The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Ambuscade - Automated hunter and Traps

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
padlock
Ambuscade - Automated hunter and Traps

I'm confused about some of the rulings (according to the faq) about Ambuscade's automated hunter, and traps.

Firstly, the faq states that Ambuscade can be damaged by his automated hunter. My understanding is that since an automated hunter doesn't have hit points, it is not considered a target, and therefore any damage it does is considered to be performed by Ambuscade. Since a character cannot damage himself, I would take take that to mean that Ambuscade should not be damaged by the automated hunter. I should also point out that even though the automated hunter card contains the companion keyword, that seems to violate the definition of companions which states they should have hit points.

Similarly, I read that Ambsucade can be damaged by his own traps. I don't understand why Ambuscade's traps would be treated differently then Absolute Zero's impaling structures. In both cases, the damage is being done by a non target token (and therefore by it's owner). Why is Absolute Zero immune to his tokens, but not Ambuscade?

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Ambuscade cannot be damaged by the hunter or the traps.  In the rules it states that no character can be damaged by their own powers.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

padlock

Donner wrote:

Ambuscade cannot be damaged by the hunter or the traps.  In the rules it states that no character can be damaged by their own powers.

That's what I would have thought as well, but that directly contradicts what the faq says:

"Ambuscade will trigger his own traps if he enters a hex with a trap marker. the card says the trap makes the attack, not ambuscade, so he’s not immune to it."

I had thought that the faq also mentioned that Ambuscade can be hurt by the Autmated Hunter, but apon re-reading the faq, it's not there. I think I read that in another thread somewhere. 

In any case, both of those seem to contradict the following line in the faq:

"attacks are made by targets, i.e. things with hp, or the environment (like lava hazard spaces). in the case of things without hp which are attacking (absolute zero’s impaling structures, ra’s blazing tornado), the character who created the thing is the one attacking."

One other thing I find confusing is that the Automated Hunter has the companion keyword on it, even though it has no move, defence, or health (unless I'm missing them). This also seems to contradict the rules:

"companion cards have health, defense, and move values."

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Does the Ambuscade can hurt himself with traps have an official link with it?  Spiff is usually pretty good about that.

I do know the Ambuscade vs. his automated hunter came up in the last tournament and I was the one who reminded Christopher that the characters are immune to their own powers.  That vetoed that part of Ambuscade's suicide strategy.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

The traps trigger if Ambuscade enters the space with the traps, because they trigger off any target entering their hex.

But they are his attack, so they don't damage him.

That is how it should work.

The Automated hunter would work the same as well.

The only reason I see the Hunter has the Companion keyword is to save the text for its rules of appearance, since Companions always enter play adjacent to the character that spawns them.

Spiff's comment that the trap makes the attack means Ambuscade is not immune to it is a mistake caused by how much the rules changed during playtesting.

At one time that was very much true, but the current ruling is things without HP may be where the attack is made from, but the attack is made by their deck's character.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Excellent coverage of all the things, Phantaskippy!  Thanks!

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

If I've got it wrong in the FAQ, just point me at the link to the correct official ruling and I'll update it.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

The current link you have for the traps and Ambuscade actually has it right, just the faq wording is wrong.

The FAQ text:

ambuscade will trigger his own traps if he enters a hex with a trap marker. the card says the trap makes the attack, not ambuscade, so he’s not immune to it. https://greaterthangames.com/comment/81702#comment-81702

The comment linked to:

If Ambuscade moves through a trap he would set it off (because he is a target moving into the hex with a trap) and it could hurt his allies if they are in radius

As for the general attacks made by non-target sources come from their character I haven't found an official word yet, but I remember because I was on the losing side of that fight.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

OK, I'll update the wording in the FAQ.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

padlock

Thanks everyone for the informative answers. And thanks spiff for the great work you're doing maintaining the FAQ!