The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

After work Campaign

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Churcher
After work Campaign

So, I happen to be one of the lucky few that works in the video game industry.  One of my coworkers and good friends kept talking about this game. I kept putting it off, mostly because I'm not a huge superhero fan.  Sure, I like the big names in comics.  I know who Stan Lee and Jack Kirby are, and my favorite Super Hero is Iron Man.  But not really read comics as a kid, so super heroes didn't appeal to me too much.  Then, one day as a coworker was having one last hangout before moving away, he breaks out the game and oh, have I seen the light.  Absolutely loved the game, and played another, because I didn't want to end the night on a lost to Omnitron.  So we fight Plague Rat and as the last man standing, Legacy defeats the Plague Rat in the Industral Complex.  From there, I was hooked.  I immediately turned around and bought the game along with all expansions.  Unity and Ambuscade are arriving soon and I will be looking for promo cards.  

But this leads me to the reason of this post.  On the weekends, we finish up and we try to play two games a night.  And we decided that we wanted to make a story out of it, and we wanted to share our experiences with this.  The first couple of games are a bit hazy on exactly WHAT happened, but we're trying to chain it together. 

Game One:

Villian: Grand Warlord Voss

Heroes: Tachyon, Chrono Ranger, Omnitron X, Fanatic

Tachyon heads to the Wagner Mars Base with Fanatic to do some reasearch on a robot that was discovered on Mars.  Wondering why Fanatic had to come along, the angel mearly replies, "I need to be here."  At the same time, Chrono Ranger shows up, and finds Omnitron-X.  O-X speaks with Chrono Ranger, informing him that something is interfering with the normal space time continuum. The group meets up, and after a bit of initial panic from Tachyon and Fantic, there is an alarm that is set off.  An alien fleet is moving to invade Earth.  O-X and CR both mention that this invasion is WAY too early.  The team gets together and defeats the inbound fleet. 

Game Two:

Villian: La Capitan

Heroes: The Visionary, Expatriot, Nightmist, Scholar

After returning home, Tachyon informs Legacy of the situation and Legacy tells her that Baron Blade is planning on pulling a moon into the Earth.  Something just doesn't add up here.  The Freedom Five and friends head out to Baron Blade's new headquarters on a tropical island to stop them.  On the way there, a time vortex opens up, sucking the team into it.  Visionary, Expatriot, Nightmist and Scholar are pulled onto a constant and everchanging landscape where time flys past them.  In this area, they come across a time corsair named (Lots of names, but we'll call her La Capitan. :P) During this time, the team discovered a few boxes belonging to the "Corporation." Additionally, they see a young Vanessa Long as a centerpoint to all this.  After a long and exhausting fight (It was 3 am for us after a 10 hour shift that started at 11am...)  the Corsair defeated the heroes, but not after losing her ship...for now.  The team was deposited near the island they were going to, but the island had been changed!

Game Three: 

Villian: Baron Blade

Heroes: Legacy, Bunker, Wraith, Tachyon

On this island, the heroes discover dinosaurs!  They realize that they had travelled several MILLION years in the past.  Baron Blade's plan was to bring the moon into the Earth, causing the Ice Age early, so he could reshape the Earth into his image. Unfortunately for Baron Blade and his minons, the inhabitants of the island weren't too keen on the idea of being the center of a moon impact site.  After a few Velociraptors and a very angry T-Rex destroyed a Mobile Defense Platform and a few of the Blade Legionares, the Heroes  defeat Baron Blade and his tractor beam. The team makes more discoveries of the Corporation equipment and things start coming together... Inventing a device, Tacyhon develops a one time use device to restore the team back to their timeline.

Game Four:

Villian: Spite

Heroes: Haka, Ra, Absolute Zero, Argent Adept

(Consequences: Win/Chairman in Rook City.  Loss/Iron Legacy in Final Wasteland)  - This is the point where we wanted to craft a story out of our games.  We then made it where our wins and loses would determine the next game and try to find a good way to incorporate all villians, locations and heroes into this story.

