The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Any Guides or Tricks for Captain Cosmic?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Praion
Any Guides or Tricks for Captain Cosmic?

I really like Hugh but I don't think I can use him correctly. Can anyone help me out? 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

You could start by looking at the stickied topic of flamethrower49's strategy guide, which contains more than just Flamthrower49's guides now!

Here's a link to the one in that thread about Captain Cosmic.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I don't think I've ever had any set strategy with him.  I like having him first in the hero turn order so others get the most benefit out of his contructs.   An immediate play for me is Unflagging Animation and Destructive Response especially if contructs are regularly being destroyed.    The one damage from Destructive Response can be used to trigger Dynamic Siphon and Vitality Conduit.   The goal I always seem to have is keep getting out those constructs and play Construct Catacylsm or Potent Disruption when they seem more effective.   Wounding Buffer is the only construct I'll waver on putting out if I know the villain or team mates will cause a lot of friendly fire.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Praion

Matchstickman wrote:

You could start by looking at the stickied topic of flamethrower49's strategy guide, which contains more than just Flamthrower49's guides now!Here's a link to the one in that thread about Captain Cosmic.

I was actually looking for the Flamethrower Guide and came up short. Must have overlooked it. 

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Flamethrower didn't write the guide it's just linked to that main thread. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

Well, the best one I can think of is Cosmic Weapon on Mr. Fixer is really good.

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Dynamic Siphon on a set-up Adept (especially if he has out at least one copy of Rhapsody of Vigour and the means to activate it/them), then get everyone to deliberately plink it for ones and twos every turn - gives the Adept a whole load of free power uses every round and (if you have either or both Rhapsodies out) he can heal the Siphon straight back up for the next person to plink it :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

That or put the siphon on tempest while he has a cleansing downpour. It's a bit more effective because it isn't a set number, it's AoE, and it heals for more

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

But the Adept can do more than just heal - I was referring to the Rhapsodies being out so you can keep healing the Siphons back up again in between giving everyone else extra plays or draws or whatever they need, every single turn >:). But a Siphon on a healing character when the Scholar has a bunch of Liquid and Energy forms out can be pretty cool :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Trajector
Trajector's picture

We had a good Captain Cosmic moment in a game against Apostate last night:

For his turn, Apostate played Apocalypse and then did a bunch of damage, incapacitating Fanatic and Absolute Zero.

On his turn, Prime Warden Captain Cosmic had a Construct in play with 2 HP. He played another (with 4 HP) and used his base power.

Ra came next, played Scorched Earth to do 4 damage and destroy Apostate's remaining Relics.

Incapacitated Fanatic and Absolute Zero allowed power uses to leave Apostate with 5 HP exactly.

At the start of the environment turn, Apocalypse started destroying things. First came the 2 HP Construct. When that was destroyed, Prime Warden Cosmic's power allowed him to shuffle the Construct into his deck and play Potent Disruption. He destroyed the 4 HP Construct and did 5 damage to Apostate, winning the game for the heroes.

Pavane
Pavane's picture

Fanatic is a good partner for Captain Cosmic with Exorcism pinging either Dynamic Siphon or Vitality Conduit.  If CC follows next, he can use Cosmic Crest to repair the damage before the 2-HP construct is destroyed by something else, or allow another teammate to ping it too in the same round.  Since Exorcism consists of two 1-HP attacks, the hero target that the construct is assigned to will either receive +4 HP healing or be able to use two powers out of turn (depending on the construct).  This is almost always better than two 1-HP attacks on a villain target, which is often neutralised with an armour buff.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

She's also good to put Cosmic Weapon on, as either a quick substitute for a destroyed or not-yet-drawn Absolution, or to double up on the damage when she Smites the Transgressor.

Also neat? Using the two of them against Kaargra Warfang and letting Fanatic kill one of the constructs with Exorcism to grab Living Weapon. Or Final Dive-ing one to earn Death Caller.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

I find Captain Cosmic partners really well with many heroes that will come with Oblivaeon, but you'll get to discover that when those characters become available. Until then lets focus on What Captain Cosmic brings to the table that distinguishes him.

By looking at his two available character cards the first thing that comes to mind is he brings fast play or fast recovery in the form of potential fast play. More cards in play is rarely bad and very few of Captain Cosmic cards really hurt him when played.

His HP are a upper mis range 28 so resilient enough to get going.

He brings targets of four hp meaning that he can get stuff to soak lowest hp hero damage or in a bad pinch highest hp damage. 4 of his constructs have reactive triggers two of them for being damaged. The other two are a counter strike card pretty much subject to the same uses as a combat stance. This one is nice to take out low hp high threat target two wounding buffers can reactively snuff a Hired gun before the whole team takes damage. Autonomous blade works awesome with heroes that deal damage out of their turn: Guise and Fanatic come to mind. In a pinch you could use it to replace the second wounding buffer needed to kill the Hired Gun in previous scenario by playing it on the Wounding Buffer. Note that the out of turn power use that can be granted by dynamic syphon can be used to do damage triggering Autonomous Blade.

The other constructs fall more in the enhancements category:

Augmented Ally is awesome with either heroes that get too many cards with no reliable discards or powers that when used make it card neutral. Infrared Eyepiece, Mere and Truth Seeker are good examples. Less instinctive combos can also come up using both Looking Up and  Suprising fortune means a net gain of 1 card, 1 unlucky token, 2 hp and a 3 dmg hit. Even more awesome the card draw can be given away to a card starved hero. Likewise many promo Tachyons wouldn't dislike the card cycling given by research grant even if the cost makes it card neutral.

Cosmic weapon is an excellent back up power for many heroes shines a lot with Fixer but i find Unity to also like it as there are a few turns where your not putting golems in play. Sky scraper is another one that benifits when her size power isn't the best.

Energy bracer can be downright broken pile a few on a Stealth bot it become insane. It also allows different uses for cards that are more risky Haka can more freely use Enduring intecession with a few of those. Setback hurts himself less with his cards and can be more daring with cards that redirect damage to him.

Cosmic crest's immunity to energy shines a lot with Twist the Ether on the villain or simply villains with many instances of it like Infinitor. I don't use the healing power on it a lot as I tend to prefer the card acceleration granted by his main power, but that's a matter of playstyle.

I find unflagging animation a must play the damage cost isn't that high.

Hope you find at leat one helpful tip in there.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Quick point of fact -- Energy Bracer specifies that it goes on character cards. So no Stealth Bot shenanigans.

Agreed on Unflagging Animation -- the only times I've avoided it is when Legacy is on the team.

With Ra on the team, however, it's downright broken, since the self-damage isn't an if/then condition.