The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Next Sentinels Day London

662 posts / 0 new
Last post
pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester
Next Sentinels Day London

As we're approaching the end of May, it's probably time to organise when we're meeting up for the next London Sentinels Day (TM). As Ameena's partner Ja'ph can only do Sundays, the options are:

Sunday 8th (LOB: The Mad Hatter, 3-7 Stamford Street, SE1 9NY)

Sunday 15th (LOB: The Mad Hatter, 3-7 Stamford Street, SE1 9NY)

Sunday 22nd (LOB: The Mad Hatter, 3-7 Stamford Street, SE1 9NY)

Sunday 29th (LOB: The Mad Hatter, 3-7 Stamford Street, SE1 9NY)

So, which date suits people the best? I would be aiming for the 15th/22nd so that GSF has time to cross the Atlantic before we play.

Also if people find the LoB locatin too much of a pain to get to as the Old Star is probably no longer available, let me know and I'll organise something, probably at the Jugged Hare as they were prettty good last time (although they only open at 12 on Sunday so it would be later than usual).

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I favour the 29th, since I'll definitely be in London by then.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ja'Ph' will be arriving at my house in about 45 mins so I'll try and remember to ask him if he has a preference. I don't think it'll matter, though, unless he happens to end up working any of those Sundays. I just looked up that Mad Hatter place on Google Maps and as I was thinking we'd have to get a Tube from Victoria...then remembered that trains from Swanley go to Blackfriars as well so we can get one of those instead and just walk across the bridge :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Neither the 8th or the 22nd would work for me, so the 29th would also be my favoured choice. I'll certainly be along for GSF, that previous play wasn't really enough to get into the game so I'd like to play again all the way through.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ja'Ph' is working on a couple of Sundays, he thinks early in June, but needs to check on it to confirm. I'll see if I can remember to remind him later :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'd like to play a complete game of GSF too :(

Unlikely I'll get to London again any time soon though. Sad times. 

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ja'Ph' is working on the 8th, he's just told me, and he says that when he's in work tomorrow he'll say he can't do any other Sundays after that so hopefully we should be able to attend any of the others. Awaiting confirmation though.

I am the Wordweaver...

Under3
Under3's picture
Playtester

I would like to come along, unfortunately I only know my work rota a little bit in advance so I shall just have to sit here with fingers crossed that it's at a time I can make it.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Unless something major changes, we'll be at LoB on the 29th June. The reservations open on the 15th at 12. The meet-up itself opens at 12, as, presumably, does the pub. As it's part of the LoB meetup, could non-LoBsters join up and reserve spaces to avoid us getting in trouble.

I will bring GSF along as well as Sentinels, but as it looks like there'll be a few of us, could a second copy of Sentinels make it's way down as well, please?

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Just as a reminder to people, the London on Board meet up for the 29th is now open for booking.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ah yes, thanks for the reminder - Ja'Ph' and I shall be there :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Thanks for the reminder, RSVP'ed.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

UK people, owing to a lot of busyness this month, the only Sunday I can make in July is next Sunday, the 13th. Is this convenient for people? We'd be back at the Mad Hatter, same place as last time.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I'll try and remember to ask Ja'Ph' tonight when he's online and get back to you :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Okay, we're signed up for it :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Just a reminder (more to myself than anything) that the game day is tomorrow!

It ends at 18.00 because of the football

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Time to sort out August's London Sentinels' Day (TM).

All are at the Railway Tavern, which is near Liverpool Street Station

3rd August

10th August

17th August

24th August

31st August

There are also Saturday games at the Theodore Bullfrog, Between Charing Cross and Embankment.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

After a bit of searching around on Google Maps I finally managed to find both Liverpool Street Station (which I've never been to, except in Monopoly ;)) and the specific Railway Tavern you meant (originally Googling just that name gave me about six results, lol). It looks like we can get the train to Blackfriars (if it's open this time...), or maybe Farringdon (as I seem to recall that the train that goes through Blackfriars stops there as well) and then the Tube from there. I'll try and remember to mention it to Ja'Ph' this evening and confirm which day we both fancy coming along.

I am the Wordweaver...

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

If only you'd been near Liverpool Street Station back in may when I was staying near Aldgate ;)

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

We can come along on the 10th if that sounds good.

I am the Wordweaver...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

10th is fine with me. The booking is already open.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Oh, cool I'll go and sign up now, then :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Given that this is the 3rd (or is it 4th?) date in a row that I have missed, I'm just going to go ahead and say I can't do Sundays anymore, sorry guys.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Umm, so Ja'Ph' and I were a bit late (twenty minutes), given that we had to wait about twenty minutes for a Tube from Blackfriars. Then we emerged from Liverpool Street Station and couldn't find the Railway Tavern. So we asked a random policeman and he said it wasn't there any more 'cause it had been boarded up and stuff, so we went along the road a bit and found a place that looked like it had been boarded up, stood there for a while, then went off and did other stuff as we had no way of contacting anyone to ask what was going on.

Now we're home I've had a better look on Google Maps (I was kind of tired when I did so the other night, and forgot to Street View it and stuff) and found that the place is actually there, and that it was round the other side of the station from where we came out (we'd've come out near it if that exit hadn't been closed off, however).

So, whoops, lol. But at least we'll be able to find it next time, if we're there again (and hopefully there will be more Tube trains headed along the Circle line so we won't be so late again :P). Sorry if you were sat waiting for us to arrive :(.

I am the Wordweaver...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

As today didn't work out so well, do people want to try again next Sunday? Same place and time?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ja'Ph' thinks he is working next Sunday - we'll have to get back to you when he knows which Sundays he's off.

