The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Advice for Future Expansions (decks).

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
lugaru
lugaru's picture
Advice for Future Expansions (decks).

Hey, just bought the game and expansion at PAX EAST, after a fun demo using Legacy.

I'm running a few games this Saturday, so I have not had a chance to do an official game yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

That said opening a massive box of cards is a little maddening, and I'm still trying to decide exactly how to organize it all.

So I was wondering: how about for future "small" expansions putting out deck boxes? I dont just mean like a big box with a ton of tinnier boxes in it... but I mean micro expansions.

Something like a "Nemesis Pack" where you could have (as generic as possible) Captain Good (41 card deck) vs Major Evil (22 card villain deck) in a nice old fasioned cardboard deck box. Seems like a cheap and fun way to keep expanding the universe, and easier to store.

ketigid

27 cards in villain. :)

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Thanks for your input!

Our next major release as a company will involve a storage solution.  But more on that next week!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I'd buy a Nemesis Pack, although I'd like it to include a new environment as well.

In fact, maybe SotM expansions could be like World of Warcraft expansion -- we get a major expansion (Rook City), then a few months later we get a new hero/villain/environment that goes with Rook City, then a few months later we get another, etc.  Heck, things could even build with each expansion the way they do with WoW so that the final Nemesis Pack in the Rook City line could have included The Chairman, making him the ultimate boss of the cycle.  I'd pay money for that.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Spiff wrote:
I'd buy a Nemesis Pack, although I'd like it to include a new environment as well.

In fact, maybe SotM expansions could be like World of Warcraft expansion -- we get a major expansion (Rook City), then a few months later we get a new hero/villain/environment that goes with Rook City, then a few months later we get another, etc.  Heck, things could even build with each expansion the way they do with WoW so that the final Nemesis Pack in the Rook City line could have included The Chairman, making him the ultimate boss of the cycle.  I'd pay money for that.

I kinda like that idea, but at the same time, I like having a set time for when essentially every part of an expansion comes out. I'd of course be okay with adding onto the expansions, if new ideas that would fit perfectly came up after the expansion. But I like getting everything at once.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Christopher wrote:
Our next major release as a company will involve a storage solution.  But more on that next week!

Awesome!  ;D I'll definitely be looking forward to that.

A little more feedback for consideration: (Unfortunately, there's always different opinions - >G is going to have to do the marketting analysis and find a way to get the greatest bang for their buck! ;) )

One of the things I like about Rook City is the cohesive flavor of the set. While Matriarch is a little outside of this (she could have come from anywhere), the rest of the set is beautifully cohesive, thematically. Artistically, the entire set is impressively cohesive. (Birds everywhere! 8) ) For me, that's a very big part of my enjoyment of the game.

Coming out with individual character decks would be interesting, but I'm not one of the folks who would enjoy that as much as themed set.

My biggest suggestion for future expansions: Keep 'em coming! Luckily, I don't see that as being an issue. ;)

Rabit

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

DashSmoothly

I just picked it up at PAX too.  I am looking forward to the event my FLGS is going to hold.  This game has been a HUGE hit with my gaming group.

lugaru
lugaru's picture

I just wanted to lay low until I had a chance to play this weekend... my friends where still Magic The Gathering obsessed from PAX but I snuck in one game... 3 vs Baron Blade, I think we barely stopped him before the destroyed the world, after that it was a victory lap.

I still stand by the idea of boxes, so I cant wait to see what happens, but just for cheap thrills I would love to see some sort of tiny expansions. Meanwhile I have a ton of game to explore, not to mention the "endless replayability" design style.