The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

A Hero's Guide to Expatriette

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
flamethrower49
Playtester
A Hero's Guide to Expatriette

Character Profile

• Best Attack: Unload
  • Best Personal Support: Speed Loading
  • Best Team Support: RPG Launcher
  • Primary Damage Type: Projectile
  • Secondary Damage Types: Fire, Cold, Lightning
  • Worst Card: Shock Rounds
  • Nemesis: Citizen Dawn

Guns make everything better.  Expatriette employs an arsenal with a great deal of firepower, and can use varied ammunition to apply further effects to it.  She can throw down a bunch of cards with her Load power, and has some powerful utility options as well. 

Attack

Guns

Expatriette has access to two of the best unenhanced powers in the game.  First, the Tactical Shotgun deals more damage to a single target than any other power with no preparation necessary.  This is my primary gun of choice.  Assault Rifle releases a spread of bullets at three targets, and is the weapon for mowing down a field of baddies.  

Pride offers something new, allowing you to use a whole extra power – Prejudice.  Unenhanced, firing both of these guns is no more powerful than either the Tactical Shotgun or the Assault Rifle, though the flexibility of acting like either of them is handy.  Pride & Prejudice come into their own when Expatriette has damage boosts available, and especially if she has had time to load them. 

Rounding out her list of guns, the Submachine Gun affects every target, something you need to do sometimes.  This can be a great choice for ammo, since the potential number of targets can eek every bit of advantage out of your cards.  Unfortunately, the low damage can make it an ineffective tool anyway.

Ammo

Ammo is tricky.  In concept, it’s a modular way to enhance her attacks.  In practice, the ammo cards act like so many one-shots.  There are some ways to reuse them, and they can theoretically be placed on a gun for future use.  By nature, the ammo works well on guns that affect multiple targets, as you get more for the play.  As often as not, though, all of my ammo gets poured into the Tactical Shotgun anyway, since I just need single-target damage.

Hollow Points are the big deal here, boosting your guns by two.  Incendiary Rounds are inferior, but I suppose you may be grateful for them against Gloomweaver, Shu, or Gene-Bound Soldiers, or if you’re on a team with Absolute Zero.

Liquid Nitrogen Rounds rock, but they are really limited by their temporary nature.  This can be a great ammo to load into the Submachine Gun to affect the whole field – if you can break through armor, that is. 

Finally, Shock Rounds get a global attack from any weapon.  Since I find that one damage is easily soaked by most villains, I don’t get much use from this.  Like most of Expatriette’s stuff, it has great potential when her damage is boosted.

Tactics

Expatriette has two potential setups to work towards, and they are at odds with each other.

One route is for her to get into a situation where she can Unload for devastating effect.  This means she wants to get out as many of her guns as possible, hopefully with some time to load them to the brim with ammo and accumulate some damage boosts.  When you’re ready, you can play any card during your play phase, play Unload during your power phase (using Load) and fire all of your guns.  Even though Load counts as a power use, you can still fire every gun if you have them, since Pride lets you use Prejudice.  It is turns like this that remind me why I play this game. 

Her other setup involves Speed Loading and any two ammo cards (preferably Hollow Points or Liquid Nitrogen).  This allows you to endlessly recycle and play your ammo for free, letting you get other things done with your play every turn.  While the free play is great, overusing Speed Loading will make you run out of other cards to play.  As a result, this really only works if something is helping you draw.  This conflicts with the Unload plan because you stop drawing new cards and thus can’t find all your guns. 

If you have the card assistance to pull of Speed Loading and not totally stall out, that’s fantastic.  That usually takes specific heroes on your side, though.  I generally build towards Unload by playing out guns, and do fancy Speed Loading tricks if the opportunity presents itself.

Utility

Expatriette’s base power Load is best used when the enemy has turned to defense.  I generally prefer to use my best gun for her power phase, but if that won’t do much, playing two cards or drawing two cards will put her in a good spot going forward. 

