The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

3 Spells

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
3 Spells

A little while ago I was playing a simplified version of DnD with my 6 year old nephew. He had a great time, and when it was over, he wanted to play again. But, it was a little late, so we both sat on the couch and I made up this other game called "3 Spells." The premise was very simple. You are an apprentice wizard, and you only know 3 basic (and silly) spells.  As the story teller, I gave him some scenarios to overcome, and the only way to do it was to use the spells that he knew.

In this game, he had the following spells:

1) Make a little rain cloud that can rain on something.

2) Turn himself into a little girl. (I was curious to see how he would use this.)

3) Turn invisible (his choice).

It was a lot of fun. He turned invisible to get to the dragon, and used the rain cloud so that he wouldn't get burned. With very little rules, it was all about creativity, and he showed a lot of it. At one point, I said he was on the way to the dragon and ran out of food and water. I assumed he would use the rain cloud to get some water, but he had something else entirely in mind. He turned himself into a little girl and went up to everyone saying, "I am lost, I can't find my parents, and I am hungry. Can I have some food?" I couldn't stop laughing, and we both had a great time.

The problem was that afterwards, he wanted to play again, but I couldn't think of any spells off the top of my head. So, I was thinking I ask the forum. If there are enough spells, I could just make a deck of them, and he could draw three at the beginning of the game.

I was also possibly thinking about making a small deck of obstacles, so that we can play together, and I don;t have to be the one telling the story. With more people, you could also add in some basic rules, for example, you can only use each spell once. This could really get the creative juices flowing.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

That's brilliant.

You might want to check out a game called Gentlemen Thieves (I think) which has a very similar kind of thing going on - you have to break into other people's vaults to steal their treasure, narrating how you use the items you have to get past their defences. Not for a 6-year-old possibly, but I was immediately reminded of it.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Hmm... Sounds like a good game for kids.

1. Make someone do 1 thing for you (such as having a guard unlocking a door)
  2. Flight (maybe just a mega jump?)
  3. Transform an item into another (this walking stick is now a huge sword!)
  4. Become a Ronway (the ultimate spell! Once used, anything is possible)
  5. Shroud in darkness (for those stealthy missions)
  6. Creating a wall (closing a path)
  7. Create fire (used to make fires or burn thy foes)
  8. Summon Chocolate Bunny (A chocolate bunny arrives to fight for you, or just eat it when hungry)
  9. Shrink/Grow (because size matters)
  10. Shocky hands (use objects that need electricity to work)
Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Spell ideas:

• Make one non-living item crumble into dust.
  • Turn something bright blue.
  • Cause a person to speak only in a foreign language (that they themselves cannot understand).
  • Control lights/candles/lamps, but only when you're outside the room.
  • Make a non-living item animate, with its own will and basic intelligence.
  • Shrink down to the size of a flea who is extremely tall for a flea.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

My daughter and I used to do stories like that a lot.  She was always a princess and she would get different powers.  She could make a rainbow anywhere, she could make anything into a pony and she could throw apple pie at your face.  Sadly she got into sports and we don't play that much anymore, but she is a good little footballer.

She'll still make a throwing motion and yell "Apple pie on your face!" when I'm acting silly.

For my spells I would take D&D style spells and make them less impressive.  The rain cloud is an awesome spell, I used to be able to make a small light, look around corners, see in the dark, tickle things from range, make an echo, throw a snowball, summon fireworks, turn into a mouse, make someone sneeze, and make anything smell like flowers.  (That last one really annoyed the Trolls)

She would often come up with great uses for my spells, and often steal them for herself in a later story.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Wow! Lot's of great ideas here. Keep them coming...please.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker
  1. Wiggly Arms (someone's arms wiggle uncontrollably)
  2. Summon Bigger Fish (summons a bigger fish that will eat the big fish)
  3. Deus Ex Machina (random event happens that is always good for the caster)
  4. Exploding Cupcake (creates a cupcake that will explode when thrown)
  5. Extended Blinks (blinks take 5 or so seconds to complete)
  6. Make Bald (someone's hair falls out, imagine if used on an animal)
  7. Spiciest Dish (creates a food item so spicy, that the eater with breathe fire)
  8. Pantsing (cause pants to fall without worning)
  9. Field of Legos (the floor becomes littered with lego blocks, watch where you step)
  10. Destiny Coin (can't think of a good way to put this. So an example will have to do. You come across a fork in the road on the way to the dungeon, cast Destiny Coin on the super awesome coin, heads is left and tails is right. Flipping the coin will tell the way to go.)
BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester
  • Give somebody hiccups
  • Breathe fire
  • Not need to breathe
  • Erase minor parts of people's memories
  • Speak the language of rabbits
  • Speak the language of Rabits
  • Make things ever-so-slightly bigger/smaller
  • Create animal noises
  • Conjure gusts of wind
  • Make small golems out of nearby objects

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Speak the language of Rabits

What kind of unholy powers are you peddling?

