The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Spiff's Tactics accessories <Best Player Aid Idea 2014 Award Winner>

117 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

phantaskippy wrote:

I assume it looks good fromt he opposite side.That's actually a pretty good job.

It looks fine from the other side but not quite as good.  From the side showing in the pic, you can see that the hexes curve towards the viewer, which helps make the top arm of the "F" be an appropriate length compared to the rest of the building.  From the back, those hexes are curving away from the viewer which enlongates the effect and makes the top arm look too long.  It still looks like an "F" and it still looks fine, just not as good.

Pydro wrote:

What's the next project?

Dunno.  There seems to be enough interest in the terrain that maybe I should get started on Insula Primalis terrain now that Megalopolis is done.  I should also maybe get started organizing what I'll need for the WotC accessories and making placeholder stuff so I can drop in the final art and text once it's available.  And then there was that request for small versions of the Vengeance villains.  If people have votes about any of that or something else they wish I'd make, I'd be open to hearing them.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Geek and Sundry just put up a video to make a DnD dice tower: http://geekandsundry.com/vlogs/e/diy-dd-dice-tower/paul-mason-the-diy-guy

Can you use that to make a template for a Tactics one?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Pydro wrote:

Can you use that to make a template for a Tactics one?

I could totally make a Tactics dice tower (probably), but I'd do it with cardstock not foamcore which would probably make assembly easier.  It should work OK, I think.  No way to know until I try.

However, that's probably not higher priority than a full set of Insula Primalis terrain, yeah?

Barryzimm

I'm ready for Insulis Primalis. smiley

Spiff
Spiff's picture

The terrain file on my site now contains a complete set of Megalopolis buildings, including a bonus - my playtest version of the Freedom Tower, back when I thought it would be a single-hex building.

Barryzimm

Anything new coming?

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Oy, I was just thinking about this this morning, wondering if anyone had noticed I'd gone dark on the subject.  The truth is, I got sidetracked by a personal project, and then something new got posted for playtesting which I jumped into.  But the Insula Primalis terrain should be simpler than the Megalopolis terrain was (it's all rocks, not individual buildings), so I'll try to get moving on that.  I promise to have something by this weekend, sooner if I can.

I have the volcano mostly ready to go from my time playtesting Tactics.  Maybe I'll dust that file off, make sure it still works for the released version of the game, and post that one to start.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I updated the terrain file to include the Insula Primalis volcano.  It was pretty much ready to go from playtesting and all I had to do was add a few instructions.  That should give you something to chew on until I can find time to do more.

Barryzimm

Cool! Thanks!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I added files for tile #1 of the Insula Primalis map to the terrain collection on my site.  I'm hoping that since everything's made of rocks in Insula Primalis, this set of elevations can act as a template for the rest of the tiles and they won't end up being as much work as having to create semi-unique buildings for every hex.  We'll see if that translates into me posting the files any faster than before or not. :)

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I hate to do this once I've posted something, but I decided I didn't like the way the cliff walls looked in the "tile 1" file, so I've changed it.  The difference is subtle, and if you've already printed out the first one, you may not even feel like you need to redo it.  The only difference is that in the first file I posted, the rocks on the sides of the terrain looked small and thin, which I didn't like.  The new file has cliff sides made of rocks which look bigger (they match the volcano sides better now), which I think looks better.

The rest of the Insula Primalis terrain I make will be patterned off this new look.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Insula Primalis' tile #2 has been added to the package of terrain on my site.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I posted Insula Primalis tiles #3, #4, and #5 to the package on my site.  Since #7 has no elevations on it and #8 is the volcano which I've already finished, that just leaves tile #6 to complete.

Tile #5 has that little box canyon, and I tried to find something special I could do to that 3-tile elevation in the middle, but I couldn't find anything that looked good.  I wanted it to have gold veins along the sides or crystals growing out of it or something, but nothing looked right.  Too bad. :(

jac

Thanks!!!! I finished the buildings yesterday and started to play against baron blade....buildings make everything easier!!! Like LOS and range are not a problem anymore... then started subzero against omnitron, another epic battlle... a little bit difficult ro muve omnitron around but still fun

now thinking about making sunzero impaling structure it will be so much fun to see how puting one over the other increase the level where you are standing!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

That looks fantastic!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I have always hated the look of miniatures on a flat map, just annoyed me.  Now I'm thinking I want that skyline, and so now I want the miniatures too.

That looks fantastic.

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Who is zis "subzero"? We start playing Mortal Kombat or zomzing?

craigpbrown
craigpbrown's picture

Hi Guys,

@Spiff.... Can I just say your work looks totally stunning!!  I'm massively impressed with your skill and work my friend!

I've just picked up tactics and played my first game last night and this would improve the game 10 fold.

Craig :)

If you could be a superhero, which animal would you be? - John, Sarah & Duck

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Thanks.  Enjoy!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

After an irritating (I'm sure) delay, I've finally added the last tile of terrain to the Insula Primalis set.  It's got waterfalls!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Spiff you are a crazy and wonderful person. Would it be too much to ask for some photos of papercraft Insula Primalis? The Megalopolis ones look great!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I have no photos of Insula Primalis because I haven't actually printed out a full set.  Each of the Megalopolis buildings was a unique combination of the shape of the terrain and the building art itself, so I printed and assembled each one to make sure I had it right.  In Insula Primalis, there's pretty much just level-2 rocks and level-3 rocks (plus the volcano, of course), so once I had the template for each type of rock nailed down, I could replicate it without needing to print it and assemble it each time to make sure I had it correct.

