The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

A post-racial universe

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities
A post-racial universe

Someone on the Kickstarter mentioned something that's obvious once you notice it -- it looks like all the humans in the future are dark-skinned.  Of course, if you just base this from the pilots we've seen, then 50% of the humans in the future are gay too, but I don't think that's a statistically significant point.  ;)  However, if you look through all the pix shown on the Kickstarter that included metahumans even in the background, they are all dark-skinned, so I think it's obvious that it's not chance that both pilots are black.  All humans in the future are apparently dark-skinned.

This is, of course, perfectly fine.  It's just interesting to see an obvious editorial decision about the world of GSF presented in such a subtle way.  I suppose it also raises the question of whether non-black players would have any problems identifying with black-only human characters (ignoring for a moment the range of non-human characters to choose from).  Black players have had to do that with white-only characters in games since forever, so it really shouldn't be much of an issue.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Since this was only noticed by a few people, I don't think it will be an issue. Besides, Sci-Fi has a particular good track record on these things. Say what you want about the original Star Trek, but it had some of the greatest equality messages of any show that has been on the air.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Spiff
Spiff's picture

That's true, but what's being presented here isn't equality as we currently understand it.  There doesn't seem to be any diversity at all.  It's arguably worse than the inequality we have now, just with the skin colors reversed.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

I don't think they are all necessarily black, in fact they are all more of a shade of brown... and kind of on the lighter side too.

I imagine what happened was that after years and years of mixing all humans kind of evened out to the same hue... kind of like what happens with play-doh after you mix all the colors. 

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I am sorry, but the whole "they are not white so they must all be black" comment from the Kickstarter I found rather distasteful.

I mean seriously. No one finds fault with that? You talk about a "lack of diversity" while assuming they all must be the same ethnicity because they arn't obviously white?

This thread is coming dangerously close to being offensive. Just saying.

Edit: I dont mean to imply you guys above were saying those things particularly. Bad choice of words. What I really mean here is to be careful how you phrase things when dealing with historically touchy subjects

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

I just saw the Kickstarter post referenced and I think that while both that one and the OP here probably jumped at a conclusion rather quickly as to the ethnicity they belong to, I am not sure why they would be caregorized as offensive. They put forth a hypothesis and then ask for feedback on it, and in a manner that I think is open to rebuttals or difference in opinion, without trying to push their original assumption on others, but almost asking if anyone agrees or has thoughts on that.

I think simply pointing out that while none of the characters might pass for someone of say Scandinavian descent, they can surely be of Hispanic, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, South Asian, Pacific Islander, etc. descent in addition to the assumed African descent would be sufficient to counter without having to take offense to it. I know I didn't. 

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

You really don't see the problem in assuming any non-White character to automatically be Black? Seriously?

A comment does not have to be ill intended to come off as slightly ignorant. And keep in mind this is not directed at Spiff, but more toward the KS comment that prompted Spiffs thread. 

A discussion of how race developed over the millenia into what we see in GSF is a very interesting topic and one that I think would be very worth while to explore. What I don't find useful is a discussion framed around why all humans are black people.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

I see the problem with it, definitely, but I think the solution isn't to avoid the discussion or tell the people who may have that mindset to keep it quiet, but rather to explain why that assumption is incorrect (as in factually incorrect and not just that it is incorrect to say so)... especially when I don't believe the statement was made from a place of malice but rather due to a misinterpretation of what they saw. 

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Foote, you seem to maybe be assigning emotional baggage to what's really just a description of color?  In describing the hue of their skins, I didn't mean to imply they were all African-American or anything silly like that.  I make no assumption about their ethnicity, nor is there any positive or negative connotations assigned to any particular color.  It's just interesting that they're all dark when the most usual thing we see in a fantasy (space, in this case) world is everyone being light.  It's likewise interesting that such an unusual choice was made so subtly.

I think adults can discuss an interesting decision like this without freaking out just because the topic is the color of fictional character's skin, yes?