Upon hearing rumors and putting together clues, the team discovers that the Chairman of the Corporation is engineering a breakout of one of the most deadly superhumans out of the Block.  The Freedom Five sent Haka, Ra, AZ and AA to the Block to prevent Spite from escaping. Placing specific drugs throughout the facility using his undercover agents, The Chairman's plan was to allow Spite to break out, and using a time vortex device, alter Spite to a point to where he could controll him.  Spite was about to beak out, but the team was barely able to stop him.  (We also forgot that Spite heals everytime he deals damage,so we ruled that the Block had some sort of dampining field in play...until he destroyed it when we remembered that rule.)

Game Five:

Villian: The Chairman

Heroes: Chrono Ranger, Wraith (Investigor Alternate), Mr. Fixer, Unity

(Consequences: Win/Kismet at Pike Industrial.  Loss/The Dreamer in Realms of Discord)

The Chairman was prepared.  The heroes were not.  A brief and ultimately futile struggle, the team was utterly wiped out, while the Chairman activated his Time Vortex device.  Tearing a hole in the Space Time continuum, he comes right to the point of Vanessa Long's awakening.  Sensing the Chairman's interference, the Dreamer makes her purpose in the universe known.  She erases him from all time, and goes about restoring the timeline...

So, this is where we stand.  We face The Dreamer tomorrow night in the Realms of Discord.  As she is the perserver of time, she is effectively rebooting the universe.  Unfortunately, the team is still caught in between time lines.  The team needs to protect the Dreamer as she does her job.  Victory means restoring the timeline as best as possible to the heroes knowledge.  Failure means things will be...altered.  

Game Six:

Villian: The Dreamer

Heroes: To Be Determined.

(Consequences: Win/Iron Legacy in a location of our choosing.  Loss/Iron Legacy at the Ruins of Atlantis, with the Pillars of Hercules active on turn one...)

Let us know if you guys want to hear more about our comic book story as told by the cards! 

Churcher

Game Six:

Villian: The Dreamer

Heroes: Bunker, The Scholar, Omnitron-X, and The Eternal Haka.

(Consequences: Win/Iron Legacy in the Time Cataclysm.  Loss/Iron Legacy at the Ruins of Atlantis, with the Pillars of Hercules active on turn one...)

While the Dreamer started resetting the timeline, she started bringing out projections to protect herself from external threats.  Unfortunately, her subconcious does not recognize friend from foe, and started attacking the heroes as they were guiding her to the proper timeline. Throughout the fight, the projections were no match for heroes.  Then the sleeper awakened, and actively started taking a part in her own defense.  While the heroes were battered mentally, they held on to their sanity, and pushed through the projections to gently ease the Dreamer back to reality. The timeline was reset...but once the heroes were starting to celebrate, an Iron Fist came from nowhere and struck the Legacy...causing another Vortex!

Game Seven: 

Villian: Iron Legacy

Heroes: Legacy, Chrono-Ranger, Visionary, Expatriate.

(Consequences: Win/End of Arc.  Loss/Akash'Buta in the Final Wasteland.)

Spirialing in the Vortex, Legacy and Iron Legacy kept trading blow for blow.  It seems that neither could deal damage to each other. (Seriously.  Next Evolution calling Melee, followed up with a Lead from the Front equals an immune team...for the most part.)  An Atlantian Throne Room showed up furthering dampining the power of all heroes.  However, the team was able to bring the Iron Legacy to a stalemate...but unfortunately, so did the Iron Legacy bring the team to a stalemate.  Visionary, knowing that this was the by-product of a mis-alignment of the time lines, begin to slowly erode Iron Legacy's defences.  All the time, The Iron Legacy kept screaming about how his daughter was dead at the hands of Baron Blade, and he would do anything to stop that from happening again, even if it meant destroying the timeline to do so.  Blow after vicious blow, the fight continued, until the Visionary's eyes glowed white hot, and she called out, "He is weakened as much as he will be.  Drive him back to his timeline!"  All the team pushed forward...Legacy lead the charge, Expatriate Unloading all of her ammo, Chrono Ranger bringing out all the bounties to focus on this one enemy.  Finally, the Iron Legacy was pushed back into his timeline, only to scream in anger and dispair.  His scream still haunts the Legacy to this day, as to show what he could have become...