RPG Launcher is one of the most powerful and versatile cards of its kind, and Reload lets you extend the usefulness of the good ammunition.  Flak Jacket is her only defense.  It blocks one attack, but it can potentially be for a lot of damage, so try to guess when those big attacks will come.

Quick Draw gets you your unique guns, even out of the trash, so it’s hard to complain about that.  Arsenal Access is usually better, as her main method of deck manipulation.  Sadly, it has a decent chance to offer a class of card you don’t need (Ammo when she needs a gun, or vice versa).  Try to play it when you have a gun out – that way, if you only draw ammo, you have someplace to put it.  Failing that, at least you get to put it in your hand. 

Hairtrigger Reflexes is the last card, and it has some fun applications.  If you’ve never boosted Expatriette by +3 or 4 and watched her waste all of Voss’s minions as they come out of a Forced Deployment, you should try it.  Normally, though, it’s good for a little bit of free damage on everything.  It’s optional, too, so no harm no fowl.  Excuse me.

Weaknesses

More than any other character, Expatriette suffers from a lack of card draw.  She can pull equipment from her deck on a limited basis, but anything else is really hard to find, especially the RPG Launcher.  (You’d think she’d keep that in her Arsenal.)  Her Load power exacerbates the issue, seeming to give her fewer options for the rest of the game.  As consolation, her cards are strong on their own merits, with Tactical Shotgun, Assault Rifle, and RPG Launcher particularly edging out any similar cards in terms of sheer power. 

Expatriette has a fair amount of hit points, but no hit point recovery.  She has only one defense, and that only against attacks of three damage or more.  This makes her especially weak against villains who plan to kill you one or two hit points at a time. 

Teamups

As the two repeating themes in this article point out, you should pair Expatriette with heroes who can let her draw cards or boost her damage.  Legacy, Visionary, and Argent Adept are generally Expatriette’s best friends.  Legacy can also help protect her life total, to mutual benefit.

Expatriette gets a gold star against villains and environments that boost her damage – she’s always been one of the first volunteers for a Plague Rat infection, and there’s not much more satisfying than Unloading on Citizen Dawn.

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

Shock Rounds works best in the sub-machine gun as it will activate everytime you deal damage to a target. This is most effective against a villain with a large amount of high HP targets with no shields (best seen with Akash or if Nuit isn't in play), turning the sub-machine gun into gatling tactical shotgun.

But this is really situational.

"Defeat by Hippocalypse is no shame, Sentinel. For against Hippocalypse even the strong must fall."

ketigid

pcgamerpirate wrote:

Shock Rounds works best in the sub-machine gun as it will activate everytime you deal damage to a target. This is most effective against a villain with a large amount of high HP targets with no shields (best seen with Akash or if Nuit isn't in play), turning the sub-machine gun into gatling tactical shotgun. But this is really situational.

See shock rounds submachine gun ruling here https://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/forum/topic/expatriette-shock-rounds-and-submachine-gun

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

Well then, been playing THAT wrong. (Leaves to add to number of games played incorrectly)

Then, yes, shock rounds are the worst card.

"Defeat by Hippocalypse is no shame, Sentinel. For against Hippocalypse even the strong must fall."

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I wouldn't agree they're the worst card - as always, it's situational. They are fairly useful against hordes, so long as there isn't any DR.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Well, if you just happen to have *ahem hem ahem* environment card in play, then Shock Rounds could be a very very good card, expecially if there is some damage increase for Expatriette.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Cosmonaut Zero
Cosmonaut Zero's picture

Yeah, a couple damage increases make it a force to be reconed with. This is true even against one target since it's a separate packet of damage that can be increased independently. I think it suits its role just fine, and can be quite strong if you have Legacy or another source of +damage around.

This is a Greater than Games forum signature virus. Copy this text, add one to the generation, and replace your signature with this one so that this may take over the multiverse of forum signatures.
Generation: 1

jchavez

Does anyone else think Expatriette is weak? Let's look at some of her cards.