Next thing we know you'll be telling us about this great opportunity waiting for us if we join Ronway.

Oh, a variant on that sneeze spell:

Make any target allergic to something else.  My daughter made a door allergic to the wall, it sneezed open.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Haha!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Anyone up for trying some of these ideas here? We just need one storyteller and a few players.

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I would be interested in this :D

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester
  • Tickle someone without touching them
  • Make music come from nowhere (a DnD joke. The Bard has Summon Background Music)
  • Be able to have a short conversation with an inanimate object
  • Change a part of someone's outfit
  • Summon Hat
  • Make a small tunnel (big enough to crawl through)

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

phantaskippy wrote:

Next thing we know you'll be telling us about this great opportunity waiting for us if we join Ronway. 

Great opportunities await those who seek enrichment by following The Way of the Ronway. We follow a simple guideline that was developed to enhance the experience of life. If you are looking to get the best of life, make plans to visit your local Way of the Ronway recruitment center.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Haha. Ronway sounds just like my mom used to say "wrong way" (with a heavy Spanish accent). 

"No mijo... donn go ther... dats thee ronway!!"

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

jagarciao wrote:

Haha. Ronway sounds just like my mom used to say "wrong way" (with a heavy Spanish accent). "No mijo... donn go ther... dats thee ronway!!" 

You sure she wasn't saying Ronway this entire time?

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Pydro wrote:

Anyone up for trying some of these ideas here? We just need one storyteller and a few players.

OMGYES!

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I could give it a go, unless someone else wants to run the story.

I don't know if we would want a more serious story or a silly one, mine have always been with my daughter so they always involved kittens, dragons, princesses, little bear and lots of silliness.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

phantaskippy wrote:

I could give it a go, unless someone else wants to run the story.I don't know if we would want a more serious story or a silly one, mine have always been with my daughter so they always involved kittens, dragons, princesses, little bear and lots of silliness.

Sounds perfect. Everything's better with kittens and dragons and princesses and little bear and silliness!

Damn it, Ronway!

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

The more ridiculous the spells the better too. Nothing that has obvious uses

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies
  • Create a kitten
  • Create a kitten-sized dragon
  • Create a kitten-sized Ronway

Damn it, Ronway!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

This does indeed sound fun :D. Many of the spell ideas people have suggested have reminded me of various magic talents from the Xanth series. Let me see if I can suggest some random abilities myself...

Cause a few words/lines of text (or an image) to appear on the wall

Be able to make a certain animal noise, or force someone else to do so (so they can only, for example, quack like a duck instead of using words)

Turn part of your body (or someone else's) into that of another species (eg your feet into horse hooves or your ears into those of a cat)

Cause an illusory hole to appear in the ground

Cause an actual hole to appear in the ground

Change a plant or creature into a different but related species (eg a lion into a tiger, an oak tree into a horse chestnut)

Be able to stack up dice/pebbles etc without them falling over

Remove all light from the surrounding area

Cause everyone to have a certain response (eg say a certain phrase, stop to tie their shoelaces, dance a little jig) whenever you say a particular word/phrase (good for distracting guards or something ;))

Summon your own theme music whenever you enter a room full of people

Change the appearance/colour of your clothing (change your clothes without actually...changing your clothes! ;))

Omg I could go on, but it's half past one so probably should stop and finish checking my forums so I can go to bed ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

phantaskippy wrote:

I could give it a go, unless someone else wants to run the story.I don't know if we would want a more serious story or a silly one, mine have always been with my daughter so they always involved kittens, dragons, princesses, little bear and lots of silliness. 

I was going to volunteer you, anyways. Right now, we have:

StoryTeller: phantaskippy

Players:

BluehairedMeerkat

Silverleaf

Me

Anyone else want in?

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

I'll play

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

OK, I'll do a round.

Will be up soon.  I will need to limit the number to four people.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Any rules or guidelines for this game?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

Any rules or guidelines for this game?

There will be,

There.  Will.  Be.

(Duh duh duh!)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Me-me-me-me-me-me! Wants to play teh game plzzzz! ;)

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Let's say I want to put these ideas onto cards, anyone know the best way? Is there some template I can just type these up in and print them out?

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

I'd be up for this as well. Maybe we could get two groups going?

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.