The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Ambuscade: Traps & Cloaking

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
chainsawrabbit
chainsawrabbit's picture
Ambuscade: Traps & Cloaking

Played my first skirmish last night with my wife.  She used Beacon & Ambsucade vs. Ra & Tachyon.

Holy crap, Tachyon can move.  The raw stats really don't do it justice.

Regardless, my wife came up with an interesting combo that raised a few questions.  She had Cloaking Device and Rigged Explosives in play.

On her turn, she used an action to spew trap tokens all over the map, mainly surrounding my heroes.  Good lord, there are a lot of those bloody things.

Then, in her To Be Continued... phase, Ambuscade vanished off the map.

The question is, Cloaking Device explicitly says "Ambuscade cannot take actions or activate abilities."  Because of this, can his trap tokens still trigger when he isn't on the map, since it's dependent on the target and not on anything Ambuscade has to do?  We played it that, because the tokens are already on the map and are hazard spaces, the traps are treated as a terrain feature and not a character-controlled effect.

I just wanted to double check with a playtester, or someone who's better at interpreting these things than I am.

Thanks in advance.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I believe the Traps will still trigger. Though I can't recall for 100% sure if this was ever mentioned during playtesting.

Edit: To expand on it a bit. On Page 3 of the rulebook, it defines the Ongoing symbol.

This is an Ongoing Ability. When this ability is in play, it is active. It does not require any kind of activation.

So without a doubt, I can say Traps will still trigger, because they use the Ongoing symbol, thus do not need to be activated.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I remember that change, It was a whole series about Ambuscade vanishing with his hunter drone, crashing it into someone and then re-appearing and crushing what was left of them.  I think Foote was really abusing Ambuscade.

The idea behind the timing of his leaving the map is to give him the opportunity to use his traps and attacks before he disappears (he used to disappear when it entered play, or on his surge, something like that)

I can't remember what situation led to the can't activate abilities text.

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

Jumping off this line of discusion, since Ambuscades traps are not Hazards, can he set them off by moving through them himself?  Also, could tachyon set off a bunch without risk to herself via hypersonic assault as long as she ends out of range?

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

I remember that change, It was a whole series about Ambuscade vanishing with his hunter drone, crashing it into someone and then re-appearing and crushing what was left of them.  I think Foote was really abusing Ambuscade.The idea behind the timing of his leaving the map is to give him the opportunity to use his traps and attacks before he disappears (he used to disappear when it entered play, or on his surge, something like that)I can't remember what situation led to the can't activate abilities text.

Yup that was me! (You remembered <3)

Uncloacking next to a target, Hunter Drone into them, Rocketlauncher to clean them up, and revanishing in one single turn was terrible to play against.

If Ambuscade moves through a trap he would set it off (because he is a target moving into the hex with a trap) and it could hurt his allies if they are in radius

mlangsdorf

Hypersonic Assault ignores hazards, so I don't think she sets off the traps.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

mlangsdorf wrote:

Hypersonic Assault ignores hazards, so I don't think she sets off the traps.

Traps are not hazard spaces.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

She would trigger the traps.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

And the traps would resolve at the point she triggered them.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

And if she is incapped by it she stops her movement and cannot perform any more actions.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Wraith, on the other hand, can waltz right through, with Slip Into Shadows. The first one, anyway.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:

Wraith, on the other hand, can waltz right through, with Slip Into Shadows. The first one, anyway.

Slip would only trigger if it was not a dud.  Wraith is defenseless against traps that don't do anything.

My favorite thing with Wraith is sprinting mid sprint with Slip into shadows.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:

McBehrer wrote:

Slip would only trigger if it was not a dud.  Wraith is defenseless against traps that don't do anything.

-_-

-- Trajector

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

I've one had both Wraith and Operative on same team, Operative used Hidden Blade Strike, while Wraith had Slip into Shadows. I was able to move Wraith, then sprint next to Operative, activating her hazard spaces, then slip into shadows to avoid them and move even further due to the free sprint, just enough to be within LoS of my target.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

Unfortunately for you, that was an mistake on the rules there, operatives hidden blade strike only makes hazards for enemies. It could work with ra's living pyre and blazing tornado, ab0 impaling structures, or ambusades traps

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Must have changed then, it didn't used to say enemies in playtesting, which is when I had used it. Haven't read all the cards so didn't realize it had changed.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe