The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

A new challenge

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
pricyprovinces
pricyprovinces's picture
Playtester
A new challenge

Since there are certain villains that usually never flip when played against (at least in my experience), I decided to turn it into a challenge for anyone looking for somthing interesting to do in Sentinels. Unfortunatly, I only got a screenshot of one here because I didn't think I would turn it into a challenge at the time. For example, I played against Apostate, the Matriarch, Agent of Gloom Spite, Gloomweaver, Citizen Dawn, and Heroic Infinitor making sure to flip them each before winning.

As a side note, I only used villains already in the video game so that more people could participate.

if life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon. - the scholar, stranger in a strange world #9

Lord Flash Fire
Lord Flash Fire's picture

So you're saying defeat all villains having flipped them? I  almost always get Dawn flipped, same with Matriarch. Apostate and gloomweaver though... This sounds fun. It's on.

" Ever had those days where you have amazing luck,
everything goes right, and you feel like the king of the world...
....And then you wake up?"
-Someone special, 2012

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

The ultimate challenge: Baron Blade.

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

pricyprovinces
pricyprovinces's picture
Playtester

Lord Flash Fire wrote:

So you're saying defeat all villains having flipped them? I  almost always get Dawn flipped, same with Matriarch. Apostate and gloomweaver though... This sounds fun. It's on.

I meant only the villains that don't usually flip during a normal game like the ones I listed but you could fight all of them if you wanted. As for Dawn and Matriarch you could make it a challenge to not flip them if you usually do, but I usually don't so the challenge would be the opposite for me.

if life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon. - the scholar, stranger in a strange world #9

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I've been thinking about doing something like this. Gloomweaver and Heroic Infinitor especially I almost never flip. Apostate, too, and Matriarch is up there (though I just generally try not to fight her anyway).

And then you have other challenges like "beat Spite without him flipping".

Lord Flash Fire

What about ambuscade? I smell Visionary, two Infrared Eyepieces and change.

-Someone special, 2012

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

What, you mean get him down to Final Dive/Sucker Punch HP, wait until he flips and then take him out? XD

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

TakeWalker wrote:

What, you mean get him down to Final Dive/Sucker Punch HP, wait until he flips and then take him out? XD

Wrathful Gaze.  It's more flavorful that way.

FOOLISH MORTAL!! YOU THOUGHT THAT YOU COULD HIDE FROM THE EYES OF A GOD!!!!

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Lord Flash Fire

^This. No, I meant have him not flip. He always pulls out the whatever it is soon.

-Someone special, 2012

jorgenp

Another fun one is defeating Deadline without him ever flipping.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Oof, that's a rough one. Off the top of my head, I'd say that Dark Visionary and Argent Adept are needed, plus someone who can give either of them extra powers.

mightyschoop

The ultimate challenge: defeat Omnitron before he flips (you know, at the start of the first villain turn). Good luck.

The Burning Stickman

mightyschoop wrote:

The ultimate challenge: defeat Omnitron before he flips (you know, at the start of the first villain turn). Good luck.

Rook City Wraith puts Fixed Point into play. Setback puts Friendly Fire into play. Mr. Fixer puts Dual Crowbars into play.

Win.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

That would still be too late. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

just.a.smith

mightyschoop wrote:

Well, obviously stopping Omintron's first flip is literally impossible.  It is possible, however, to beat Omnitrion before it flips a second time (at least in the paper version; the correct characters/variants don't exist in the digital version yet).  Just play a four person team of FV Wraith, any Parse, standard Guise,and any character that can deal damage on the first turn (say, Ra).  Wraith uses her base power, Parse plays Critical Multiplier, Guise plays Uh, Yeah... I'm That Guy!, copying Critical Multiplier, then uses his power to play I Can Do That Too! to copy FV Wraith's power.  Then, when he draws for his turn, discard to make Wraith draw and give Ra a +1 damage.  Wraith draws, and discards to make Guise draw.  Repeat until Ra has +100 trillion damage, and Wraith and Guise have perfect hands, then let Ra unload on Omnitron.  Boom, fried robot.

