The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Flamethrower49's Strategy

120 posts / 0 new
Last post
waedens
Playtester

Wait where is Fanatic?

fba827

waedens wrote:

Wait where is Fanatic?

It's linked in the first post -- it's just done by a different person than the group at the top, which is why you have to scroll down a bit to see it.

Is having fun saving the multiverse

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I'm loving these guides, but I have one question: Any chance we can get an How-to-defeat Akash-Bhuta guide?

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Phantom5613 wrote:

I'm loving these guides, but I have one question: Any chance we can get an How-to-defeat Akash-Bhuta guide?

Don't play in the wasteland. Or any environment with a lot of targets. 

And you win. 

Guides by Foote. 

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

You can win in those environments. It will probably just involve using End of Days a couple of times.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

He's just saying that if you play in an environment without lots of targets, AB is easy to beat. I concur. We always specifically choose target-rich environments to make her more challenging. 

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I ask because each and every time I've fought her, I've lost. She's now the enemy we avoid, even more so than the Matriarch or Chairman.

What areas make her easier? I guess Pike Industrial works, but that's all I can think of for low-target enviroments.

Also what's the best team-ups to go against her? Strategies? Stuff like that.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

She's not too strong in Megalopolis, andthe Realm of Discord doesn't have too many targets. Atlantis only has the Krakens and the Mystical Defenses. I don't think she'd be too hard in the Time Vortex, but I haven't done that combination a lot.

Fanatic is a good choice against her because End of Days can wipe out all of her limbs and do serious damage if you're overrun. Haka can also be great because Savage Mana lets you destroy limbs twice, effectively doubling your damage against her. Characters like Nightmist and Tempest can also be very good since they have very effective attacks that hit multiple targets.

ketigid

Nielzabub wrote:

Haka can also be great because Savage Mana lets you destroy limbs twice, effectively doubling your damage against her.

Can't find the thread where I read it but cards under Savage Mana has no text and will not trigger on destroyed the second time.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

You are correct on the cards not doing damage a second time because the card text is blank, but the card type remains, and so you can still do things like have Bunker draw twice from Ammo Drop. Savage Mana is still good against Akash though, you can get some limbs temporarily out of the way, and so some decent damage with them.

Drakossozh

Akash'bhuta can be easy to destroy: all you have to do is focus on her limbs. She basically ends up killing herself. Choose high-damage characters like Ra, Haka, Tempest, etc. The MVP against Akash is, as has been mentioned, Fanatic. End of Days just kills her. In the case of Haka, Rampage works wonders, expecially when used in conjunction with Savage Mana. Just resign yourself to a long hard slog; don't fix for one big shot. You gotta plink >___< At least, until you End of Days her away.

Hmm. I've also often found Nightmist to be very useful against her. Oblivion!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

This is not a topic to discuss general AB strategies, it's for discussing Flamethrower's guides.  If we want to continue discussing AB strategy, we should probably take it to its own topic so this one doesn't get too gummed up.

(I shouldn't have tossed in my comment about AB strategy either ;)

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Well, a guide for her should be written up then...

Not so subtle hint.

flamethrower49
Playtester

Pydro's amazingly in-depth Bunker guide has finally been added to the first post.  Amazing work, good sir.

flamethrower49
Playtester

I'm not looking forward to revising my guides to account for ruling 15.  :)  Nonetheless, it will happen.

Drakossozh

A question. Would there be space or interest in a new NightMist guide? See, I've been thinking about writing one since she's my favorite hero (thus far anyway), but since she's been around a long while, I'm worried that writing one would be...superfluous. Thoughts?

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Misty is my favorite as well at the moment; I haven't read the existing guides, and might not read yours either, but in general I think a hero as complex as her deserves a good bit of talking about.  So put me down as one vote in favor, but of course you'll want to hear multiple opinions before you decide.  Ultimately, it's your time and trouble that you'll be investing, so I'd say wait for an uproarious degree of approval before committing.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Don't be worried about the game being "too old." IR is being reprinted, so there will be a large influx of new NM players. As long as you have the time and are willing to write it, write it. Even if you know everything, pyutting the words down could make you a better NM player. I originally wrote the Bunker guide for myself. I wanted to see what his options really were. While I am still confused, just putting the words down did help me understand him a little better.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Kingofsouls

I'm working on a guide for Baron balde (and his alternate form Mad Bomber Blade) I know Baron Blade is the easiest villain but Baron Blade can still pull victories out of his Hammerspace if your not careful.

Programming is like Life: Complicated and too many rules.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

I might enjoy writing one of these guides (especially since doing the necessary research would give me an excuse to play more, without it being an entirely self-serving exercise).  Who's a hero that you think deserves more attention than they've gotten in the existing guides?  Preferably a hero who isn't in RC or IR, since I don't have those and can only play those heroes at my friend's house.  (Those are admittedly the heroes most likely to need such guides for the reason Pydro mentions, but perhaps The Scholar would work since he's also not in the EE?)

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"

Drakossozh

King of Souls, I think a BB guide would be a perfect addition to our growing collection of guides. Baron Blade is often the entry point villain of most, if not all, people, so a guide on how to beat him would really come in handy.

Also, I have lost against old BB more times than I would care to admit, so yeah, a guide would be great :D

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

I still think that at least Advanced BB is more dangerous than Advanced Omnitron (at least outside of environments that play villain cards...Rook City and Ruins of Atlantis are probably places Omnitron is dangerous even on regular, and I can't think of any like that for Blade).

