The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Any 3 Heroes?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Eric V
Any 3 Heroes?

Hi,

I just tried a solo game, and wanted to be "thematic" about it: Mr. Fixer, Expatriette, and the Wraith against the Chairman in Rook City.

I got pretty lucky at first: Fixer had dual crowbars, Wraith had 2(!) Impromptu Inventions, and Expat started with the shotgun and an ammo card.

It got tough in a hurry though: 2 Scum and VIllany cards were in play; the Wraith got hit by falling statuary twice, etc.

Got 3 Underbosses into the trash, though, and had the Operative down to 16 hp.  My team was hurting though, but I thought I could pull it out, even if one got incapped.

Then a prison break happened, and I got hit twice with the card wherein both the Operative and the Chairman hurt you, and that was that.  In the end, it wasn't really close.

(I still had fun!)

So...have you all seen it to be true that any 3 heroes in any environment can win?  Is it instead that some combos just don't work well?

If I added a 4th person to this team, whom should it be?  If I subbed one out?

It's my first super loss and I'm just trying to get a sense of how common this might be.

Thanks!

"Wait, what did you say your mother's name was?"
-The Wraith, Wraith vs. Legacy One-Shot

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Any three heroes against the Operative would be rough.  Rook City makes it even harder.  Mr. Fixer and Expatriette as two of the three makes it even harder on top of that.  My calculator puts this game at a 17.411% chance of winning, and that might be generous.

The usual advice applies about adding a hero, i.e. just choose one of the best ones.  Any version of Legacy is always great, as are Freedom Six/Super Scientific Tachyon.  Dark Visionary and Parse (especially Fugue State) help with those prison breaks, although so can Wraith with Infrared Eyepiece.  Visionary and Haka are especially useful against the Chairman (Brain Burn, Suggestion, and Savage Mana especially), as is Writhe from the Adamant Sentinels.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

degausser

It really depends on luck.  I mean, there are certain combos that just lose games.  I suppose under ideal circumstances, any 3 heroes in any environment could beat any villain, but there are some toughies.  Especially if you don’t have a hero that can deal with ongoings, that can hurt.  If you don’t have a hero that can deal irriducable/over 4 damage, apostate in particular can be really hard because of all his damage-reducing relics.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

degausser wrote:

It really depends on luck.  I mean, there are certain combos that just lose games.

At least this idea does swing both ways - there are some combos that just win games.

Which fraction goes which way determines a lot of the difficulty of a villain deck!

carnilius
Playtester

Trajector wrote:

degausser wrote:
It really depends on luck.  I mean, there are certain combos that just lose games.

At least this idea does swing both ways - there are some combos that just win games.

Which fraction goes which way determines a lot of the difficulty of a villain deck!

Except that with combos that "win" games that requires effort from the players.  Combos that "lose" it doesn't matter at all what the players do even with optimal playing and full knowledge of upcoming cards.