The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

1,000 Years of Bad Luck

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nepycros
1,000 Years of Bad Luck

So, I think one of the greatest features of a digital adaptation for a card game is the removal of physical limitations. Namely, those involving Tokens of an Unlucky sort. They allow for some really ridiculous experiences.

Namely, the 1,000 Years of Bad Luck combo. You might be wondering, "Who on earth is insane enough to accumulate 1,000 Unlucky Tokens in a single game session?"

Could not tell you off the top of my head.

The good news is, we know the unlock conditions for Dark Watch Setback aren't related to having 1,000 tokens in the pool.

The better news is, with 2 High-Risk Behaviors out, anything you touch is vaporized.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

How did you even

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Nepycros

I think my hero composition speaks for itself. Ra and Haka combined to make it so Haka could eat everything in the environment and villain decks. Ra and Grandpa Legacy made it impossible for Voss' damage to get through. Ra + Flesh of the Sun God made Setback's self-damaging effects null. Grandpa Legacy and Argent Adept helped to speed up the process of accumulating tokens.

Once I settled on a particular method, I was able to gain 30 Unlucky tokens per round.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

You think 1000 is high someone on Steam went even further http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=767719887

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Alternatively, I think that Dual Crowbars, Friendly Fire, and Fixed Point make a repeatable loop, limited only by the number of times you're willing to click "yes, I want to shoot Setback in the face "

Edit:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

You think 1000 is high someone on Steam went even further http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=767719887

do you have any idea how that was achieved? That's an average of over 4000 tokens per second since Setback was released last Friday.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Except he has to actually take DAMAGE to get tokens from Friendly Fire. And in the picture up there, he was at full health.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

McBehrer wrote:

Except he has to actually take DAMAGE to get tokens from Friendly Fire. And in the picture up there, he was at full health.

My suggested combo wasn't related to the posted one. For one thing, the posted one was not in the Time Cataclysm.
My suggestion was meant to be an alternative method of reaching high token counts easily.

Nepycros

I'm a little surprised, and now I'm curious how they managed to accumulate 2^31-3 tokens. It feels as if they used some exploit, though if they simply assigned a repeated pattern of interactions over a solid week, I can see them eventually getting 2 billion tokens...

Who am I kidding, it's barely been a week and someone got to 2 billion tokens legitimately? I'm very skeptical. ESPECIALLY since they are fighting a villain whose repeated damage isn't being prevented.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Looks like a bug, or an edited save file. I haven't seen a report yet.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Is there some way for Setback to gain an exponentially growing number of tokens? None of the effects in his deck seem conducive to it.

Powerhound_2000

High Risk Behavior and Looking Up will generate tokens but based on the screenshot I'm not sure what happened to accomplish that and still survive.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Nepycros

Even my method of continuous generation only managed to produce 30 per round: Grandpa Legacy would play Bolster Allies, then use Gung-Ho to make Setback Risk into a Fumbling Fool for a total of 6 tokens (in a 5 man team). Then, on Setback's turn, he gains 2 off High-Risk Behavior, 5 off of a Fumbling Fool, and 6 off of Risking into a Fumbling Fool again for 13 in that turn. Argent uses Telamon's Lyra to have Setback Risk into Fumbling Fool for 6, and then play another Fumbling Fool for 5 (11), for a grand total of 30 tokens per round. It's not optimal, since there are other things one can do, but this required so few interactions to achieve such high return I went with it.

If someone exceeded 30 tokens per round, in a fight against Plague Rat, IN A 3 MAN TEAM, I have to know how.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Forget 30 tokens per round.  To reach 2,147,483,645 tokens in a week requires gaining more than 4,000 per second.

To gain that many tokens legitimately in a reasonable period of time (at the rate of 1 token per second, it would require 68 years) requires exponential growth, like what I used to break AZ's damage limits.  Exponential growth requires a token gaining effect that gains a variable number of tokens dependant on the number of tokens you currently have.  The only variable token gain Setback has is Fumbling Fool, which is dependant on H, which is fixed during the game, and never exceeds 5.  There are variable effects that remove any number of tokens, but those are not useful for gaining tokens.

So... bug or hack is more likely.  The proximity to a power of 2 suggests some sort of roll-under effect to me, although it's hard to guess how they would achieve such a thing.  I really wish we knew who the third hero was.

Powerhound_2000

Powerhound_2000

This screenshot from the same person in the same game mentions negative wraparound in their caption http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=767720128

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

2,147,483,645 = 2^31 - 3. Assuming a 4-byte (32 bit) integer using the first bit to denote positive/negative, that looks like someone either programatically or through some sort of editting reached negative 3 and then lost the first bit.

So, negative wraparound, indeed.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The screenshot author commented and confirmed it was a save file edit. So Nepycros you own the legitimate crown =)

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island