First of all, her ammo cards are awful. They are equivalent to one-shots that do 1 or 2 damage. For a character who's focused on damage, compare this with Tempest's Ball Lightning, Ra's Fire Blast, or even random ThokK! or Elbow Smash. While she has cards that let your re-use her ammo, why would I want to re-use a 1- or 2-damage one-shot?

Her power lets her play an additional card, but this is rarely useful since she has no card draw and little deck manipulation

Quick Draw, her "tutor" card (to borrow a term from MTG), is the only such card that is useless if the card you're getting is already in play. Compare with Ra's Summon Staff, Absolute Zero's Onboard Module Installation, or Wraith's Impromptu Invention. All of these let you search for a card, draw a card, then play a card, so that if the card you want to get is already in play, you can cycle the card for free. Expatriette's Quick Draw does not let you do this; it's dead in multiples or if the guns are already on the table.

Her guns are great, don't get me wrong, but it's really all she has going for her. And if she doesn't draw one in her opening hand, then she's useless. She can't even use her "one-shots" (ammo) for damage. Yes, 4 damage off Tactical Shotgun is great, but not enough to compensate for her weaknesses.

Her ongoings are *okay*, but nothing special. RPG

RPG Launcher is her only utility. It's not bad, but every other character brings more to the table (even Ra can buff your party with Imbued Flame).

To make her competitive, I think her ammo and Quick Draw should be buffed, I'd give her some kind of card draw. Perhaps make Reload draw a card, or Speed Loading draw a card when it comes into play. That would put her on par with the other damage dealers. I really want to like this character, but every time I play her she just feels like a worse version of Ra, Tempest, AZ, etc.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

heh

You're opening up a can of worms here. Rather than wait for replies, go look around the forums -there are 3 or 4 other threads that talk about Expat and Mr Fixer as 'weak' heroes vrs strong. Those converations are why we started the Statistics Project

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Not just Expat and Fixer, but also Absolute Zero, Haka, and Bunker have been cited as the weakest heroes in SotM. Hm... Am I missing any other heroes that recieve a lot of negative comments?

NAL0781
NAL0781's picture
Playtester

I've noticed a slew of negative comments about Expatriette (along with Fixer and Bunker).  Funny, that she is my second favorite character to play with (besides Fanatic).  To be honest though, I never really look at a particular character as weak or strong.  I look at how enjoyable they make the game for me.  Expatriette definitely needs some good teamwork to make her go most of the time.  Her combos can be really fun, especially in conjunction with Argent Adept.  Kinda reminds me of the ultimate combos I could get with Jago in Killer Instinct if anyone catches that reference.  But once you get her going, she definitely makes me glad I picked her (even though 75% of my games are done via random select). 

Khedron
Khedron's picture
Playtester

jchavez wrote:
Does anyone else think Expatriette is weak?

Yes, several people do.  As mentioned, you can look around on these forums to find many thread debating this.  I'll just post a couple quick comments.

jchavez wrote:
Let's look at some of her cards.First of all, her ammo cards are awful. They are equivalent to one-shots that do 1 or 2 damage.

This statement isn't even remotely accurate.  First off, in a worst-case condition, Hollow Points or Incendiary Rounds will only increase her damage by 1 or 2 (which is better than a one-shot that does 1 or 2 damage if the villain has damage reduction (though worse if Expatriette has a damage boost)), but you're ignoring half of her guns, which hit multiple targets.  If there are several minions out, Hollow Points on a Submachine Gun can do a ton of extra damage.  Also, you are completely ignoring Shock Rounds (which is basically the equivalent of a free Submachine Gun power usage), and Liquid Nitrogen Rounds, which can be incredibly usefull on a multi-target gun.

jchavez wrote:
Her power lets her play an additional card, but this is rarely useful since she has no card draw and little deck manipulation

Her power is very usefull to help her get set up faster, then she should be using the powers on her guns instead of her base power.  It prevents her from being a slow-build character.  I will admit she can easily run out of cards in her hand.

jchavez wrote:
Quick Draw, her "tutor" card (to borrow a term from MTG), is the only such card that is useless if the card you're getting is already in play.

