The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

A place for our creations.

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Which it won't; Chris et. al. are all really cool guys who wholeheartedly endorse creating custom characters. They CAN'T allow us to put it on their site because if they coincidentally release a hero similar to a custom one on the site, then some asshole could sue them. That's just a factual thing that, while unfortunate, is no less true because of it. But if we were to make our own site specifically for Sentinels Homebrew, I'm sure they'd say "go for it," just like they did with house rules and everything else.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Nielzabub wrote:
I'm not actually a lawyer and I don't think you are either, which means that neither or us is really qualified to talk about what G> could actually do to circumvent possible lawsuits.

I'm not a priest of Zeus either, but I feel qualified to talk about what >G can do to prevent itself from being smited with holy lightning.  Namely, nothing, because Zeus is a figment of the imagination who has power only when large numbers of people agree to beat up whoever they've decided he doesn't like.  The law is the same - an imaginary bully whose torments are inflicted by and upon real people, of which which the latter deserve better and the former should know better.

In any event, I still say that it'd be trivially easy to have a "we are not responsible" clause in the forum terms which would cover >G's arse against any possible lawsuit, and would remove this (admittely also trivial) inconvenience of their fans.  Oh, and I'm still waiting to hear whether it's okay to link to offsite creations, although I'm suspecting so since it looks like several people have already done it.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I think you are highly overgeneralizing the legal system. Yes, it can be used to bully people, but it can protect them too. The implication is that G> is using the law to bully its fans and limit their creativity, which I don't agree with. The little man can be just as much of a bully using the law as a corporation, and if the problem could be solved with a simple disclaimer, they probably would've done it. Even though the general consensus is usually that lawyers are evil, but I doubt the ones employed by G> are sitting in a dark room cackling, "Muwaha Yes! The stifled creativity of fans make us stronger and more powerful. Quick! Someone hand me a baby, I forgot to eat breakfast this morning."Considering how lenient G> is with someone like Spiff who has made tons of SOTM related material, if you haven't checked out his site you should, such as environments and alternate character cards, I'm willing to give some benefit of the doubt to the team and their lawyers. 

On an unrelated note, I can never find the forum for custom characters on BGG, could someone link it for me?

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

I don't think Envisioner is saying that GTG is using the law to bully anyone, I believe his line of thought is more along the lines that GTG is allowing the fear of a potential lawsuit to prevent them from providing a better service to the fans. For instance, if someone were to post something that later became a character and that someone then sued GTG for stealing their idea, I am sure GTG could pull out early drafts or notes, or something else that would ultimately prove that their character design predates the fan's post and eventually get the suit dismissed. 

Having said that, I have to agree with GTG on their decision because such a lawsuit would tie up resources and take up a lot of time and potentially delay the release of future products and affect the company on a magnitude that is much higher than the inconvenience of  not being allowed to post custom characters on the GTG site, especially when an easily accessible public forum for that can be found on BGG. 

If GTG would take the position of allowing such submissions and be willing to shoulder the burden of potential legal action I would applaud their stance... but given the potential consequences of such action (even with the low probability of negative consequences) I have to agree with their decision to just not risk it. We all have to pick our fights and I think that one is just not the right one for a company of this size that is currently so heavily engaged in other creative endeavors. 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Nielzabub wrote:
On an unrelated note, I can never find the forum for custom characters on BGG, could someone link it for me?

There isn't really a specific forum for custom characters, but there is a forum for all variants, house rules and new characters included.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/17936/sentinels-of-the-multiverse

And then go to the box marked "Linked Forums" and click on the bit marked "variants", that will bring up all variants from the various Sentinels Forums on BGG, base game and expansions.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Here's a direct link to the most relevant forum: http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1051076/sentinels-of-the-multiverse/variants

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Nielzabub wrote:
I think you are highly overgeneralizing the legal system. Yes, it can be used to bully people, but it can protect them too.

But in its absence, the protection continues and the bullying vanishes.  It's much the same as with guns - having a gun might protect you from other people who also have guns, but the nonexistence of any guns anywhere would protect everyone.

Quote:
The implication is that G> is using the law to bully its fans and limit their creativity, which I don't agree with.

I don't think they're doing so intentionally, it's just an inevitable side effect of their participating in the system.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

But in its absence, the protection continues and the bullying vanishes.  It's much the same as with guns - having a gun might protect you from other people who also have guns, but the nonexistence of any guns anywhere would protect everyone.

. . . from guns.

If you get rid of the legal system you only get rid of the harm the legal system does, there is a whole lot of harm that isn't started by the legal system.  If you get rid of the legal system, you have to create a new one to stop that harm.  Just like if we get rid of current government and revert to a tribal structure, there is still government, it is a tribal government.

The minute people get together and start acting as a group for group benefit you have a government.

The minute a group of people get together and agree not to kill or steal from each other you have a legal system.

From there it evolves into more formalized and bigger goernments and systems.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Are we really bringing up the danger of firearms on the subject of not being able to post up "Original the Superhero" on the Sentinels forum?

Really?

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

All we need now is for someone to mention Nazis.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

... Nazis.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Okay, let's stop. At this point this has devolved pretty far from a useful conversation, and is so far off topic as to be inappropriate even for these forums.

The reality is we can't have home-brewed creations on the site. At some time this will likely change, but for now we have the BGG links posted above to facilitate such contributions.

Feel free to discuss anything else that's appropriately related to home-brewed creations, but lets drop the theoreticals of why it's not allowed here and the societal impacts (if there are any) of such decisions. Sorry to be a hassle, but seriously, Spiff pointed out this was going to happen... frown

(And Silverleaf and McBehrer? Nicely played. smileyyes)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

So, over at BGG there is a thread about making a christmas vilain decka nd environment deck.

I think it could be a really cool fan creation for the holidays.

If anyone is interested go check it out.

I think it would be cool to get it together and playtest it so that it was an actually cool little holiday comic based thing.

Pages