Zalrus9
Zalrus9's picture

I didn't really pay a whole lot of attention to the skin color of the metahumans, but now that you mention it, the slightly brownskined hue they all seem to have reminds me of that episode from South Park, where future humans take people's jobs...

As to the lack of diversity, since they all aren't even human, I don't see a problem... Also, although diversity issues are a problem, there are better ways to solve them in a constructive way.

Also, the KS comment is an indication that there is a problem in our culture with that, but one that can be changed with education, not ridicule. 

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

If the comment does come off as slightly ignorant I think that's even more reason to put forth a logical argument and discussion as to why that is incorrect. The goal should be to dispell ignorance when we see it, not just scold it and tell it to go away... at least not when adults are concerned. 

Now back to the topic at hand, I do find a discussion on the ethnic evolution of the humans in this particular fictional universe interesting, which is why I turned to this thread to begin with. 

If there was a history or timeline outlined as to how the world we live in today became the world of GSF it would be cool to see that laid out. 

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I totally agree.  I'd love to hear more about the history of the galaxy, to not only learn more about the races and how they've evolved, but also to just get a general map of the galaxy so I can start to mentally place things relative to each other.  The Kickstarter descriptions talk about this Cluster or that Sector, but I have no idea who's close to whom or how they would typically interact.

I probably should have included the other (less controversial) thing about the metahumans I find interesting in this discussion - not only have >G seemingly taken the trend lines for human skin color and extrapolated them into the future, but trends regarding human's use of technology have similarly been extended to their logical conclusion.  The fact that futuristic metahumans would be integrated with their tech so integrally that they literally become one with their ships when they pilot them is an extension of how we have been growing more intimate with our tech even today.  Hell, if I could jack into my car to drive it today, I'd do it!

EDIT:  I just re-read the Kickstarter post that people seem to think was so offensive.  I agree with jagarciao that I don't see what's offensive about it.  He noticed the fact of the skin color and proposed a couple of possible explanations for it, since it's unusual and interesting to speculate about.  He did use the word "black", but in about as neutral manner as you can use the word.  I'm not sure why referring to someone as "black" would be considered insulting anyways.  Being black is no better or worse than being anything else.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Again, maybe it was misunderstood, but none of that was directed at you Spiff, or anyone else on the forum for that matter. I know you didn't and I feel bad for derailing your thread. But the KS comment really bugged me, saw your thread in regards to it, and posted my grievance about it.

Sorry for the confusion. Hopfully you understand where I was coming from.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I'm not sure I do understand, but it's no big deal.  We all mean well here. :)

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

I just wanted to note that we know that Almaric has had a fiance of the same sex, which could mean he is homosexual, bisexual, or omnisexual.  Minor point, but we don't necessarily know that he exclusively prefers men.  Or humans, for that matter.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Mind... blown.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Spiff wrote:

not only have >G seemingly taken the trend lines for human skin color and extrapolated them into the future, but trends regarding human's use of technology have similarly been extended to their logical conclusion. 

I am glad you brought this up as it is the first thing I thought about reading about the 2nd human pilot today. The constant fear of their tech suddenly not working anymore? HA! Bloody brilliant.

Their vision of the human race (yes ethnicity included) seems to be extreamly logical and well thought out. I could totally believe humanity evolved with their tech in this exact way. Although it does not look like they got past bluetooth headsets which makes Foote a sad panda

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

I really like their secret defense, paranoia. Something that anyone that has ever had to make copies or upload a presentation minutes before it's due has definitely felt before. 

There should also be some kind of fail safe that shuts down all machines... You know... in case they go all the way of SkyNet or Matrix or I, Robot or any other story where machines gain sentience. 

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Reckless wrote:

I just wanted to note that we know that Almaric has had a fiance of the same sex, which could mean he is homosexual, bisexual, or omnisexual.  Minor point, but we don't necessarily know that he exclusively prefers men.  Or humans, for that matter.