Don't forget about Arsenal Access, though it doesn't really give you much control over what you get.

jchavez wrote:
Her guns are great, don't get me wrong, but it's really all she has going for her. And if she doesn't draw one in her opening hand, then she's useless.

Almost half her deck is guns or gun drawing cards (16/40).  The chances of not getting a gun on the first turn or soon thereafter is extremely small.  Many heroes can be screwed over by a bad draw just as easily, if not more so.

jchavez wrote:
RPG Launcher is her only utility.

How can you not consider Hairtrigger Reflexes and Liquid Nitrogen Ammo as utility cards?

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Please, can we keep discussions of the characters in their own topics?  This topic is to discuss Flamethrower's guide specifically.  If you find a mistake or have a suggestion for the guide, this is the place to put it.  Other than that, make a new topic, please.  Thanks.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

What Spiff said. As pointed out, there are several existing threads you can go to to start this discussion, or you can create a new one if you can't find them. These threads are about the best ways to play the character, not about how good the character is.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

ketigid

TheJayMann wrote:

Well, if you just happen to have *ahem hem ahem* environment card in play, then Shock Rounds could be a very very good card, expecially if there is some damage increase for Expatriette.

Say, are you refering to Fixed Point? Then Shock Rounds goes off with *every single shot* fired from Submachine Gun?

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Nope, wouldn't work. Shock Rounds activate 'when [a gun]'s power is used to damage a target', which means only the first time a target is hit. If it didn't mean that then shock rounds would hit with every shot fired from the Submachine Gun even without Fixed Point, since it is only destroyed 'after that power is used'.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

DrScott

So I've hit this guide a couple of times over the last week or two trying to glean a tip or two that will raise Ex above the level of "meh" for me.  I think I just figured out what I could do better: stop hording ammunition.  My tendancy to to view her ammo has extremely difficult to get and so I hang on to it waiting for "just the right moment."  But what I finally realized is that Ex's best ammo manipulation cards involve her trash pile.  I obviously haven't had a chance to play this yet, but I'm pretty sure that once I use and destroy her ammo it actually becomes MUCH easier to use.  And that might just be the bit that pushes Ex over the top for me.  I mean Incendiary Rounds alone can up her Pride and Prejudice or Assualt Rifle damage by 50%, it doubles her Submachine Gun.  Over the course of a game that's a lot of extra DPS.

Hm. . . 

Follow up: Well, I did try her again this last weekend and it was a totally different experience.  Visionary was also out, and she helped Ex out several times with her lovely draw/cull power.  Ex managed to get Speed Loading out in about the 4th or 5th round.  Hollow Points was already in the trash and that card saw a LOT of play.  I will definitely play her a few more times to make sure I can have her be more consistent.  I still wish Arsenal Access was a serach instead of a reveal, though.

"You've got to kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight." B. Cockburn

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Thank you for posting that, DrScott. It's really awesome to see folks learn how to use a hero differently as they start to understand the potential in the cards.

At Origins, I was running demos when a decently-experienced group came up and asked if they could play to get some tips and suggestions (and Sentinels Points wink). They asked to play specific characters and had me play Absolute Zero to see how it went. Turned out, that wasn't the best learning experience of the game, though. One of the group made a comment that The Scholar just doesn't do a lot of damage. Once I lifted my jaw off the table, I asked him to talk about how he played The Scholar. After a short conversation, he started to see the serious potential in the Elementals and other cards, then he proceeded to do some amazing damage.

