The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Advice for First Game with New Players

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
Katsue
Katsue's picture

Envisioner wrote:

Katsue wrote:
Also, out of turn card play for Unity, Mr. Fixer, Fanatic and Nightmist is really really strong.

Why Fanatic exactly?  I can't think of a card from her deck which is especially interesting out of turn.  Also, if you're mentioning Mr. Fixer because of Overdrive, then you really ought also to mention Expatriette with Unload, which requires a Gun in play but is vastly more powerful if you have several of them.

You're right that both essentially give an extra Power use when played out of turn compared to when played in turn, but for Expatriette, playing it out of turn basically lets her use her worst attack an extra time, while Mr. Fixer gets to play his best attack an extra time. Also, out-of-turn Overdrive can let Mr. Fixer stack up a -3 damage penalty on someone with Hoist Chain, or absolutely murder someone with Bloody Knuckles.

And Mr. Fixer has more Overdrives in his deck than Expatriette has Unloads in hers, plus he can use Salvage Yard to effectively play them again.

Mr. Fixer also much prefers to play Grease Gun  out of turn than on-turn, for the same reasons Fanatic prefers to play Prayer of Desperation out of turn.

In my view, the strong Expatriette-Argent Adept comboes are letting Expatriette draw more cards so she can get better use out of Speed Loading, and letting her play multiple RPG Launchers in a single turn, or RPG Launcher + Flak Jacket.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Note that with some damage buffs (easy enough for him to get), there don't even need to be any villain ongoing cards in play for Ra to still nuke everything nicely ;). Scorched Earth is the same story, and you can do both in one turn with absoltely no external help :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Also Drawn to the Flame isn't limited. So you could Flame Spike into two Drawn to the Flames which can be pretty horrendous with buffs and the right target.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ooh yes, good point. That versus the Ennead would be pretty damn amazing (but I expect that's kind of the point, given their status toward each other) :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Katsue wrote:
You're right that both essentially give an extra Power use when played out of turn compared to when played in turn, but for Expatriette, playing it out of turn basically lets her use her worst attack an extra time, while Mr. Fixer gets to play his best attack an extra time.

That's true only because Fixer has only one attack.  And it's not usually very good.  My favorite trick with Expat is to have both Pride and Prejudice in play (admittedly difficult, but far from impossible with Quick Draw and Arsenal Access, compared to Fixer's odds of finding a particular Tool), so Unload allows you to use two powers - one of which is both Pride and Prejudice, and the other lets you play a card.  (If you played a second Unload this way, would you get to use two powers again, or does "you may use X powers this turn" fail to stack?  I can see an argument for saying that the second card counts you as having already used up all the options it gives you.)

Ameena wrote:
Ooh yes, good point. That versus the Ennead would be pretty damn amazing (but I expect that's kind of the point, given their status toward each other) :D.

So, does the nemesis rule count as a +1 bonus to 0 damage, or do you need to have another such bonus to make it damage at all, to which Nemesis then applies?

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

A second Unload wouldn't do much, since you can't use a power twice anyways. The only use I could see is if you have extra powers from the Tomb of Anubis.

You don't need an additional boost to get the Nemesis bonus damage.

Envisioner wrote:

My favorite trick with Expat is to have both Pride and Prejudice in play (admittedly difficult, but far from impossible with Quick Draw and Arsenal Access, compared to Fixer's odds of finding a particular Tool), so Unload allows you to use two powers - one of which is both Pride and Prejudice, and the other lets you play a card.

This usually isn't worth it. If you have a card to play, it would be much better to play it during you play phase, then use Load to play Unload. This way, if the card is a gun or ammo, you would still gain something from it. If the card isn't a gun or ammo, then there is no practical difference if you play it before or after, unless you have an ammo you specifically don't want to go off this turn, EDIT: It would also make  difference when you play Flak Jacket if the enemy has a counter-attack.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Pydro wrote:
This usually isn't worth it. If you have a card to play, it would be much better to play it during you play phase

Um...duh?  You can play one card with this trick and then another one on your play phase.  If you have lots of cards in hand, this is totally useful.

Scenario 1:  Granted an out-of-turn play, Expat plays Flak Jacket.  On her turn, she plays Hair-Trigger Reflexes, Loads an Unload, and then fires Pride and Prejudice as her one remaining power for the turn.

Scenario 2:  Granted an out-of-turn play, Expat plays Unload, fires Pride and Prejudice, and Loads a Flak Jacket, and fires Pride and Prejudice.  On her turn, she plays Hair-Trigger Reflexes, then fires Pride and Prejudice again.  Profit!  (Thanks to Matchstick Man for pointing out that the order matters.)

Quote:
then use Load to play Unload.

If you do that, Loading the Unload counts toward your total powers for the turn, so with P&P in play, you only get one more.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

If you use P&P then you have used 2 powers, if you have only P&P in play Unload does not allow you to use P&P and then Load, only Load and then P&P

Pride does not give you an extra power use in the same way that Unload does , it allows you to use Prejudice but it still counts as a power use for purposes of 'counting'

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

My mistake. I didn't read it carefully. I didn't realize taht we were talking about using it out of turn.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Pages