The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

20 Things I've Learned from the Multiplayer Beta

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pulseglazer
Playtester
20 Things I've Learned from the Multiplayer Beta

1. I'm about average, maybe a touch above with the Argent Adept, but playing with an A+ Argent player makes for a totally different game. In the right hands, he becomes easy mode.

2. In almost any hands, Dark Visionary creates easy mode. Combining her on a team with certain heroes is almost unfair. She's also like a cheat code vs. Dawn. People, for some reason, seem to really like Foresight though. I still have yet to see it be used well.

3. I am really good with Nightmist (probably my best character actually, but people freaking panic when they see her (or DW Fixer) on the team. Unless the player is a troll or doesn't know what they're doing, they should relax.

4. A lot of people who play tanks worry way too much about HP early game. They're highest HP and spend a ton of time healing and trying to stay in the 20s. Nightmist players do this a lot too, at 22 hp and discarding for Starshield. I don't get it. DW Nightmist causes mildly less panic, but is still less effective (but very, very good).

5. Absolute Zero is a tank who I'm better with than I thought, but with the right teammates, particularly either Fixer or Visionary, he hits a whole new level. Also, Coolant Blast is fantastic.

6. SST owns the Chairman hardcore. This is even better, too, with Dark Visionary, but by no means is that needed. Tachyon with strength boosts may be the easiest hero to really own and control a board with.

7. People largely suck with Unity. They time robots poorly and don't skip turns enough. They also rarely seem to use Flash Forge to get Stealth/Swift.

8. People love Fanatic. She's in 80% of my games, it feels like. Reedeemer seems to be more effective without strength boosts from a hero or the environment.

9. Expatriette is popular and generally played well. Very few people use her Speed Loading combos for whatever reason.

10. Most seem to have no idea what the heck to do with Cosmitron and he often beats teams due to bad decisions. The same is true, though to a lesser extent with alternate Blade and Gloomy.

11. No one plays Spite, as it should be.

12. Matriarch is way more fun with a team than when you're clicking 50 times alone. That makes me happy.

13. Apostate is ridiculously swingy. He can ownt he board with crazy plays or just fall apart immediately.

14. Generally, with a competent team, on normal mode Apostate, Blade, Ambuscade, Ennead, Gloomy, Cosmitron, Akash, and Plague Rat are easy. Alternate Blade, Alternate Gloomweaver, Dawn, Matriarch, and Voss are medium, and Cosmitron and Chairman are hard.

15. Advanced changes things a lot, but people tend not to want to play advanced besides both versions of Blade, the Ennead, Dawn, Ambuscade, and the Chairman. I think, besides Ambuscade and Chairman, that's because those advanced modes are so well designed and really make the game feel difference. Ambuscade is because he's so painfully easy and Chairman is due to his advance mode being harder.

16. Everyone wants to play in the Tomb of Anubis and Realm of Discord. Is it because they're new? I love Silver Gulch!

17. Horus Ra is really good control and has a ton of cool combos. He spends a lot of time using Flesh to protect the team in certain environments or if teamed with Vis.

18. Heroic Interception is better than I thought. It really does win games fairly often.

19. Mr. Fixer with any kind of help drawing cards is just insanely good. If he gets out combos, he can redirect a ton of damage and just save the team. The Crowbar change also means he can do a ton of damage... he's just great. It's hard for me to imagine why people thought he was so weak. Everyone seems to be at least good with him.

20. People rarely play: Alternate Wraith, Tachyon, and Bunker. I wonder why. 

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Thoughts:

5) Ronway will disagree with you.  Don't listen to him!

7) Yeah, my standard first turn play w/ Unity is Flash Forge, discard my hand for Swift, Stealth, and a Construction Pylon

12) I played Matriarch in a multiplayer game once.  Never. Again.  (At least until they streamline it a bit).  The clicking prompted when you nuke the field takes even longer than when you're on your own.

20) Tachyon?  Is this a typo?

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I agree on 13.   If Apostate hits a Profane Summons that turns into Corrupted Effigy and Delirium Orb the game gets a rough.  If a Tome of the Unknowable comes out with it that is only icing on the cake.  

I've played Nightmist a few times and I don't think I've encountered anyone panicing.   I can understand DW Fixer a bit only because people don't like the fact that you could destroy their stuff without their input.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:
I can understand DW Fixer a bit only because people don't like the fact that you could destroy their stuff without their input.

So can Unity. Have you ever seen anyone do it (in the app)? I've seen it happen on zero occassions. Nightmist Oblivion-ing without asking others if they're OK with taking damage on the other hand...

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Can you expand on point 6? Is there a reason Super-Scientific Tachyon is particularly good against The Chairman?

Pulseglazer
Playtester

SST is really good at using Experiment on the Chairman. If she goes first, that's plenty of time to take out any mistakes.  It's also an amazing way to get rid of Prison Breaks.

I've never seen regular Tachyon. SST? All the time.  No one is playing vanilla Tachyon in games I've seen.

I play Nightmist in about a third of my games. At least once a night, people start making sub-optimal plays to save HP for her.  I try and remind them it's only one card and I'll ask first, but am not always listenned to.

I've occasionally seen people refuse to work together but never to the point of eating other's equipment without permission.  

morph147

dpt wrote:

Can you expand on point 6? Is there a reason Super-Scientific Tachyon is particularly good against The Chairman?

a lot of sst attacks are attack everything attacks. If you play legacy and ra with her and get all the attack boosts, plus somehow play her card that negates damage, you can essentially do 4 damage to everything and then the operative and the chairman can not retaliate 

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Something I wish the multiplayer had was a kind of "lobby" chat room, which you could enter (or are automatically placed in) when just on the main Multiplayer screen which tells you what games (if any) are available. Every time I log in it seems there are a very small number of people (no more than five, if that) in games or looking for games. I try sitting at the "create a game" screen to see if anyone will pop in but so far, no luck. I tend to give it a minute or two, then get bored and log off. If there was a chat room at the multiplayer "lobby" then people could actually have communication from the start and sort themselves into games :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

morph147 wrote:

dpt wrote:

a lot of sst attacks are attack everything attacks. If you play legacy and ra with her and get all the attack boosts, plus somehow play her card that negates damage, you can essentially do 4 damage to everything and then the operative and the chairman can not retaliate 

Actually it's because she can experiment on the chairman and get rid of the under bosses faster, put her first in turn order and if two under bosses do come out you don't get their thugs and have the rest of the round to deal with them.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I agree on 13.   If Apostate hits a Profane Summons that turns into Corrupted Effigy and Delirium Orb the game gets a rough.  If a Tome of the Unknowable comes out with it that is only icing on the cake.

Had an in-person game where that happened on the first turn, along with the Ruins of Malediction. He had almost his whole deck on the table by the time we were able to start knocking out relics thanks to that darned 2 DR and a lack of buffers.
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Pulseglazer wrote:

20. People rarely play: Alternate Wraith, Tachyon, and Bunker. I wonder why. 

The only reason I wouldn't play normal Bunker in certain games is this:

mwc146 wrote:

Had an in-person game where that happened on the first turn, along with the Ruins of Malediction. He had almost his whole deck on the table by the time we were able to start knocking out relics thanks to that darned 2 DR and a lack of buffers.

G.I. Bunker is built (litterally) for these kind of situations. I'd never go into a game against Voss, Dawn, Apostate or almost any other villain that is known for laying out thick DR without him. And teaming him up with Grandpa Legacy or AA makes him even more useful, letting him open up more and more targets. Ad that to all the offensive power he can dish out, and you've got a solid offensive/utility style character.