That kind of revelation is great to see. smiley

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

DrScott

Rabit wrote:

Thank you for posting that, DrScott. It's really awesome to see folks learn how to use a hero differently as they start to understand the potential in the cards.At Origins, I was running demos when a decently-experienced group came up and asked if they could play to get some tips and suggestions (and Sentinels Points wink). They asked to play specific characters and had me play Absolute Zero to see how it went. Turned out, that wasn't the best learning experience of the game, though. One of the group made a comment that The Scholar just doesn't do a lot of damage. Once I lifted my jaw off the table, I asked him to talk about how he played The Scholar. After a short conversation, he started to see the serious potential in the Elementals and other cards, then he proceeded to do some amazing damage.That kind of revelation is great to see. smiley

I haven't played the Scholar a ton, but it's pretty clear to see how he can do some decent damage once he gets water + energy forms out, particularly if he can have someone else feeding him heals too.  OmniX would be a great team mate for this.  I last played him in the same game as Ex and Visonary I mentioned above.  We were vs Matriarch and Scholar's tanking was epic and made the whole game pretty much a cake walk.  I don't think he dealt a single point of damage, and that was just fine.  He also finished the game at full HP (which was a really fun moment in it's own right).

"You've got to kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight." B. Cockburn

pbeaudet99

I didn't know you could fire her guns without ammo! The manual didn't say anything about it. Having ammo in the deck made me think it was necessary like in real life. I know Bunker didn't need any but there was less confusion since he was like a living gun and her cards talk about ammo limits. I thought he might have had unlimited ammo in his suit.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

pbeaudet99 wrote:

I didn't know you could fire her guns without ammo! The manual didn't say anything about it. Having ammo in the deck made me think it was necessary like in real life. I know Bunker didn't need any but there was less confusion since he was like a living gun and her cards talk about ammo limits. I thought he might have had unlimited ammo in his suit.

Sorry you got that impression; that had to really suck! sad

But that's one of the reasons they purposefully word cards the way they do. (As you now know wink) there's nothing on Expat's Guns that says anything about Ammo, except to limit how many can be on them - there's nothing saying they're needed. Everything's explicitly written out, so we don't have to make any assumptions.

The >G folks are big on reading comprehension. smiley

Natediggadoggity

So, with the new release as a video game, with expansions, and Dark Watch Expatriette is soon to be released as an unlock/variant. I'm wondering if anyone has any input on how her variant plays.

(Power - Aim: Increase damage dealt by Expatriette by 1 until the end of your next turn)

I assume that it would give her a much needed buff against damage resistance, but require much more planning and deliberation to play. Save your aim before you use a submachine gun, or your shock rounds, and maybe even considering it when Hairtrigger reflexes is in play. I haven't played with her variant though, so any other good tips, or card combos?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

One I would suggest is that if you three or more guns in play ( in particular Pride and Predjudice) and have Unload in hand that you aim that turn.   On the following turn play Unload, use Aim, then use all the guns but Pride and Predjudice, and then use Pride.   This allows you to use each gun's power and they will all be at +2 damage from Aim.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

It makes Expat a much better last hero than Load, because you can use your power to strengthen your next turn if there is nothing pressing to shoot.

Normally she is a strong second, or even a solid first hero, because of her destruction and high damage for getting past DR.

It changes how you use Unload also, since the P&P combo gives you the ability to use your base power, you can play a gun or ammo when you unload with base Expat, but with Aim you boost all your damave by 1.

If you are setting up for an unload next round (or if a card play will be granted later) use Aim to give you a +1 that you can double up on your Unload.

I prefer Load to Aim myself, because I like the less set-up time for unload.  Aim has more upside, and my wife always plays DW Expat.

A big thing to remember about Expat with RC, is how well she works with Fixer.  Bouncing Assault Rifle shots off Fixer to double up damage or using Salvage yard to fuel your ammo consumption, it is awesome how well they work together, and if Expat incaps her projectile damage ability is insanely good with Fixer.