In the words of a wise old man, "He's a 31st century guy!"

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Bringing the topic back to race, it's actually kind of sad that the humans in this world have been brought to the same culdesac that non-human races in fantasy worlds typically find themselves, namely that even though there are numerous shades and variations of humans, all fantasy races come in one flavor only.  An elf is an elf.  A dwarf is a dwarf.  The few times when that's not been the case, when you can have mountain/deep/hill dwarves or high/forest/night elves, I've found that diversity to make for more interesting stories.  As interesting as universally dark-skinned humans are, it's maybe more interesting to keep island/arctic/plains humans in the mix.

Reckless
Reckless's picture

I'm sure that there are more varieties of human skin tones.  This batch of signature metahumans may just not be honkey-dominated like so many other human races in fiction.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Both are interesting. I think, however, it seems that this is a take on the human race that hasn't been explored much. Humans are typically held up as examples of adaptability. This takes that in a different direction: a truly homogenous society. That's an angle that still leaves room for cultural differences, however.

Of course, without more of a wide galaxy view, I could be all wet.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Reckless, I'm not so sure.  Check out the workers in the background of the second pilot pic from today.  And the guy being stared down on the sample Station card.  And the waiter handing Almaric a drink.  If there are variations in skin tone in this universe (possible, as you say) we haven't seen them.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

I think that it might still be early to write off the entire human species as ethnically homogeneous in the GSF universe just yet. Though I would agree that it might be sad if this ends up not being part of a deliberate and integral part of the human history of this world.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

The Sulph-Orcs, on the other hand, have green and red representation so far in the game. ;P

Reckless
Reckless's picture

I'll give you that, but that same conclusion could be made from a lot of other works that have nothing but white characters in the future with little to no diversity.  If it does turn out to be more homogenized, I'm cool with it.  If this future has a Deltron 3030 vibe to it, I'm definitely not gonna complain.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Hmm, humans evolved originally in Africa, and then those who moved northwards slowly paled in their skin tone due to not needing as much pigment as there was less sunlight in those regions. So in the future, maybe as humans have explored further and further into space, maybe the radiation and stuff from the stars has caused their skin to generate more pigment, or maybe the lights on their ships are equivalent to sunlight (so they get all their Vitamin D and stuff ;))...in which case it would be logical that those who work/live in space all the time would have darker skin. Maybe there are planets of humans who are pale, or even darker than the spacefaring humans, because they spend more time in climates different to those found in spaceships and stuff. We don't know how orcs and stuff evolved so we can't say why they're red and green and stuff - maybe, unlike humans, there are different sub-species of orc or something...or maybe they've bred themselves into different varieties over the centuries.

All fun speculation! :D

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Cosmonaut Zero
Cosmonaut Zero's picture

If you have the technology for FTL travel, travel within a world or even a system is likely trivial, which will, over time, lead to relatively homogenous populations within those nodes. Especially if there aren't long-term wars between major factions within those nodes. And if interstellar travel is trivial and the species is at peace with itself, you'd expect the entire species to be relatively homogenous. It basically boils down to the timescale involved and how freely/easily you can travel. For very long timescales and very free travel, I would expect very little ethnic diversity.

This is a Greater than Games forum signature virus. Copy this text, add one to the generation, and replace your signature with this one so that this may take over the multiverse of forum signatures.
Generation: 1

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Reminds me of how they describe the playable humans in the DBZ MMO that's being made. You come from an unknown time far in the future, where all humans have Saiyan blood within them.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

Benhimself
Benhimself's picture
Playtester

Hey, I'm the guy who made the kickstarter comment mentioned in the OP. Spiff hit the nail on the head with my intentions: I used "black" to mean "of a dark skin color" rather than the many valid ethnic/cultural/race-as-social-construct meanings of the term. I definitely meant no disrespect or offense in doing so, and if I caused any I apologize!