The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

A Superhero RPG Playtest

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cosmic-Hunter
A Superhero RPG Playtest

Hello, hello everyone!

First off, I would just like to say that I am super new here! This might seem like a rather... Ambitious first post, but actually I hope that it isn't that big of a deal!

Secondly, I want to indicate that I browsed through the rules for the site and the forum for a bit before I felt comfortable that this would be okay to put up. If the Mods, and the owners of this fine gaming establishment feel that this isn't proper, I am more than happy to have this taken down and removed from the site. No harm, no fowel! However, since I didn't see anything about this in the rules for the forums itself I decided to take a bit of a chance.

This is also not an attempt to really create any real buzz or hype, nor is it meant to capitalize on the upcoming Sentinel Comics RPG- which I am very much looking forward to I might add! I just think this a fantastic forum filled with a host of very creative people, and thought maybe one or two of them would appreciate something like this.

This is just a game that has been circling around my head for the past year/year and a half or so, and I'm afraid that if I don't put it somewhere/do something with it I might continue to endlessly iterate on it and never stop/ I don't want this to get too far ahead of me, but I would also like this to see the light of day as well. So, this was my attempt to sort of present what I have so far, and see what some people who might be interested in these types of things might think. Who knows in the future, I might just actually do something with it!

So... With all that cryptic language out of the way I present, for the interest of the forums here, a  Table-Top RPG! Well, at least a sort of "playtest" of one if you will. Who knows maybe someday this could turn into something more than just a playtest document, but for the moment I'm not holding my breath for it.

This of course is a Superhero RPG, that uses a skeletal framework from a game called Freeform Universal, but really that is just the very basic bones and the game is much, much, different than normal Freeform Universals structure. It is a pretty rules light, and narrative forward type game. The rules aren't complicated, and creating a die pool is supposed to be fast, and encourage a player to use their imagination/creativity to make each action interesting and different... At least that is its intention.

I would like to point out a few things: I am not a writer, a designer, or more importantly: An editor. This "manuscript" needs... A lot of work before it is anywhere near where I would like it to be for a more "official" offering. It is missing information from certain areas of the text- like advice for helping the narrator come up with scenes, episodes, arcs, and seasons. However, all of the core gameplay elements are present in the document. This thing needs a lot of polish, and quite frankly hasn't been playtested. However, since I don't have a steady group of guinea pi... I mean Players *Cough*, I really don't have a lot of ways of playtesting it myself.

So with that in mind, and in that spirit, I leave it to the whims of the individuals of the forum to do with as they please for now! If I make sweeping, drastic changes to the game as I go, I might post them up here for those interested as time goes on. Of course, feedback is appreciated, but I solely ask that we keep it constructive, and to the point and keep in mind that we might not share the same opinions on what makes for a good superhero game- which is more than okay!

Okay, I'm done now I promise. Have fun kids! (Also, I hate the current title and I am certainly looking for a good alternative that isn't already taken so the current title is a work in progress...)

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Welcome to the forums! :) I don't really know how to playtest RPGs, so I won't be any help, but I can at least say hi.