Are you just curious, or was there an actual need behind your question?

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I'm just curious and want to see how it looks =). No biggie!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Now I'm kind of interested in 3D printing these. Maybe I'll get a couple printed as a test and see how they do.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

My group played with the Megalopolis terrain and loved it and are putting subtle pressure on me to make an Insula Primalis set, so it'll probably happen sometime.

techlee
techlee's picture

I'm wondering if for Insula Primaris if finding some old Heroscape terrain wouldn't be easier/cheaper than 3d printing it. ;)

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Maybe, but that kind of misses the point of having a fun papercraft project to complete, doesn't it? ;)

I have to admit, I'm not in love with the Insula Primalis terrains.  I think the rock texture is too high-contrast, and I'm afraid that if I were to print the entire set, the terrain would make the gameboard too busy (this is in contrast to the Megalopolis terrains which are colorful but still relatively flat, so they don't have that problem).  I'd love to use something like the ground textures in WoW (sort of cartoony but still look nice), but I haven't spent the time to do a thorough internet search to see if those are even available.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I found something online I like for the rocks, so I may take another shot at them.  If you like them how they are now, feel free to print them.  If you're interested in waiting to see if I can make the new thing work, you may want to wait.

cmschex
Playtester

How do you store your Megalopolis terrain?  I'm intersted in crafting it but there is no way it'd going in the game box

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Store it in the boxes of other, lesser games, and burn the previous contents!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

The Megalopolis set fits in two shoe boxes.  I'll let you know how much room the Insula Primalis set takes up once I complete it.

The initial prototypes of the rocks using the new textures I found look really good, so I'll be posting pix and working towards a fully assembled set soon.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

You are killing me Spiff.

I didn't get mini's because I don't like Mini's on flat surfaces.

Now I love this terrain, and I want to use it, but if I do I will want Mini's to go with it.

grrr.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I'll let you in on a secret...

I bought the minis, but have also decided to buy the painted ones because, screw it, I'm an adult man who gets paid a lot so why not?  That means I'll have a set of unpainted minis I could let go for a reasonable price.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

OK, time for some sample pix:

This shows the new texture for the rocks.  It's not as dark as the other one and the color matches what's on the tile better.  Overall, the rocks aren't as interesting as the Megalopolis buildings, but that's because... they're rocks.

This one shows what I put on the rocks which are up against jungle hexes.  It gives the jungle a third dimension, which I think looks good.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The PDF files don't seem to have the Citizens of the Sun base on them. That might be a nice way to spice things up a bit on Insula Primalis.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

The whatnow?  There's a base?  Whatchootalkinbout?

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Look more closely at tile #5 =)

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Is that what that is?  It's so fuzzy and indistinct, I thought it was maybe crystal outcroppings or something.  When I get to that tile, I'll definitely put windows in the rock walls, now that I know what it is.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The base shows up on a card in SotM but it's also indistinct. I can't remember which card now though. Here's how it looks in the video game:

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Pretty sure it was discussed during Playtesting Spiff. If it wasn't, it was discussed by us playtesters during a game of SotM via G+.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Someone here also said the star-shaped building on the Megalopolis tile was Revocorp. I could never figure out how that conclusion was reached. 

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

That was me.

Citizen Dawn Scenario 1.

The page before the instructions shows the Revo Corp building and an explosion, the shape of the building is the three prongs, and that is where the citizens start from in scenario 1.

Bas

Plus you can see the RevoCorp sign on the tile, on top of the roof of that building.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I just kind of decided it was during playtesting, and I guess I was right, considering it has a REVOCorp sign over it.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

MigrantP wrote:

The base shows up on a card in SotM but it's also indistinct. I can't remember which card now though. 

Found it randomly - it's Citizen Slash, from Vengeance Baron Blade's deck.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I never got around to mentioning this, but the Insula Primalis terrain has been fully updated and posted to my Tactics site.

Attachments: 

Bas

I love the look of that vulcano! Nicely done!

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

That looks awesome, Spiff!

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I've noticed that my gaming group never chooses Omnitron-V.  The reason is almost entirely because we only ever use the 3D terrain in our games (because I lurve the 3D terrain) and it's a pain in the arse to use a single 3-hex mini or standup when the ground is of differing levels.  So, I added a new set of alternate Omnitron-V standups to my standups file.  It's a set of three, extra large, one-hex O-V standups which are easy to move as a group, then have them inhabit the individual hexes he ends up on.  As a bonus, when O-V is on multiple differing levels of elevation, the one-hex standups make it look like he's crawling up the side of the building or whatever, which is pretty cool.

As always, you can find the file on my Tactics site (link in my signature below).

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

This was it. The thread that finally convinced me to get Tactics. Spiff, you do stellar work; I don't even think about playing the card game without the extra shinies you've made. This stuff is even better.

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

Pages