The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Ambuscade Scenario?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Benhimself
Benhimself's picture
Playtester
Ambuscade Scenario?

So, okay. My friends and I were playing this one the other day, and kind of got to wondering... What's to stop the hero with the last turn from just standing in front of the train, preventing it from moving more than once space, and then next round getting up (if the attack incapacitated them) and repeating the effect? Meanwhile, the other heroes whale on the train, and yes, Ambuscade will probably get a lot of kills in in the meantime... but that won't actually get the train moving any faster. We were playing that way, and Ambuscade's player noted "I don't think there's any way for me to win this. Although I'm having fun killing you all repeatedly, definitely."

I mean, I'm trying to think of what Ambuscade could do. Rig the monorail line with explosives, and hope that's enough to kill the last person to go (who goes between ambuscade's last turn and the train moving) and that nobody else placed themselves as a backup train-blocker, or that he can kill them on his last turn of the round? I mean, it COULD work, but all you would really need is a fairly tough or mobile (or both) hero willing to take one for the team each round, and odds are good out of the rest, even if they're being incapactiated EVERY ROUND, will be able to do SOME damage to the monorail each round with even one power.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I don't know the scenario well, but if Ambuscade overkill's someone and pushes them out  of the path of the train, does that help?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Benhimself
Benhimself's picture
Playtester

Ambuscade would need to push someone far enough that, even with a move AND a sprint, they couldn't get in front of the train. And that's a tall order when most heroes have 2^ movement, and no few can get mobility with at least one power! And like I said, if two heroes playing defense, ambuscade would have to incap-overkill them BOTH to that extent.

I suspect "get all players to really low health, and rig the rail with explosives" MIGHT work, because then they're incapped on their turn. But it is only a 4 die attack. And if someone is knocked out by the train itself Ambuscade will have to kill them ENTIRELY with explosives, since they get up at the start of their turn with full health. It's a strategy I'm interested in trying but I'm wondering if A) anyone has tried it and it worked out for them or not, or B) If anyone has won as Ambuscade in any other way.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I played it that if the Train incaps the target blocking it it continues moving.  That seemed to work well.

Benhimself
Benhimself's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I bet that would help a lot. Definitely make it so you couldn't be cheesy with, say, Visionary's Decoy Projection or Unity's bots.