Dissolv

I'm going to chime in here and say that after playing Expat on the tablet version quite a bit, I have a new found appreciation for what she brings to the table than I did before.  My personal opinion is that the "old view" is somewhat reflected in the OP, which is quite good, but may benefit from just a little more about what Expat does do....

First and foremost, Expatriette is a hero who is about dealing with the threats on the board..NOW.  She has a great mix of cards that provide damaging powers in the form of her guns, and of course the RPG is an incredibly powerful Ongoing/Environment +4 damage card.   Although she relies on equipment, she really only needs one gun out to actually function, so she is both ultra fast to set up, and to recover from equipment/ongoing wipes.   When you compare her to another damage focused hero, like Ra, it can pay dividents to track the damage that they actually do through the course of the game.  Ra can kick out serious damage, but even he has to build for max effect.  A typical first turn for Expat?  Play Assault Rifle and do 6 damage.  A typical first turn for Ra?  Play Staff of Ra, heal 3, then use his base power for 3 damage.  Expat was twice as good as dishing out damage on this turn than Ra, and he is benefiting from his self-boost.  If Legacy had gone first, it would be even more skewed toward Expat -- 9 damage (say 3 of Voss's minions wiped out), versus 3 points of self-healing and 4 points.  Will Ra have "middle turns" where he kicks out double digit damage when Expat is still plinking away for 4 to 6?  Yes he will.  But that's the key point here--Expat is about steady, reliable damage from the beginning to the end.   She specifically excels in a target rich environment--the more targets the better for her.  Submachine gun loaded with recycling Hollow points allows Expat to single handedly defeat a Forced Deployment.  She RPG's the ongoing, then Hair Trigger Reflexes/SMG's the minions. 

And that's not to say that Ex doesn't have self-buffing options.  Ammo recycling or building toward and Unload (or two) greatly beefs up Expat's mid and late game damage.  I personally look for Hair Trigger reflexes as a priority play, as it can wind out accounting for a LOT of damage.  My first tablet victory over the Chairman was largely because a triple boosted Hair Trigger Reflexes utterly trumped the recycle ability of the Underbosses, preventing  any thug from ever getting to do anything once that combo was set up.  And of course she has the ever-valuable RPG, one of the best single cards in the game.  Removing Ongoings simply isn't something that every hero can do, and this card is incredibly flexible for when you are in a jam.

This isn't to say that she is the most powerful hero in the game--far from it.  However she generally gets a "meh" rating from the forum, when she in fact does what she does very well.  She is a damage dealer who sets up fast, recovers from wipes fast, and has a few exceptionally powerful cards, including ongoing and environment removal capability.  She is the hero you want to cover for the "slow build but powerful" hero's like AZ. 

Dissolv

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I would concur.  She may not have the huge single target hits that a Ra might get but she gets out regular damage quickly.   Considering that most of her guns are limited you will get another gun out quickly to maintain damage if one is destroyed.   Also, I don't know of any other hero that has a power use (from equipment or Ongoings) with a base of four damage.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I would concur.  She may not have the huge single target hits that a Ra might get but she gets out regular damage quickly.   Considering that most of her guns are limited you will get another gun out quickly to maintain damage if one is destroyed.   Also, I don't know of any other hero that has a power use (from equipment or Ongoings) with a base of four damage.   

Indeed, and she deserves it as most of her damage is projectile, one of the most resisted in the game (2 Gene Bound Soldiers, Advanced Gloomy and Shu are all immune to projectile damage, the only other types with the same number of cards are melee and cold.)

For the record this is only counting targets who enter play immune to damage, not cards that render other targets immune.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Love for my Expat!

I love Expat, from the first time I downed a first turn Guard with my shotgun, it has been nothing but love.

On advanced, dealing with reduction she becomes even more valuable.  Assault rifle with incendiary rounds bouncing off AZ, Shock rounds in a leaky room, so much fun to be had.

