury goes to the trash, and Set triggers to play another card - which is Mass Overheating, the card that's exactly the same as Sun's Fury except it also destroys Equipment (and we've already had some Equipment destroyed by Ancient Magicks).  Scholar takes another 10 damage and dies, and Wraith and Bunker lose all their stuff.

I've been a little bossy all game as usual, and decide I should let the players make their own decisions, so I don't say anything when they decide to focus fire on Tefnut and Set instead of Nepthys, Osiris or Isis (I did tell them to take out Nuit and then Atum first, but I figured those were the only cases where the decision is 100% obvious; killing Set is usually unwise, but it does get the heroes bonus plays, so on rare occasions it might actually pay off in their favor - and Tefnut is really awful when dead, but the player who was attacking her had been getting hit as lowest HP forever, so I didn't really figure I could argue with his logic).   So Set ends up dead in fairly short order, and meanwhile tons of damage take out Bunker and KNYFE (I'm playing the latter, and I'm the only player who doesn't walk away from the table when their character dies...it's generally agreed that playing an incapped hero isn't really remaining in the game).  This leaves just Wraith and Haka, both at single-digit HP.  Wraith has Smoke Bombs out and The Desert's Wrath blew up the Entry Point, so when Elemental Storm is played by Set at the start of the villain turn, what happens is that the 6-HP Haka takes the lightning and fire damage, but the 4-HP Wraith doesn't, and then when the cold damage hits, both of them are 4 HP and neither of them takes damage.  But then Elemental Storm goes to the trash, triggering Isis, who deals just 1 damage to the Wraith, and she can redirect it to either herself or Haka.  She chooses to redirect it to Haka, since he's less set-up than she is (and his player is obviously less-enjoying the game), so Haka drops to 3 HP.  Then the Ennead plays their normal card for the turn - it's The Grave Beckons, so Haka is just flat-out killed, while the Wraith remains 1 HP higher and is unscratched.

Several more turns wear on, with Wraith getting to take Impromptu Invention back from the trash during Bunker's turn, play it during Haka's turn, and then use one power each during KNYFE's and Scholar's turns before using two powers on her own turn (Utility Belt, natcherlly).  So she's able to deal something like 16 damage to one target and 6 damage to two others each turn, and Nepthys and Osiris go down pretty fast.  Isis is the last survivor, with only 5 HP and Stun Bolted twice.  So villain turn 10 or so begins, and Set plays Rise to Power, putting a 32-HP Geb into play, and then getting a Blast of Flame or Sun's Fury or something.  Fortunately, this is coming from the lowest HP rather than the new Geb, so the -2 to Isis's damage still applies, and with another -1, just 1 damage gets through.  Reducing the Wraith to 3 HP.

Then the Ennead plays their normal card for the turn - The Grave Beckons.

I can't quite call it a Lamest Game (a different thread), but it was certainly a lame ending.  Yet also awesomely destructive, in its way.

--Two nearly-consecutive (in the other order) quotes from the webcomic "Grrl Power".

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ooh crap, ouch. Now that's unlucky but somehow kind of epic at the same time. Did Wraith not manage to play anything decent off Set then? Actually I suppose it wouldn't matter what it was, really, since the only card that could've saved her in that situation would've been Suture Self.

I am the Wordweaver...

Yak Guardian
Yak Guardian's picture
Playtester

I just had K.N.Y.F.E.'s Flawless Execution take out Akash'Bhuta. I don't know about destructive, but it was most certainly awesome.

Yak Guardian
(aka Michael)
R.I.P. Blake Washington

Edwin

Yak Guardian wrote:

I just had K.N.Y.F.E.'s Flawless Execution take out Akash'Bhuta. I don't know about destructive, but it was most certainly awesome.

Well, that depends.  If it was just that you dealt 199 damage to her over the course of the game, and then happened to have FE in play when you dealt the final blow, so you got to save 1 HP over the normal kill, that's not very impressive.  But if it was something like Abby having out all of her Limbs and you Flawlessing each of those in a single round, causing her to deal almost lethal damage to herself and then you Executed her too, that would indeed be pretty cool.

I was surprised to find that KNYFE has a lot more depth than I expected from a Complexity 1 hero.  She'll take a bit of getting used to, but overall I'm thinking I'll like playing her a lot, at least comparable to Setback.

Yak Guardian
Yak Guardian's picture
Playtester

Edwin wrote:

Yak Guardian wrote:

Well, that depends.  If it was just that you dealt 199 damage to her over the course of the game, and then happened to have FE in play when you dealt the final blow, so you got to save 1 HP over the normal kill, that's not very impressive.  But if it was something like Abby having out all of her Limbs and you Flawlessing each of those in a single round, causing her to deal almost lethal damage to herself and then you Executed her too, that would indeed be pretty cool.I was surprised to find that KNYFE has a lot more depth than I expected from a Complexity 1 hero.  She'll take a bit of getting used to, but overall I'm thinking I'll like playing her a lot, at least comparable to Setback.

Not quite that cool, but the FE was the topper to a three round, 130+ damage, 9 limb (including 3 Mountainous Carapaces) destroying, run to finish the game.

Yak Guardian
(aka Michael)
R.I.P. Blake Washington

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Haha cool, I can imagine Knyfe standing amid a pile of broken limbs, similar to the way she's standing surrounded by corpses in Flawless Execution's art, looking all "Yeah, did I mention it's a bad idea to mess with me?" while the other heroes stand to one side and...applaud or something, I suppose :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Kingofsouls

So a few months ago my best friends little Brother and a friend from church got together and we shoed church guy SotM. He loved it and wants his own copy of the game.

Our first game was me as Team Leader Tachyon, best friend's little brother as Bunker, and church guy as Fanatic against Citizen Dawn. He let Church guy pick, and he though level 3 villian was low due to him thinking it was on a scale of 1 to 10 instead of 1 to 4. To say we died was an understatement.

So we deside to go up against my personal favorate punching bag Baron Blade at Silver Gultch, same heroes. I die early due to Pushing the Limits to much and Bunker is builidng up a huge Omni-Cannon while Fantaic is being Fanatic. Eventually, we get Blade to fip via Fantasic's Max Hp - current HP card, but Bunker and Fanatic are pretty dinged up and there is an Explosive Wagon in play. Fanatic dies quickly.

So, Blade is at 26. I see the signs, the odds are not in our favor. We deside since Bunker is going to get punched in the face we might as well shoot off the Omni-cannon and hope for the best. Bunker Omni-cannon's Blade for 25 (12 cards and the wagon boost) and knocks him down to one while Fanatic lets Bunker heal. Then the enviorment goes and....Sustain the Portal. Since anything that happens simultaniously is desided by the players and the game is over when the villain hits 0, we have the Portals damage hit Blade first and kill him, and Bunker escapes the damage.

Best game I've played.

Programming is like Life: Complicated and too many rules.