The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

2 Vengeance vs 2 heroes

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
tzgardner
2 Vengeance vs 2 heroes

Has anyone tried playing a 2v2 game Vengeance style?

I played a game last night Parse and Knife vs Baron Blade and Fright Train in the Block environment.  Went very well.  We did end up losing but it was close.  Fright Train was incapacitated and Baron was down to 13 HP before we lost.  We counted H=3 whenver it came up.  Seemed pretty balanced to me.  Has anyone tried this and it not be so balanced?  Big win or big loss?  Curious to know others experience with this.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

My boyfriend and I tried this right after it came out. Worked pretty well.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I imagine it would depend on the heroes (and probably the environment), but I could see it working. Might have to try it some time.

Of course, FT & BB are the toughest of the V5 villains, so there is that. smiley

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I've done 2v2 and the balance seems fine.  I left H as 2 and technically the game is setup to do just two players but most villains seem balanced better around 3-4

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I left H as 2 and technically the game is setup to do just two players but most villains seem balanced better around 3-4

I might have misunderstood you, but the game is balanced for 3-5 heroes; it can be played with 2 players if one or both are playing a second hero. Obviously, we're talking homerules, here, but... wink

In any case, GTG has stated H is only balanced at 3, 4, or 5.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If you want to have some fun set H to pi. Talk about mathy.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

My experience in playing is that most villains hit a good difficulty at 4 heroes.  Where does it list to use H as 3 for doing doing two heroes?  I don't think I've seen that before

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Page 11 of the Enhanced Edition rulebook. Under the section labelled "Advanced Play"

Two experienced players can play Sentinels of the Multiverse if one or both of them play as two heroes each.

However Vengeance villains are slightly different. At one point during playtesting, Christopher stated that he would like for the Vengeance villains to be balanced for 2 versus 2. Like all games of Sentinels of the Multiverse, different hero combinations will have an easier time than others.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Here's one place: https://greaterthangames.com/comment/25463#comment-25463

EDIT: Doesn't count as being ninja'd since I quoted Ronway.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Pydro wrote:

EDIT: Doesn't count as being ninja'd since I quoted Ronway.

Yeah, that's fair. wink

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I can say that when we made Vengeance format conversions for the regular villains we did (H)=3 as the rule for all the (H) based villain cards.  That is where it balanced best.

TheEternallyUnd...
TheEternallyUndyingOne's picture

tzgardner wrote:
Has anyone tried playing a 2v2 game Vengeance style?

I did KNYFE and Parse vs. Fright Train and Friction (advanced) in Freedom Tower one time; it did not improve my losing streak against the Vengeance villains.  My impression has overwhelmingly been that the key to beating Vengeance is to take out Vengeance villains one at a time, in the order of their dangerousness both alive and dead (probably ideal is Proletariat, then Ermine, then Fright Train, then Friction and the Baron in some order, though there will always be details which can vary it).  Having only two heroes meant barely even having enough dakka to take down one villain (who helps you take him down by giving you +1 damage on each of your turns, so despite his high HP he's not hard to take down - the problem is that you keep taking damage even after he's out); I lost KNYFE at about the same time Train went down, and I was left with pretty much no ability to deal with Friction.

I really think adding even one more hero, along with one more villain, would have made the game much more balanced and probably given me a chance.  Still, I'll probably try the 2-hero game again sometime; it certainly worked better than the Freedom Six vs. Iron Legacy with an H value of 6.