The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Absolute Zero Complaints and Defences

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Foote wrote:

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

You are a wise one, SoundOfTrees. That encapsulates my feelings about so many heroes so well.The Scholar was a big one for me. I used to think Flesh to Iron was so superior to his other forms. Then I was enlightened as to entirely new ways to play, which have shaped my play with him tremendously! There's rarely a "best" card in any game. Lots of options and risk/reward options abound, and that's what makes the game great!

The LEE Engine!

Precisely! I showed it off to my friends at one point after i had tried it out a few times and it was like I'd hit them with a ton of bricks. It changes the way I view Scholar's deck so very much.

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

dragon2439 wrote:

Is he actually at absolute zero? I just assumed it was a themed name for somebody that needs much much less heat then most people to survive. 

Absolute Zero's bio wrote:

While waxing the floor of the cryolab, Frost was caught in the explosion of a malfunctioning sub-zero atomizer. Miraculously surviving the blast, his mangled body’s core temperature was permanently dropped to nigh absolute zero. Temperatures warmer than liquid helium were as fire; room temperature air burned his body as if he were engulfed in flames. 

Helium becomes a liquid at 4 Kelvin.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Expatriette can shoot him to heal (with the correct module in play) with Liquid Nitrogen Rounds (why you would, I'm not sure, since it reduces damage dealt. Also, only not sure if Expat can hit hero targets with that).

Anyways, liquid nitrogen boils at 77K, so there's a bit more range than absolute zero, but still incredibly cold.

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Yeah his body temperature is "nigh Absolute Zero"  4 Kelvin is slightly higher, and that "felt like Fire"

Also, there seems to be a pretty good amount of information about the person who killed his fiancee for a back story only character.  It doesn't seem too much like a point of motivation, he doesn't want revenge.

It seems a little out of place in he Bio.  I think that character is going to come back.

Edwin

Calling it now, that guy would later become Revenant.

"I'm starting to feel comic books lack realism."
"Master of Understatement: Level Up!"
--Two nearly-consecutive (in the other order) quotes from the webcomic "Grrl Power".

e.hananto
e.hananto's picture

Somebody in BGG had also made a really cool AZ promo that has worked wonderfully in my game.

Power: Play a card. Absolute Zero deal himself 1 fire AND 1 cold damage.

Quote:
AZ is useless without both modules, and reliant on a few non-recoverable one-shots or the hard-to-purposefully-find Thermal Shockwave for his contribution to the team. Now he can get both modules out in a turn and still use them. If he doesn't have TS or one-shots it's still decent. Since his deck has horrible card draw, he can't abuse the extra plays the way some heroes would. Docked 1HP, although I don't think that's needed. This is intended to be straight-up better than original AZ, no shame here.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1077771/custom-promos

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

While I take issue witht he language, I understand players who are frustrated by AZ.

I also like the promo a whole lot.  It's not TLT powerful, but it is a bigtime card.  I can't at all agree that it is too powerful, since that base power almost never gets used once you get thermal, but it is really nice when you don't get your really good powers.  Just skipping you play phase and playing a card with your power is a nice upgrade over regular AZ when you have your Modules out.

Without them it's a card play at a cost.  

Pages