The Burning Stickman

just.a.smith wrote:

mightyschoop wrote:

Well, obviously stopping Omintron's first flip is literally impossible.  It is possible, however, to beat Omnitrion before it flips a second time (at least in the paper version; the correct characters/variants don't exist in the digital version yet).  Just play a four person team of FV Wraith, any Parse, standard Guise,and any character that can deal damage on the first turn (say, Ra).  Wraith uses her base power, Parse plays Critical Multiplier, Guise plays Uh, Yeah... I'm That Guy!, copying Critical Multiplier, then uses his power to play I Can Do That Too! to copy FV Wraith's power.  Then, when he draws for his turn, discard to make Wraith draw and give Ra a +1 damage.  Wraith draws, and discards to make Guise draw.  Repeat until Ra has +100 trillion damage, and Wraith and Guise have perfect hands, then let Ra unload on Omnitron.  Boom, fried robot.

Unless Omnitron got a Drone out.
just.a.smith

mwc146 wrote:

just.a.smith wrote:
 mightyschoop wrote:

Unless Omnitron got a Drone out.

No one said anything about *winning* before Omnitron's second flip, just killing Omnitron.  =P

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Well then you can kill the drone at your leisure. He can't flip if he doesn't exist.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

I like lists.

Defeated without flipping

Impossible
Omnitron
The Chairman
The Dreamer
Miss Information

Extremely Difficult
Baron Blade
Mad Bomber Blade
GloomSpite
Deadline
Kaargra Warfang
Ambuscade
Skinwalker Gloomweaver

Doable
The Matriarch
Plague Rat
Spite
Akash'Bhuta
La Capitan
Infinitor**
Progeny
Wager Master
Chokepoint
Cosmic Omnitron

Common Strategy
Citizen Dawn
Grand Warlord Voss
Apostate
Iron Legacy
Kismet***

Ridiculously Easy
The Ennead*
Gloomweaver
Heroic Infinitor

*The Ennead gets upgraded to "Doable" on Advanced
** Infinitor gets upgraded to "Extremely Difficult" on Advanced
*** I've never played with Unstable Kismet, so I have no idea where she goes.

These opinions, of course, are my own.  And there's some wiggle room, but I don't think I missed by more than a single category for any particular villain.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Zombie Gloomy should also be in the Extremely Difficult category, providing you are putting Villains there for not flipping due to Unforgiving Wasteland, which is the only way I can see Blade happening, or impossible if not.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Matchstickman wrote:

Zombie Gloomy should also be in the Extremely Difficult category, providing you are putting Villains there for not flipping due to Unforgiving Wasteland, which is the only way I can see Blade happening, or impossible if not.

Yeah, I completely forgot about the Skinwalker.  Yeah, Unforgiving Wasteland is the only way to deal with him or Blade.  But it is technically possible.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Unstable Kismet will beat down the starting character with the highest health on one side (because they have the talisman).  On the other, she gives all the jinxes to the current highest health target.  Your choice here stands for that.

For me, for normal Kismet, I keep her on one side until she gets two or more jinxes.  Then I flip her every time.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

The statistics project now reports the probability of a villain being flipped at least once, and the probability of winning given that the villain did or did not flip.

However, there's a lot of reporting error.  For instance, in an amazing 46% of games in which Miss Information was not reported as having flipped, players said they won.  So take the data with a grain of salt when it comes to edge cases.

Also, regarding Unforgiving Wasteland, is there a ruling about that?  Because it seems to me it wouldn't work, because the character card is always in play before the environment card, so its trigger would occur first, leaving no "would have been destroyed" trigger for the second to act on.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

You can win without flipping a villain like Baron Blade due to Unforgiving Wasteland.  The precedent has been set in the video game.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

MindWanderer wrote:

Because it seems to me it wouldn't work, because the character card is always in play before the environment card, so its trigger would occur first, leaving no "would have been destroyed" trigger for the second to act on.

The order of effects in general is decided by the players, except for start/end of turn effects (which occur in the order the cards entered play).

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island