The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Accidental unlocks

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Accidental unlocks

I haven't tried to unlock any of the variants in the digital version -- I was having fun just playing the main game and jumping through hoops to unlock things didn't seem fun.

It was a super fun surprise, then, when I incidentally unlocked Mad Bomber Blade.

Today, though, I felt like playing and didn't feel like just a regular fight, so I thought it would be fun to see if I could destroy both of Voss' ships in the same turn, as I vaguely recalled that doing so was a way to unlock something.

I dutifully picked a team of heroes based on dealing a lot of power and controlling the villain deck: Legacy, Visionary, Wraith, Tempest, Ra. I focused first on getting lots of cards for Wraith. I wanted to get out both of her Infrared Eyepieces and her Utility belt.

You see where this is going, right? I incidentally unlocked the Rook City Wraith promo by using both of the Infrared Eyepieces. So much fun! I also successfully unlocked Cosmic Omnitron by destroying both ships in the same turn. Still fun, but not the same sort of joyous surprise.

Still, if I hadn't been _trying_ to destroy both ships in the same turn, I have difficulty imagining that I ever would have done it incidentally.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

You know, after I deliberately unlocked Rook City Wraith, I've found myself putting out double Eyepieces quite often. I don't use both of the in a turn that much, but it's so useful to have them for that moment where you get a choice between Devastating Aurora and Devastating Aurora.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

The only accidental unlock I got was Bunker, after that I looked up how to do it and specifically went after them. I don't think I would have gotten most of them if I hadn't

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

Super Scientific Tachyon was an accidental unlock for me, but all the others I had to go out of my way to get

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

MightySi
MightySi's picture

I havent managed to get Cosmic Omnitron or SSTachyon yet.  i think I must play her a bit wrong, everyone seems to get her by accident ;)

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

It's a little difficult to get SS tachyon. I had to work to get her out and I took a beating while setting it up. It is something you could concievably do by accident, but it is a "rare event" type of play

MightySi
MightySi's picture

Managed to get her today with a fortuitous card draw.  Omnitron is next...

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

Chaosmancer wrote:

It's a little difficult to get SS tachyon. I had to work to get her out and I took a beating while setting it up. It is something you could concievably do by accident, but it is a "rare event" type of play

If Team Leader Tachyon is any easier to get, she'll make getting Super Scientific Tachyon a breeze when she comes to the game. That extra draw just gives so much more power to everyone, including extra chances to play multiple cards.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I disagree that it's difficult to unlock SST without trying. Between HUD Goggles, Pushing the Limits, and Fleet of Foot, it's actually pretty straightforward. Even managing to chain a couple Fleet of Foots is probably enough.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

And adding the card that let's you draw 3 is useful too

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Humble-Knight wrote:

And adding the card that let's you draw 3 is useful too

That's right -- it's based on cards put into trash, not cards put into play.

jajd2c

I didn't even realize that there were ways to unlock the variants until I accidentally unlocked Super Scientific Tachyon. I still think she is the easiest variant to accidentally unlock, just because of the speed at which she burns through her deck. 

mlangsdorf

I unlocked SST in the tutorial without realizing what I had done. And then I shifted to another computer, got annoyed that I didn't have an unlocked SST, and couldn't figure out how I had unlocked on the other machine.

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

jajd2c wrote:

I didn't even realize that there were ways to unlock the variants until I accidentally unlocked Super Scientific Tachyon. I still think she is the easiest variant to accidentally unlock, just because of the speed at which she burns through her deck. 

Not sure if I'd agree, I'd say Bunker's is just as easy if not easier to do by accident- going from Recharge Mode to Upgrade Mode to Turret Mode is actually my preferred method of playing as Bunker.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Bunker would not have been an accidental unlock for me I NEVER play upgrade mode. the card play cost of upgrade mode takes too long to repay itself.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

The fastest setup that Bunker can see

Starts with Upgrade and then 1 2 3:

A grenade launcher is one

and a flak cannon's fun

then Turret Mode shooting debris

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

The fastest setup that Bunker can see

Starts with Upgrade and then 1 2 3:

A grenade launcher is one

and a flak cannon's fun

then Turret Mode shooting debris

That's a great combo, but I'm with Medic-Tank on this one. The odds of having those particular cards ready to play, unless you've been chilling in Recharge Mode for a while, are pretty low. Upgrade Mode just wastes too much time and squanders opportunities to deal damage (External Combustion aside). At least Recharge improves your tanking ability.

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I'm a fan of Upgrade Mode. It may be my least used of the three modes, but those moments where it is the best card to play are magical.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

The fastest setup that Bunker can seeStarts with Upgrade and then 1 2 3:A grenade launcher is oneand a flak cannon's funthen Turret Mode shooting debris

Say your starting hand has those 4 cards your option means by turn two nice damage of 4, 3, 3 and 2 total of 12. If you start with Grenade you get powers on the first two turns so potentially have done 10 damage by turn 2. On turn 3 I can turret and catch up but I don't rage if ongoing destruction takes out upgrade before any benefits. Flexibility is important to my play style and it certainly is not one of his hallmarks but he got more love from me in Tactics.