The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

A Battle Story

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
VanceAttack
A Battle Story

Usually I try not to share my battle stories, but this one is a bit different. First, the setup.

Villain: Citizen Dawn

Environment: Ruins of Atlantis

Heroes: Bunker, Absolute Zero, Legacy, The Wraith and Tachyon

This was the first time playing with this specific group of people for my wife and I. The game had been going fairly well, our Wraith (my wife) had been using Infrared to make sure we didn't get a Devastating Aurora out to clear the board. CD was already invulnerable and we were waiting to get out enough Citizens to flip her back. Upon flipping her back, we had prepped my (Absolute Zero) equipment to dish out some major pain, Bunker's omnicannon was at 28 damage and Tachyon had every burst card from her deck in the graveyard. Suffice to say, when she flipped she was going to die.

Out comes CD's card that pulls out the Citizens from the discard pile. I clear up the unnecessary citizens and we wait for our environment turn. On the environment turn...out comes a Kraken. The Kraken smacks the lowest citizen, killing her. We drew another Citizen that turn, but our real delima was coming up. When the turn came back around to me, I was going to automatically generate four cold damage to all non-hero targets immediately. This would clear the board of Citizens again. Before me was Legacy and Bunker, neither of which could destroy my Ongoing. It was looking very grim for us as we were soon to get an Aurora and we might as well be hosed after all the setup.

My wife then pipes up. "Why not just kill him? Use the omnicannon on Absolute Zero." 

And so they did. I was sitting at 24 HP and our Bunker used Omnicannon for 28 damage. This obviously stopped my Ongoing card from going off and clearing the Citizens and allowed us the opportunity to get Dawn flipped again to finish her off with Tachyon. 

My wife had our team kill me.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Awesome.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Ha. I don't think Absolute Zero would have stood for that. Sacrifice isn't really in his nature. 

I can picture Wraith standing to the side looking at Bunker while insconspicously pointing over at AZ...

j1hopki1

I have asked the AZ player to kill himself so that he was no longer the lowest target. That ensured the Kraken killed Apostate. We were going to get wiped out if he got another turn. But, that wasn't quite as epic as your story, Vance.

Alex
Alex's picture
Playtester

This one guy who played as Tempest kept on trying to get killed because he likes the incapacitated side so much.

I make games! Here's one of them! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/626169

BoardGameGeek interviewed me about my contribution to Shattered Timelines, Kismet! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/17671/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shat...

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

One time, while waiting for some friends to show up so we could hit the bars, we decided to play a quick game against Baron Blade. To make it more silly and fun we added the rule that highest HP at the end of the game would "win" at first the attacks were subtle, with people just sniping ay each other to keep them below their own HP while still taking care of the Baron, but eventually it degraded to a free-for-all... then we decided that each player that became incapacitated would have to buy a round we got to the bars... if we still managed to win. Hilarity ensued, but we all ended up dead. 

We keep talking about playing like this again sometime, but haven't really followed through with it. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

VanceAttack wrote:

Cool story!

Incapacitated doesn't have to mean killed. AZ just needed to stop being active. Maybe Bunker's blast just knocked him far enough away.

ALSO, I like that it was Bunker, the Freedom Five's strategist, who delivered the necessary, incapacitating blow.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

j1hopki1

Alex wrote:

This one guy who played as Tempest kept on trying to get killed because he likes the incapacitated side so much.

I've thought about doing that. Tempest's incapacitated side is OP. One of the effects is better than Legacy's Lead from the Front/Next Evolution combo. I think if we purposely kill Tempest and get Legacy's combo out we can shut down all Melee and Projectile so the Chairman can do nothing. Autowin.

VanceAttack

arenson9 wrote:

VanceAttack wrote:

Cool story!Incapacitated doesn't have to mean killed. AZ just needed to stop being active. Maybe Bunker's blast just knocked him far enough away.ALSO, I like that it was Bunker, the Freedom Five's strategist, who delivered the necessary, incapacitating blow.

It's much more dramatic when you mean it as "Killed" though. Plus, my wife did say "Kill him." Maybe I should consider some marriage counseling since that came so easy to her...