The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Active Actions

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony
Active Actions

What counts as an "Active Action"? 

Specifically this refers to Overwhelm. Does using an action once make it "inactive"? 

Let's say I use Duplicate. Is Duplicate still an active action to Overwhelm with?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

An active power is in play.

An active action would be an action that is in play.

So yeah, you would be able to select an active action that you had already used for Overwhelm.

You can't use the action twice, but the action you are using is overwhelm.  Like Hypersonic Assault can cause Tachyon to Nimble Strike or Sucker Punch a ridiculous amount of times, because they aren't using it as an action.

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

phantaskippy wrote:
 Like Hypersonic Assault can cause Tachyon to Nimble Strike or Sucker Punch a ridiculous amount of times, because they aren't using it as an action.

Tachyon isn't the best supporting argument, though, thanks to HUD Goggles.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Sorry to resurrect this thread but can I get another clarification on Active Actions? Do they include actions common to all (most) characters such as Move and Sprint? If I have already used an action this turn is it still considered "Active" (I'm asking mainly for the purposes of Overwhlem, hence the resurrection)?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:

Sorry to resurrect this thread but can I get another clarification on Active Actions? Do they include actions common to all (most) characters such as Move and Sprint? If I have already used an action this turn is it still considered "Active" (I'm asking mainly for the purposes of Overwhlem, hence the resurrection)?

Those actions are Active.  As for Overwhelm, Overwhelm doesn't let you use the action, it uses it with its action.  So it doesn't matter if you used People's hammer already, because you aren't using People's Hammer, you are using Overwhelm to cause all of the Proletariats to use People's Hammer.

lutherbellhendricksv
Game Designer

An "Active Action" is any action printed in your inherent powers, any action printed on a power card you have in play, any of the four basic actions (Move Aim Dodge Sprint), or any Action you might have in some other way. (Shard Toss maybe? I forget exactly how that got worded in the final printing.) Actions printed on power cards you don't have in play aren't "Active Actions" (even if Bunker has Turret Mode in play).

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

So overwhelm can be used to add X Dodge tokens or X Aim tokens? I can see a Proletariat/Beacon combo being far more effective than anyone realised!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

All proletariats are proletariat.  They share one token pool, so if they all aimed wouldn't they still get one token?

If Legacy has inspiration in play does Proletariat get a token for every one of his targets in sight, or just one token for being in sight?

I've played it that he gets one token, because while there might be 6 proletariat instances in play, they are all one proletariat, and they are inspired the same by Legacy if one or all can see him being inspirational.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Interesting distinction. I don't recall anything saying you can only have one Aim/Dodge token at a time so I don't see why you wouldn't get multiple. But there's a difference between taking one action multiple times and one ability affecting each character once so I'm not sure those situations are comparable.

lutherbellhendricksv
Game Designer

You can certainly have more than one Dodge/Aim token at a time. You lose all Dodge/Aim tokens at the start of your next turn, though.

If Proletariat uses Overwhelm and chooses Aim (or Dodge), each Proletariat will take the Aim action, and Proletariat will get that many Aim tokens. An Overwhelming Dodge might be useful if you expect to get attacked many times, or in many places, before your next turn. An Overwhelming Aim could let you use 2 Aimed People's Hammers with your next two actions.

However, Inspiring Presence gives tokens to "ally"s. Proletariat is multiple targets, but a single character (and thus a single ally).

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

lutherbellhendricksv wrote:
An Overwhelming Aim could let you use 2 Aimed People's Hammers with your next two actions.

Or an Aimed Overwhelming People's Hammer/Hammer Sweep during Beacon's turn...

Thanks for the answers Luther

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I'll add this to the Tactics FAQ when I get a chance.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

lutherbellhendricksv wrote:

You can certainly have more than one Dodge/Aim token at a time. You lose all Dodge/Aim tokens at the start of your next turn, though.If Proletariat uses Overwhelm and chooses Aim (or Dodge), each Proletariat will take the Aim action, and Proletariat will get that many Aim tokens. An Overwhelming Dodge might be useful if you expect to get attacked many times, or in many places, before your next turn. An Overwhelming Aim could let you use 2 Aimed People's Hammers with your next two actions.However, Inspiring Presence gives tokens to "ally"s. Proletariat is multiple targets, but a single character (and thus a single ally).

That makes sense.