Next time: We start the new arc.  We're thinking Akash'Buta or Ambuscade in Silver Gulch, and possibly Miss Information at another location.  But that's the end of the Time Vortex Travel Arc.  Thanks for reading!

Churcher

A New Arc for new ideas!

Filler game:

Villian: Ambuscade

Heroes: Unity, Absolute Zero, Tempest, Mr. Fixer

Coming off of their small break from the time travelling, the Freedom Five and friends decided to get together and set up a scenario to encourage team tactics and training, should the need for another grouping of the world's superheroes ever occur.  Set up in the holographic training room in the FFHQ: Unity, Absolute Zero, Tempest and Mr. Fixer strode into a holographic representation of Silver Gulch set in 1883.  Legacy shrugged his shoulders as a smiling Tachyon said "I watched a Western last night."

As the team got set up on the one road in the town, the slight shimmer of a man appeared in the shadows, as a gunshot rang out.  Unity started constructing bots from equipment lying around; AZ started freezing the area, hoping to flush out the hunter.  Tempest started calling down lightning, and Mr. Fixer...well, Mr. Fixer assumed a stance and calmly scanned the area.  He saw the shimmer of a mine before anyone triggered it and brought out a grease gun. Covering it, and the area, he revealed the holographic enemy.  Ambuscade!  Ambuscade started shooting the bots and slowly picking off the heroes.  The heroes pulled back, discussed tactics, and set back off towards the Ambuscade hologram.   Mr. Fixer distracted it and pulled a bit of fire as Tempest and AZ focused their power towards the target.  Unity continued to create bots until a mass of Raptor bots moved forward to attack!  Finally, AZ summoned a pillar of ice from the local water trough and impaled the hologram, ending the fight!

Game One: "That's No Kitty!!"

Villian: Miss Information

Heroes: Nightmist, Investigative Wraith, Ra, Team Leader Tachyon.

(Consequences: Win/Gloomweaver at Ruins of Atlantis.  Loss/Kismet at Wagner Mars Base.)

Things had been calm for the past 2 months.  Many villains were fairly quiet, and the world was in no immediate danger.  But of course, the Freedom Five and friends are always vigilant.  But, even superheroes need some time off, especially in light of the latest situations.  Paul Parsons took his daughter on a small vacation for some family time, leaving Tachyon in charge.  Things remained peaceful in Megaoplis until the call came in...an old lady in the street! Tachyon, quick to action and ready for the lead, called the team together to help this situation.  Wraith, Nightmist and Ra all were willing to follow...but seriously?  Four heroes to help someone cross the street?  Arriving at the scene they find that this "old lady" was an evil ice spewing specter! Things got even more interesting when some of their equipment started to fail out on them.  Once she was dealt with, there was a cat that needed rescuing from a tree.  But it was no mere cat...it was a full Feline BEAST.  The team started putting clues together, realizing that Aminia, their trusty secretary...wasn't quite so trusty! Her cover blown, she revealed herself as Miss Information, and started attacking the heroes directly!  But, a mere secretary stood no chance against 4 super heroes who have been betrayed.  Defeating her, it looked like she snapped out of whatever murderous rage she was in.  Before interrogating her, her eyes glazed over before falling into a deep coma.  What could have caused this?  Nightmist cast a spell and saw a thin strand of magic leaving Aminia.  Tracing the magic, it leads through the Realm of Discord...through Gloomweaver's territory...