RPG Launcher is awesome.  Destroy an ongoing or deal damage?  Why not both?

Reload is beastly, speed loading is lots of fun, and just ridiculous with extra card draw or Salvage Yard.  She is versatile and stable, few heroes match her damage with 2 cards, she just hurts people.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I love Expat too. Other people may consider her weak, but I don't care. She works for me.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

MightySi
MightySi's picture

I've alays liked Expat, thematically, but never managed to make her work on the table the way i would lke to.

However, I second the sentiment expressed earlier that since she arrived on my iPad I have a whole new appriciation for her mechanically as well.

A five-gun unload is soooo much fun to pull off, and i don't think i ever managed to achive that  with the cards - bad luck I guess.   SETBACK!!!

Dissolv

I think the tablet version gives you a chance to play enough games to see what you are looking for.  It also helps that you can get a ton of 5 hero games in.  I normally play with just my wife in the two hero/three turns between them format.  This makes single focus hero's like Expat and Visionary look weak, and works best when we play we all-rounders, like Tempest + The Naturalist.

Expat definitely plays like a super hero who lacks super powers.  She contributes, but in order to get the most out of her, she needs her teammate's.  Legacy's boosts multiplies the force of her lighter hitting weapons, turning them into beasts, visionary/Wraith take the pressure off of the villian playing "killer cards", many hero's provide card draw or trash fishing that can result in 2-3 Unloads in rapid succession, or just 2-3 RPG's played over and over. 

Her best role is to get off to an early start dishing out damage, let Legacy build defensive combo's, AZ module on up, and so on.  In the middle game these hero's tend to take over, allowing Expat to look at her own set up.  By this time a ton of ammo should be in the trash and she may have a number of guns out as well.  Then it really comes down to--look for an Unload, get the Ammo Recycling going, or just be patient and plink while drawing cards.  Often it is her role to sacrifice cards from either her hand or the table as well--she can replace them so easily compared to many of the other hero's.  It's a tough job to cough up the cards, but it is much better for her to lose a tactical shotgun, than for Legacy to lose his ring, for instance.

Dissolv

Geneticdrift

Shock rounds are great when you have a bonus to damage, as it is a separate attack and gets the bonuses again. So if it beats their damage reduction it can pack a huge kick.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Geneticdrift wrote:

Shock rounds are great when you have a bonus to damage, as it is a separate attack and gets the bonuses again. So if it beats their damage reduction it can pack a huge kick. 

Combine this with DW Expat and someone like Fanatic, who can give her extra power uses, and Aim's boost becomes really scary, since you can turn it into an effective +2 on every instance of damage (more if you've got, say, Greatest Legacy or AA feeding her more Aims).
WarrenAC

Just a bonus ruling that came out of some videogame discussions.  Basically, Pride gives you an extra use of Prejudice via it's power, but note that this can break *any* of the usual rules of power use (not just the obvious "you can use one power in the Power Phase" rule) so for example if you play unload,  another valid use of your powers is to fire all your guns including Prejudice,  saving Pride for last.  When you fire Pride,  you're allowed to fire Prejudice again, even though you have no power uses and you've fired Prejudice before.  This is handy if you don't have anything great to play for Load.  This isn't just for unload either,  any time you have two power uses on the same turn,  if you fire Prejudice before Pride,  Pride will let you fire Prejudice again.  Cases include when Expatriette has Augmented Ally or Embolden, and doesn't have a better gun out.  

--Warren

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yup, this one has been known about for a while...though possibly not mentioned in this particular thread? It is a common tactic to use Unload and use Pride as the final gun, thereby getting a free extra power use in the form of Prejudice :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

And it's even better with DW Expatriette -- Unload, then Aim, then go through your guns saving Pride for last to use Prejudice, too.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

mwc146 wrote:

And it's even better with DW Expatriette -- Unload, then Aim, then go through your guns saving Pride for last to use Prejudice, too.

One of my favorite times with DW Expat.