I am the Wordweaver...

ViolentSilence

I'm out for the next few weekends (flat/house-share hunting basically, but I don't have time to see places after work), is it too early to try and pick a time in September? I'd be good to meet you all!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ja'Ph' is working next week but not on the 31st so we can do then if it's okay.

I am the Wordweaver...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

31st is fine for me. Booking is open for that sesseion now.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Okies, have just gone and signed up for it :). We should be able to actually find the place this time rather than mooching about on the wrong road and asking for directions from someone who thought the place had shut two weeks previously ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

And time for September's Sentinels day to be announxced. LoB has something every weekend (actually every single day except today, but that's just silly) this month, so when can people make it?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I shall inquire tonight and get back to you :). Will it be at that Railway place again?

I am the Wordweaver...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

All the Sunday sessions are at the Railway Tavern. The Saturday ones are at the Theodore Bullfrog

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I will say that if the day were the 21st I would definitely be able to attend.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

This event seems to have become as regular as the Indianapolis meetups, maybe it should be stickied? (Or maybe there should be some overview thread that is stickied.)

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

You are correct! If a city gets meetups on such a regular basis, they get a stickied thread!

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yay us :D.

It's looking like Ja'Ph' may not have a free weekend this month (lots of full working weekends and then we are going to the wedding of a friend of mine on the 27th) but he needs to confirm it, which he intends to do at some point within the next few days.

I am the Wordweaver...

Mezike
Mezike's picture

ewww, it's all sticky in here now!

This month is crazy busy at the weekends for me but I would very much like to come along next month. I'll keep an eye out for the October dates!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

We're not gonna be able to make anything for this month, I'm afraid - Ja'Ph's next free day on a weekend will be on the fifth.

I am the Wordweaver...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Ok. Sorry you can't make it this month. As Matchstickman can make the 21st, we'll make that the Sentinels Day. At the Railway Tavern right gy the huilding site by Liverpool Street station.

Don't forget to book with the London on Board site.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Duh un, will see you there!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Sunday sunday sunday!

I actually managed to get along there, Huzzah!, and much gaming was done. There were 4 games of Sentinels played, with lots of playtesting with fan made decks (I felt quiet left out with all those character ideas flying around) and official WotC decks, so much cut out paper! We lost as many games as we won but even when we lost we put up a good fight.

After that it was time for Tactics, it was my first time seeing the finished product. I was impressed by the comics/scenario books, particularly with their crossovers with the flavour text on the cards.

We played all 3 Blade scenarios, with AZ and Ra taking the roles of the heroes.
The first scenario was completely dominated by baron Blade, the heroes spent a lot of time chasing him around the board for no effect, I think the heroes managed a whopping 1 point of damage to Blade over the course of the whole scenario!

Scenario 2 was the complete opposite, the heroes crushed everything that Baron Blade put down. With area attacks coming from both AZ and Ra Blade went down quiet a few times too. Even with Forcefield turrets and his Kinetic Redistributor up and running it was a whitewash for Blade.

The cumulation of the Baron's plot was a nailbiter. There were no turrets on the board to start with but that soon changed, forcefield turrets were the name of the game. It seemed wrong but Ra kept using Drawn to the Flame to push the Turrets around, and the Pylons! AZ kept up the area damage with Thermal Shockwave again, and it proved very effective, but just as deadly to the heroes with Blade Redistributing it back at them. Eventually it came down to the final turn, with 2 Pylons needed and 2 surrounding AZ at 3 damage each, and Blade there ready to redistribute the damage if the Pylons didn't explode.
Heroes scored a very close victory!

Most frequently used powers
Baron Blade: Kinetic Redistributor (Paul)
AZ: Thermal Shockwave (Matt, not on these forums)
Ra: Drawn to the Flame (Me)

Stupid moment: Ra aimed as his first action, then use Drawn to the Flame rolling a 4d attack, three 2s and one 1, automisses on a  2.

Fun had: Lots.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Glad you enjoyed yourself, MatchstickMan. *shakes fist at the meddling heroes for ruinging the lgorious plan to bring order to Megalopolis*

So, time for October's to be planned. There's a LoB on every weekend, so which days can people mnake?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ja'Ph's next free Sunday will be the 12th :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

So I was at a friend's wedding yesterday (with Ja'Ph') and I unexpectedly met up with another old school friend and at the reception we started talking about games - her partner said he played Magic a bit and so I then had to say something along the lines of "There's this card game we play that's co-operative and it's to do with superheroes and stuff and even though I'm not really interested in superheroes or comics and stuff I think this game is really amazing..." and we then spent over an hour talking about Sentinels and I basically sold it to them because they say they're gonna look into buying it :D. I also told them about the regular London meet-ups and they might be along to one of those at some point (they both work in London so they said they can get there pretty easily), so we can split into two groups or something if they show up and there's too many of us for a single game :).

I am the Wordweaver...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

All will be assimilated.

As no-one's said otherwise, next London Sentinels day will be Sunday October 12th. Don't forget to book through the London on Board site.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ahh I see sign-ups are available - I'm in :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Mezike
Mezike's picture

RSVP'd smiley

I'm busy up till around 2pm but the afternoon is clear after then.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Bit of an issue with November's date as there are holidays in the middle for 3/4 of the regular group, so, available dates are just the 9th and the 30th, both Sundays, both at the Railway Tavern. Any preferences for which of those two?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I think we're up for the 30th :).

I am the Wordweaver...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

30th confirmed as date of the next meetup. Booking open. Don't forget to reserve your place in the Meetup group.

Pages