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I still have never lost to Blade.  He has all those great cards, but it never seems to avail him when I am involved in a game, even when I just run the villain deck and boost him up to ridiculous toughness.  Curse you Freedom 5!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Blade has beaten us what feels like an embarrassing numebr of times lately - he even achieved Moonfall against us once. The main bane of our existence? Devious Disruption. And one time he managed to play it three times (due to trash-into-deck shuffle on flipping)! Bah :P.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

logan_mann

I have seen requests for this sort of thing over on BGG. I know you've linked these there in a thread before. Any chance of finishing the series? These are THE BEST How Tos I've ever seen. I've directed several people to the BGG page about these.

Awesome work Flamethrower.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Has anyone put together strategies for the new vengeance heroes?

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

There's a great Setback guide that's just been posted on the SotM wiki.

I'm debating writing one on KNYFE and possibly The Sentinels or Parse after that, but I'd like to get some more games with all of them under my belt before I feel qualified in writing a guide.

Edwin

I'm just about to start work on a Naturalist guide, though I expect it will require improvement since I've never written such a thing before, and have played Natch only twice (plus seen him played in a third game), one of those being a solitaire game (which I lost).  I'm quite surprised that some of the Kickstarter backers, who've had Vengeance for like two months, haven't done this already.  But since a void exists, I figure I might as well take my best stab at digital immortality.  And it's convenient that my favorite of the five new hero decks is also, apparently, the one that neither Donner nor PW has any plans regarding.

Welp, here goes nothing....

"I'm starting to feel comic books lack realism."
"Master of Understatement: Level Up!"
--Two nearly-consecutive (in the other order) quotes from the webcomic "Grrl Power".

Pinecone3
Pinecone3's picture
Pinecone3
Pinecone3's picture

Is it possible (seeing as Flamethrower has gone dark for over 10 months) that one of the Moderators could move these to the first post on this thread?  Flamethrower offered to do it himself back in the day, as you can read there, so I don't think it would go against the Thread's initial intentions.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

you have been wiki'd!

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Pinecone3
Pinecone3's picture

lynkfox wrote:

you have been wiki'd!

I appreciate it laugh

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Pinecone3 wrote:

Is it possible (seeing as Flamethrower has gone dark for over 10 months) that one of the Moderators could move these to the first post on this thread?  Flamethrower offered to do it himself back in the day, as you can read there, so I don't think it would go against the Thread's initial intentions.

Done!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Pinecone3
Pinecone3's picture

Thank you!

Kingofsouls

Behold, a guide to Captain Cosmic!

By me. Hope you all enjoy it.

Programming is like Life: Complicated and too many rules.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Newly updated, it's...The Warlock's Guide to Promo Characters!  Now featuring the Prime Wardens variants and the heroes from Wrath of the Cosmos!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I have to admit that less than a week after people start receiving WotC, I'm surprised we're already getting guides about the WotC heroes.  Doesn't seem like enough time has passed for non-playtesters to get enough experience with the characters to actually be able to tell others how best to play them.  Must be a lot of Captain Cosmic games going on out there in the world. :)

Also, is Flamethrower's guide topic the place we announce other people's guides now, or should those be in their own topics?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Spiff wrote:

Also, is Flamethrower's guide topic the place we announce other people's guides now, or should those be in their own topics?

flamethrower49 wrote:

If you have a bit of strategy you would like to see linked here, let me know, and I can add it.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

That's the answer to my question then. :)

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Has there been one for Scholar yet? If not, I'd like to try my hand at it. I didn't see a Flamethrower guide, but wasn't sure if there was one I missed.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

xThe Killswitch wrote:

Has there been one for Scholar yet? If not, I'd like to try my hand at it. I didn't see a Flamethrower guide, but wasn't sure if there was one I missed.

I wrote a Scholar guide, but it was never added to this thread. I've seen one or two though. Gotta search for them.

Edit: Links to Scholar Guides for the lazy

https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/the-total-amateurs-guide-to-the-scholar-3535

https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/advanced-alchemy-a-guide-to-the-scholar-engine-4306

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Can't wait for a propper guide to Guise and Sky-Scrapper :)

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

What's wrong with the improper guides we have now?

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I haven't seen ANY guide for either of those two yet on this forum. I might be nearsighted, but I don't think I'm totally blind yet. But if I'm wrong, then feel free to point me in the right direction to those guides

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Phantom5613 wrote:

I haven't seen ANY guide for either of those two yet on this forum. I might be nearsighted, but I don't think I'm totally blind yet. But if I'm wrong, then feel free to point me in the right direction to those guides

My guess is there is some confusion around the use of the word 'proper' in the phrase 'proper guide', as American and British meanings are not precisely the same.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

arenson9 wrote:

Phantom5613 wrote:

My guess is there is some confusion around the use of the word 'proper' in the phrase 'proper guide', as American and British meanings are not precisely the same.

I didn't realise that there was a difference.  Can you explain it for me?

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

I think was was meant was proper as opposed to informal  vs proper as opposed incomplete

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Asking for a favor: can someone collect the links to any guides not in the first post for me, so I can put them in?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

ChronoRanger_101
ChronoRanger_101's picture

Pages